Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the chance to tell Willie G. how to improve his design of the V-ROD what would you tell him? As a Geezer I would want to know why he didn't raise the touring windshield a couple more inches so whats left of my hair wouldn't get messed up.:D :D :D

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I think the 6 speed and fuel tank would be about the best upgrade going!Oh maybe 100hp more!:diablo:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FastVRSCA....where did ou get that smilley ?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
John,
you don't want a 6 speed to go with it?:slap2:

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
First, I'd thank him for the awesome job he did! Then, I'd want another couple gallons of fuel.

- No matter what they put out there, there will always be people who want to change it...they did a pretty good job on their end this time!-

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
#1 is definitely the gas tank.
#2 for me would be to be able to remove the keys after starting- like on my softail. I hate a dangling key-chain.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
A bigger fuel tank, I'm only getting about 80 miles before I need to fill up.............Eric

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
More fuel, I mean, come on, how hard can it be? 28 tooth and 6 speed man, at the price it should be there already. Think about the dog's ass Willie me mate, you're a designer and it's a disgrace, fix it. And the seat, for god's sake, on a bike that costs this much I DO NOT expect to have to change the seat because the one it comes with has poor ergonomics. Otherwise, GREAT JOB!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The fuel thing ain't going to happen in this frame. Watch the Discovery Channel documentary. I wish you guys would get off that kick. As for mileage, dump the PCIIIr's or get them properly tuned. With a proper tune the bike gets 38 - 42 mpg regardless of pulley size. That equates to at least 120 miles between stops with a minimum of 1/2 gallon left in the tank. I don't know about you guys but even on a touring bike I stop every 120 miles or 2 hours, whichever comes first, to take a walk, stretch my legs and have a smoke. The fuel capacity of the V-Rod has never been an issue, even on 400 mile days......

Back to the question :)

• Better stock seat
    Better gear ratios (the number of gears doesn't matter if the spacing is all wrong, i.e. lower first and taller 5th would be fine)
    Ditch the solid rims or offer alternatives

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mjw930

In Milwaukee at the v-rod exhibit I met that design engineer who was featured in the Discovery Channel v-rod special. Asked why the solid rims ......was it for aero dynamics or what. He said the only reason they are on the v-rod is because Willie wanted them. I guess that meant the look! To be honest with ya I like em.:notworthy

·
Registered
284 Posts
Come on fellas, those of you that have had HDs before will know that there are so many items designed intentionally by "Bastards Incorporated" so that owners will go out and change them ASAP. Look at the rubber hand grips, foot pegs, the rear seat, average shocks etc.
It's not a fault of the V Rod, it's typical HD. (I've owned 5 in 20 years, and thats why the parts books are so large, glossy and enticing.
I think it's the most complete HD I've owned though (ie, braided lines, great breaks etc etc.)
Bloody fuel tank had to go. I need around 60km range extra to go anywhere inland here with confidence. Just 4 more liters of petrol. Must be able to build a plastic tank just that bit larger.
Karl, do you buy your parts in Oz, or import them? I see you have the hard bags fitted.

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
I think a different design for the "dog's ass". I'd like something available that is metal instead of plastic, including the rear turn signals. The plastic cheapens the overall look IMHO.
:2cents BTW, I like the solid wheels.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I guess I really wouldn't tell him to change anything - sure, more fuel would be good - but where are you going to put it?

One thing I was really dissappointed at was the VRSC-B model. What a total waste of time! Apart from the black frame (which some people like) I can see no good reason to even consider buying it - the un-chromed engine parts look crappy to begin with, and are only going to look worse after a year or two exposed to the elements.

What I would really have liked to see would be a Revolution-engined bike that weighed about 150 lbs less - maybe even sharing the same basic frame as the V-Rod, but with less rake on the forks, the pegs set back, and a minimized upswept exhaust. Throw in lightweight wheels and cut-down handlebars and you'd have a really incredible bike.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
vroddrew said:
I guess I really wouldn't tell him to change anything - sure, more fuel would be good - but where are you going to put it?

In the Air box skin..but you could only put a gallon or two otherwise it would look really dorky like that german skin kinda does.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts