Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· 20 Eyes in my Head
5,562 Posts
(Pack a lunch and grab a beer....it's a loooong one!)

Bangle, I see your point about the movies. I was hoping to see one in the street racing movie "Biker Boyz", which I did like anyways. HD could have gave one out to put on the set there.

Hind sight is always 20/20 and if you look at the compainy's bottom line, they DO know how to wring out every last red cent from the markets pockets. I had a chat with a guy the other day that claims the VR configuration is the future for the 2006 (?) EPA emissions guidelines and he claims that the air cooled motor will eventually be sold as an option to Harley's watercooled/fuel injected standard equipment. Basically, if the VRSC model does indeed die out, the motor or a close relative of it is gonna be the future weather anyone likes it or not thanks to the EPA guidelines.

Is all this true? I don;t know. I am just passing on a few cliffnotes from the conversation I had with an aftermarket parts supplier, so take it for what it is worth. As I mentioned before, I bought my VRSC because it fit as if the bike has been custom tailored to my ergonomic dimensions. I absolutely LOVE this bike and bought it to ride into the ground and beyond. It is my "Turn-Key vacation" everytime I fire her up. It's my rocket ship that launches with a simple twist of the throttle. It is also the most COMFORTABLE stock bike that I ever took a ride on....so comfortable in fact that I purchased it WITHOUT a test ride! I based the performace and handling off of what you guys write about day in and day out on this forum and from sitting on the bike in dealerships around the area. I also like the price I got. Whooooole lot of bike for a reasonable HD price.

Now here's where I think many other traditional twin riders are at this point in time, due to the low number of VRSC's in MY area. You just don't see them enough to apreciate them or have them grow on you like you guys out west or down in Florida. I thought the VRSC was a joke the first year or two they were out. Why? Because it was different to the millionth degree than what I guaged as a cool bike or a nice ride. My dad had some local patch holders that hung around a lot at his auto body shop as a kid and I spent my childhood with some 1%'ers and their rides being the at the top of the coolness mountin in my young eyes. Pan's, shovels, and later, the Evo's. I was sold on all that "tradition" stuff and so on, like so many riders today. I had and loved a Sportster 1200, which I still have a "nostalgic" love for my Sporty as it was a really fun bike as well. Then, a little article I came accross in Cycle magazine started me thinking about the VRSC.

I then looked at HD's site at the VRSC's. They grew on me like fungus and then I was hooked. Next thing you know, I have a VRSC on my desktop. Then, I find this forum in a desparate search to find what the real V-Rodders though of their rides and to see if their were any issues with them. It was all positive and I am glad I found this place. You guys had me sold on this bike before I got to the dealer.

To make a long story short, I finally sat on one at the dealer and that was straw that broke the camels back. I aggressively shopped around for the best deal and found it. The weather broke, i picked up my 03 VRSCA and took her maiden voyage 30 miles home from the dealership and have been a complete VRSC ADDICT ever since! I use the term addict quite accurately too....it is much like the cravings a crack addict must get when I look out the window and see the weather going to shit. When I must drive the Cherokee, I always have the VRSC on my mind. I think I developed a twinge of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder because I find it hard to complete a thought without it being related to my bike. It really rekindled the love and romanticism I have had for motorcycles since I was a child.

My point to all this is that more of the others will hop the fence in due time. Guys that actually see my bike at work, the same that tried pushing me into a Softail or Dynaglide model, are now crowding my ride on breaks at work or asking to sit on it...ect. They give comments like "This is a lot nicer looking than in the pictures" or "That bike is starting to grow on me"...."Now that I see it in person...."....ect.

They are not in your face at every stoplight or parked outside every bar in town like the other HD models are. They are not iin the movies or television as the other HD models have been....and they are DIFFERENT! That is where the irony lyes as most HD riders claim the "freedom" and "individuality" of owning and riding Harley's is what it is all about. Many riders don't even realize they are acting as lemmings, the opposite of individual.

Later,
Gary

· Registered
67 Posts
Did anyone hear rumor of production stopping because of a feud between HD and Porche? Yall know how rumors are but a dealer in NY had mentioned this. Its probably a bunch of bull but thought I would see if anyone else had heard this.

· Registered
15 Posts
I just bought mine at a dealership here in NC... they started selling their v-rod models slightly below list. (I think they had some inventory that hadn't moved for a while.) Anyway, at the new price they seemed to fly out the door... everthing sold except the orange VRSCB models, the ugliest in my opinion.

The v-rod is my first H-D. At closer to $20k, I had deemed the v-rod too expensive. (Yeah, now I know... what was I thinking?) But at under $17k, I jumped in eagerly.

Long-time H-D riders are used to a cost premium. But to me it seems that if H-D is targeting the v-rod toward first-time H-D riders, those potential customers are somewhat cost-conscious... and that $3k (15%) price drop makes all the difference.

· Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Can't really see Porche having a beef w/Harley.They were only a contractor for refinement of the engine. Harley should own all the rights to any proprietary info and technology.

· Registered
224 Posts
Seems to me that production would not stop, the engine has been tested, produced, and in it's 3 rd year run. Plus, Harley and Porsche posted 10 million apiece to the test lab. That means Harley owns half. Don't see any reason production would stop. Probably a rumor, designed to move more V-Rods! Well, anyway I've been riding my bike just about every day! The weather has been so GREAT the past few weeks. At least in Georgia!

· SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Z16monte said:
Can't really see Porche having a beef w/Harley.They were only a contractor for refinement of the engine. Harley should own all the rights to any proprietary info and technology.
I don't know whether there is a beef between HD and Porsche but I understand that the production facility in KC is actually a joint venture between HD and Porsche (at least the motor portion of the facility) and that many of the internal engine component suppliers are Porsche OEMs.

BTW, I tend to ignore most of what I hear from the dealers regarding what's happening at the mother ship unless it's confirmed in the press (HD is a public company, if they are having supplier disputes that effected production it would be in the public record).

· VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,766 Posts
I know I am preaching to the choir, but what does it matter. We did not buy our V-Rods based off of sale price and or the production life of it. Lets be real, any one of us could have bought any bike we chose and maybe two for the price of a Rod. As for those investment type people that want to buy a Harley for it's resale value let them buy them It's good for everyone that they do. They wont ride them much and when we wear ours out or crash them, the'll be some around to buy after Harley stops making them. As for lowering the price overseas, hell I'm all for that. Maybe here stateside too. That was I could run one one on the street and one only at the track, like Kaz!! :rofl2: Either way you look at it we bought it for a number of reasons and to each of us they are different. I work for GM and have family that works for Harley at the York, PA assembly plant and between what I know of GM and Harley, the V-Rod as we know it won't have a production run forever like the Sportster. It was ment to do what everyone else said on this thread before me. Bring new people into Harley's market share, explore new technology. Nothing more. What is left are people like us to push the aftermarket, to RIDE our Rods and let other people see what we love about our bikes and that will determine the longevity of the line. :thumb:

· '02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Thoughts--

Riding with a friend on his Aprilla Tuono today. Great bike -- 60 degree v-twin that wheelies in second gear, and he loves it better than his Honda CBR 994 ("Handling is great"). Funny, though, he's cranking on on the twistie run and I blow past him in second gear...80 before I have to upshift. Crap, what a bike....whole run in second gear, with a breakout into third once in awhile..

I go onto Rt 78, drop from 5th to 4th and pull, and I'm at 115 in two seconds....hanging on and look at the speedo and say holy $hit as I let off on the throttle. The speedo flys up from 80 as quick as it does from 30....

This is not only a work of bike art, it's faster than hell...

We're parked at a small town in west Jersey, and a guy stops to say what a great bike it is...buddy with the Aprilla get second admiration..." Hey that's a great bike too", we agree "it's the first Harley that's not a P.O.S.". Buddy with the Aprilla is a bit jealous -- and his Tuono is one hell of a fine bike that I'd be glad to drive. This is a Harley? Fat guys with HD tatooed on their friends asses? Naw, but that's the cliche, isn't it... Never would have bought one until I rode the V-rod....

I'm amazed what this bike does, and how well it does it. Got it's issues (touches down on right hand curves too easily, for one), and dies on the downshift after some hard driving....

But, damn, what a bike. Harley or not, I've never cranked on anything that's more like a locomotive than this.

And at the right price...

Good riding, everyone--

B

· Registered
393 Posts
Thought I am technically a second purchaser of a Harley, my first Harley, a 66 Sporty, was bought in '91. I liked the fact that the '66 XLCH was a great performer in it's time. I never considered purchasing another Harley until the V-Rod. Once they developed a motorcycle that wasn't all show, I was interested and bought it despite my finances. (2 kids, wife doesn't work, cop salary) I am extremely happy with the Rod and plan to own it until I can't ride anymore. If Harley wants new buyers and a slightly younger average buyer, they have to produce something that can perform. I'm not a speed freak but am not quite at the point of just wanting to putt around either. I want some get up and go every now and then. They really need to push exposure. As mentioned, some customs, movies, etc with V-Rod's would do wonders for their sales of the Rod. Either way, I have mine, love it, and if it's discontinued, oh well.

· Premium Member
1,502 Posts
A large portion of the current market is female riders. Although all of the models can be lowered to support 5' riders, the forward controls and reduced reach option for the VROD do not support this market segment. My 5' 2" lady is an experienced rider but she cannot reach the gear shift.

Motorcycle product mix:
1 Qtr 04 1 Qtr 03
Touring 21,404 18,488
Custom 34,039 34,313
VRSC 2,825 4,659
Sportster(R) 15,822 13,148
Total 74,090 70,608

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.