Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have led accent lighting and I just installed the killerglass. My goal is to have the killerglass led on all the time when the bike is running as well as power it off of my led switch when I use the accent lights at night. I do leave the led lights on at bike nights for hours at a time.

The only way I know how to do this would be to add two relays in my wiring. One relay coming off the switch power for my accent lights that would trigger the power to the killerglass and another relay powered off an ignition line that would also get wired to the killerglass. This way the outputs are isolated and will allow only the killerglass to be on when the bike is running as well as allow me to power both the killerglass and accent lights when the bike is off and I turn on my accent lights.

My question is will having a relay draw too much amperage due to it consuming power to make the switch internally that I should be concerned about battery drain when I am powering my accent lights and killerglass when the bike is off?

Am I missing a simpler way to wire this ? I don't want two switches.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have led accent lighting and I just installed the killerglass. My goal is to have the killerglass led on all the time when the bike is running as well as power it off of my led switch when I use the accent lights at night. I do leave the led lights on at bike nights for hours at a time.

The only way I know how to do this would be to add two relays in my wiring. One relay coming off the switch power for my accent lights that would trigger the power to the killerglass and another relay powered off an ignition line that would also get wired to the killerglass. This way the outputs are isolated and will allow only the killerglass to be on when the bike is running as well as allow me to power both the killerglass and accent lights when the bike is off and I turn on my accent lights.

My question is will having a relay draw too much amperage due to it consuming power to make the switch internally that I should be concerned about battery drain when I am powering my accent lights and killerglass when the bike is off?

Am I missing a simpler way to wire this ? I don't want two switches.
Put a diode in each supply line so that the power from the accent lights can't backfeed to the ignition source and the power from the ignition source cannot back feed to the accent lights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a diode in each supply line so that the power from the accent lights can't backfeed to the ignition source and the power from the ignition source cannot back feed to the accent lights.

Have never messed with resistors. Do you have a part or model now more that would work for this I could reference? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Have never messed with resistors. Do you have a part or model now more that would work for this I could reference? Thanks!
No, not resistors. Diodes. They are like electronic one way valves. I would need to know more about the led kit you are using and the led in the killer glass to be able to give you an idea of which component to use. Need to know the current useage or the wattage of each set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, not resistors. Diodes. They are like electronic one way valves. I would need to know more about the led kit you are using and the led in the killer glass to be able to give you an idea of which component to use. Need to know the current useage or the wattage of each set.

Looks like I have 2.16 amps on my led strips. NtI'm sure what the amperage of the killerglass is. I ordered 3 amp diodes so hopefully that should be good?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Looks like I have 2.16 amps on my led strips. NtI'm sure what the amperage of the killerglass is. I ordered 3 amp diodes so hopefully that should be good?
Depends on the rating of the other led but sounds reasonable. If it's not all that will happen is will burn out and they will light up together or the accent lights will power the ign relay.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the rating of the other led but sounds reasonable. If it's not all that will happen is will burn out and they will light up together or the accent lights will power the ign relay.

Thans for the suggestion to go with diodes. I was about to go at the way old, old school way! Lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts