Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this cloudiness on the wind screen (fog), a bit tough to get off, most effective is wax, lasts a week then comes back.

Anyone else have this problem, any good way of keeping it off?

904 Posts
From what I understand, it's the alcohol in glass cleaners that causes the hazing. In fact Rain-X products carry a warning to not use their products on plastic for that reason. I bought a used windshield that had severe hazing -- tried a number of plastic cleaners and found Mothers Plastic Polish to be the best by a long shot. Really brings it back well.

And yes, the hazing returns after a few weeks. For some reason it seems to reappear much faster if you're frequently riding in wet or high-humidity? Not sure why that is, but at least it cleans up a lot faster when re-polishing a recently polished shield.

I'd be real interested in finding a way to keep it from coming back, but it's my impression that it's an actual deterioration of the plastic caused by a chemical reaction to the alcohol-based cleaners (Windex, etc.).

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Try Honda Cleaning Polish. Its in a spray can. You can also pick up a small can to carry with you. I used to use it on my CBR windscreen, headlights and taillight. It cleaned then up really good and brought them back to damn near crystal clear. You may have to clean it every once in a while, but its cheap and it looks good.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I use nothing but Harley Clean and Polish in the spray can. I have never had a hazing problem with my windshield, which is over 4 years old. It is clear and shiny as a new one, and the Clean and Polish does an amazing job on bugs. Harley recommended it for use on its V-rod powder coated frames and anodized parts early on which is how I got on to it. It doesn't seem to leave any residue at all, but does a good job of polishing things up. Caveat: It will not replace an occasional application of metal polish and elbow grease on chrome and aluminum. (But will keep them looking great between times!)

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use "Plexus". Its a plastic cleaner, polish, and wax. It works on all plastics and It works great on my windshield as well as my helmet's faceshield. I have to go to the local Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer to get it though, as HD doesn't carry it. Theres no alcohol or ammonia in it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Maguire's PlastiX.
I discovered this stuff years ago when the plastic headlight lenses on my wife's TBird began to cloud over. It's at any Kragen, Checker, Pep Boys, whatever... Pretty amazing stuff on any plastic that needs to be clear.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I have used windex wipes on the plastic, I guess that didn't help my cause. Will give the above suggestions a go.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I think its the ammonia, not the alcohol. I tried HD's swirl remover last night, and it works faster than "the Bom".

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Daniii said:
I think its the ammonia, not the alcohol. I tried HD's swirl remover last night, and it works faster than "the Bom".
if you think so you using it wrong - it is a wipe-on wipe-off, something could be as quick but not faster. HD swirl remover (I have some) doesn't even come close.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
nd2 said:
if you think so you using it wrong - it is a wipe-on wipe-off, something could be as quick but not faster. HD swirl remover (I have some) doesn't even come close.
I'll give it another shot tonite....

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
this is how I use it - I soak the applicator (soft cotton chamois) wring it out but, keep it fairly damp - spray 5-6 squirts of bom on it - wipe it on following with a micro fiber towel and wipe off. It's amazing how the bugs come off. Don't spray the bom directly on the windshield - it will not work as effectively.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
nd2 said:
this is how I use it - I soak the applicator (soft cotton chamois) wring it out but, keep it fairly damp - spray 5-6 squirts of bom on it - wipe it on following with a micro fiber towel and wipe off. It's amazing how the bugs come off. Don't spray the bom directly on the windshield - it will not work as effectively.
Aah. I was thinking of 'Bom's Away", the polish. I have scratches I'm trying to get rid of. The HS Swirl remover seems to work better as a rubbing compound on plastic than the "Boms Away". I'll finish with the Bom, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts