Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the dealer today to pick up the v-rod,I wanted to see their demo v-rod,w/the supertrapp.Talking to the service guy,and he said that they only got 107hp.That's with the race tuner.I got 113 with the pcIIIr.

But he thinks it's because of the 28t pulley they put on.
Then he said I could be that it doesn't have many miles on it.I had 1200miles when I had mine dynoed.

what gives?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Usually an engine that is broken in or seated will produce more hp. The 28tooth pulley should not effect hp at all.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Unless they didn't correctly calibrate the dyno for the new ratio. HP is nothing more than torque * rpm / 5252. If the is calculating a lower RPM through a miscalculation on the final drive ratio the dyno will report lower numbers. Let's see, 117 * .93 = 108 :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
No, A dyno does not need to be set for your gearing. The dyno could care less what your gearing is, it measures speed of the drum and rpm of the engine. At least all the dynos that I have run do it in this manner.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Max,

I remember seeing in the setup guide for one of the dynos and it included a correction factor for the gearing. I think it was for testing a bike that didn't have a tach pickup. With our coil over plug ignition how do they get an ignition pulse to fire a tach signal on a dyno?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
They can use a paperclip to attach to this but I have a lead off of mine for them to hook upto.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mark the first dyno run I made the people did not have any idea how to hook up so It took a lot of looking to come up with that connection. The dyno we have for cars is nice, I have an inductive pickup that will measure even sitting on the windshield, all I have to input is the number of cylinders.

Max

1 - 11 of 11 Posts