Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard a rumor here and there that HD will drop V-rod line due to poor sales. Anyone out there have any good intel in this rumor?

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
First quarter sales were down almost 50% from last year, while every other HD bike catagory went up. I cant figure out why such a huge drop. What are the V-rod's compitition? Warrior, Vegas? Those sales have to be going somewhere. It would be a drag if the V fell by the wayside and really became the stepchild. Of course I would still love it. I just dont see how it cant be selling when everyone that sees mine says how great it looks, and as we all know the ride is awesome.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
adamsg said:
First quarter sales were down almost 50% from last year, while every other HD bike catagory went up. I cant figure out why such a huge drop. What are the V-rod's compitition? Warrior, Vegas? Those sales have to be going somewhere. It would be a drag if the V fell by the wayside and really became the stepchild. Of course I would still love it. I just dont see how it cant be selling when everyone that sees mine says how great it looks, and as we all know the ride is awesome.
If sales are down that far, that is aproblem for Harley. Is that VRSCA salesor B, or combined? How are they doing Overseas compared to the US?

I think they should not have split the marque so finely with the B, rather concentrate on accessories, new gear etc and do something major with the motor - like a bagger with 6 gears and more torque with more technology to offer an alternative to the Ultra classic line maybe. :2cents:

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Here's the clip from their quarterly report:

Motorcycle product mix:
1 Qtr 04 1 Qtr 03
Touring 21,404 18,488
Custom 34,039 34,313
VRSC 2,825 4,659
Sportster(R) 15,822 13,148
Total 74,090 70,608

Thats down 39% for the V. Sorry I said 50% at first. It was just a wag. But its still huge compaired to all the rest.
Here's the thread on the financials:
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4791

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I can't see the Rod being dropped after all of the humps that Harley went over to put it on the market,and all of the dealer offered accessorys.The dealer I use does'nt stock 10 any more,but still moves um.One of the salesman told me yesterday that when they get used ones they don't have much of a chance to even detail it before it's sold.The style I see that is slow to move is the polished aluminum engine,the finish is kinda knappy.Higher interest rates on MCs might be a factor.Look at yammaha's comercials.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Maybe it is just the cost of the bike. If it looks good, rides good and works good to but just isnt selling, then it must cost too much. Ill be very interested to see next quarters sales figures. For some reason I think they will be up, with the new colors and the 03's sold off. I remember reading that the 03's were over produced. So if the sales figures are for bikes sold to dealers, and dealers are still getting rid of 03s this year, that may explain slow first qtr sales for 04. The dealers didnt buy many 04s at the beginning of the year. But thats just my hairbrained theory.
On the bright side, we may all be owners of the rare and sought after V-Rod someday!

·
Ghost Rider
534 Posts
As an CPA and bike enthusiast I can say "careful with the statistics". Specially quarterly reports, they don't mean a lot in the big scheme of things. End of year figures are what is important.

As to a reason for decline in sales, what about the war and Greenspans uncertainty on inflation vs. interest rates, .... What about telling their dealers to cut the crap and cut their profit expectations a bit. Most dealers we now are trying to make the month by just selling one VRSC, I've seen them from 16.5K up to 21K (I was quoted the last figure at a local dealer!) for a stock bike with crappy rubber pegs.

Also, HD has to be more aggresive on their sales tactics here in the US. In Europe the VRod is the best selling bike (I believe) taking on such mainstays as the Ducati's, ...

I think HD should reinforce the accesory line and help/assist some aftermarket developers get going on some concepts. They should also take advantage that the Revolution engine is now "old" and start publishing/marketing based on the good track record it has.......

Heck, if Victory can sell the bikes based on their snowmobile reputation................

The VRod has a reputation of being an extremely expensive bike with little or no accesories available to it. Its a "RUB" bike as I've told before. Frankly, with the prices they want to charge, you have to be a RUB to be able to afford one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Take a look, witch models people buy instaed of V-Rods: Sportsters and Touring. Why? Because they are new. Everybody will recognize a new Sportster and everybody will see the new Road King Custom. The V-Rod B doesn't look so new. And V-Rod A with coloured parts you can see a lot in germany from people who coloured their silver bikes one or two years ago.
With an all new V-Rod touring bike for example V-Rod sales would explode (as mutch as it can with this prices...).
Teppo

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
ErVikingo said:
What about telling their dealers to cut the crap...
You bring up some very good points.

Actually, one "statistic" they ought to look at is right here on VRodforums.com: As of now, 73.4% of the poll respondants say that the V-Rod is their first Harley-Davidson. If the goal of the V-Rod was to attract new customers, then I think it has been extremely effective..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Remember everything is on a pendulum. First introduced it was a hot seller for 30K on ebay and at dealers, hard to get, a mystery. The pendulum has now swung in the other direction and things have settled down a bit.

In my opinion this is where MOCO has screwed up in a big way. Do you remember the days of the 2 year waiting lists and the impossibility of getting a Harley (*sportster not incl.) I agree they absolutly overproduce!! The mystique of getting and owning a harley is slowly deminishing.

Moco should have slowly introduced more Vrods into the market. Instead they saturated the market. Simple Marketing 101 "supply demand" why would you buy a new one today when there is an abundance of used for a good price.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a hard time believing that after only 2 years in the market with a brand new concept HD is even thinking about throwing in the towel. This bike was NOT a sudden decision to build a new bike. Fortune 500 companies like HD spend $$$$ preparing for a new product launch, with lots of research. Is it the future of HD. IMHO yes. comply or die. The MoCo has to meet new and strict EPA requirements. This bike is the 1st return fire, to say "we can do it" Do they have to overcome the staunch HD owners of the shovelhead past. Damn right they do. A battleship the size of HD doesn't turn on a dime, and they have to step carefully to not piss off the old timers, while attracting the new guys (the 72% of us) Slow sales I would imagine were expected after the initial RUSH of new tech junkies (US) Now comes the slow steady climb of sales. Not only of the Vrod, but whatever the next remake of an old classic w/ the Revolution engine. I bet we will see a Sportster version and maybe even the Heritage w/ the water cooled detuned perhaps, version of the engine. As someone pointed out you need the cottage industries to participate, new product ideas from the big boys, like Arlen Ness, KuryAkun, Custom Chrome... etc etc etc.

The bike will be here for awhile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa....Whoa.....Whoa....H-D reduced the number of V-rods produced...they anticipated lower sales numbers and to some extent, made the numbers smaller by reducing production. The did this for two reasons...first...the needed to ramp up production on the new sportsters which would and have been selling very very well. second, they needed to free up space for the crossover of the dyna's into fuel injection. And thirdly, the make the Rods just a little harder to get, thus making the market stronger for the product.

These are the words from a H-D rep.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
The local independent (Strokers) here in Dallas stopped selling Victory bikes. They just weren't selling, but The HD dealer just started selling a line of HD motored (as opposed to S&S, Revtech, etc) choppers. Market pressure rules. And if HD stopped making the V-Rod, I wouldn't care. I have mine!

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
vroddrew said:
If the goal of the V-Rod was to attract new customers, then I think it has been extremely effective..
I second that. This is my first HD.....

The economy has slowed a bit with the war and big ticket items like houses, cars and bikes have been affected. I'm in the auto industry and we see it every day. The Saturn plant just cut production for the second time in a row, saying that they are "adjusting to customer demand" (that means the dealership lots are full!!).

For me, getting the Vrod that I wanted was the objective, that's why it was purchased in April instead of July. By then it would have been long gone, to somebody else.

HoldHard

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
ErVikingo said:
I'm one of them Drew. Amen!
Thats For Sure!I think it's a Statis Bike for Harley!It's the Baddest"Style/Power" Cruzer on the Planet!Now with a Pro Stock Win and a Soon to be AMA Pro Star Championship"Come on Jamie!"The V-rod is the Flagship of Performance for Harley Davidson! :notworth: They make their money on the Baggers and Such> :2cents:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Never owned a Harley before. Probably never would if not for the V-Rod. I saw Birth of the V on the Discovery channel. Thought damn what a piece of work. Thought it was the best looking thing I had seen sense I got the 67 Vett. I had not ridden in 40 yrs. No interest. Still got my old 67 305 Honda Scrambler in the barn. Now it looks like a motorcycle shop here. 1 GRX, 1 Kartania, 2 Ninjas, and of course what started this madness 2 V-RODS. Going today to get a 7'X12 low trailer to get the Rods to Panama City. Now at 58 I am a bike junkie. I just want to feel the leather when I ride.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.