Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put dual headlights on my '04 B this week, twin 5 3/4" lights with H4 55/60 bulbs.
I'd like to wire it with both lights having low beam and both with high beam so I have two lows on at all times and the same with the high beams. But if that's proven to be too much draw I'll go with one light as a low and the other as a high. If it'll handle it I'd like to have both low beams on when the highs are on.
I average between 300 and 400 miles per week and many of them are in the dark so the lights will see a lot of use.
Just wondering if anyone has experience putting that type of load on the charging system long term. I know it's a 38 amp system, and a lot of people run accessory lights and heated grips/clothing as well. I have no additional loads on the electrics, no heated grips, no heated vest, stereo, etc. I don't know how much of the existing output is used up by the fuel pump/computer/etc.
All other lighting is stock but I might put led's in the turn signals and tail/stop lite.
Experienced input is appreciated.
And I'm not going to hid, just good H4's as I understand it.

JM

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask why are you not considering HID's? With the 'A' headlamp on the '04B model you will be way ahead on the quality of light compared to old tech round H4's. I am always amazed that my single 35W HID lamp always lays down a wider and whiter patch on the road way then those old school baggers with their high beam on and driving lights sucking up four times the power and blinding oncoming traffic with their yellowish glare.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
each 55w will pull 4.6 amps for total of 9.2 amps constant and each 60 will pull 5 amps for total of 10 amps constant.
I do not have my electrical manual or service manuals handy to check what else is running and the amp draw for the lighting circuit to know if this will max out or overload the circuit. With the mileage you are riding on a weekly basis I'm guessing each ride is 50 miles or more and that should be sufficient for your charging system to maintain the battery.
I also believe that the extra heat load on the wiring harness will fail and or melt. You may want to consider wiring these lights through a relay that pulls power directly from the battery but still controlled by the switches.

P.S. switching your headlight(s) to HIDs will more than double the light output and decrease your continual amp draw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I have to ask why are you not considering HID's? QUOTE]

Becuse it's a prototype and like all of the things I try on my ride, I have to use it and look at it for a while before it becomes permanent.
So I may end up with different headlight(s) before it's over.
When I decide I'm happy with what I have I'll go to hid at least for the low beams.

Mac

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also believe that the extra heat load on the wiring harness will fail and or melt. You may want to consider wiring these lights through a relay that pulls power directly from the battery but still controlled by the switches.

P.S. switching your headlight(s) to HIDs will more than double the light output and decrease your continual amp draw.

That was my second question, I considered running heavy gage seperate wiring for headlight number two triggered off the stock wiring.

My third question would be, any good sources for reliable 5 3/4" hid retrofits?

Mac

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I'm going to put dual headlights on my '04 B this week, twin 5 3/4" lights with H4 55/60 bulbs.
I'd like to wire it with both lights having low beam and both with high beam so I have two lows on at all times and the same with the high beams. ...
Two problems with that idea:
  1. You'll blow the lights fuse; total draw on that 15 A fuse would be over 20 A
  2. The H4 housings aren't designed to have both filaments lit at the same time. The heat load could damage the housing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two problems with that idea:
  1. You'll blow the lights fuse; total draw on that 15 A fuse would be over 20 A
  2. The H4 housings aren't designed to have both filaments lit at the same time. The heat load could damage the housing.
Well I planned on wiring them similar to my Hellas, seperate wiring with a relay triggered off the factory wiring so the only additional load on the factory harness would be running Hi & Lo simultaniously.
But it's immaterial now because I mocked up my mount today and like the single lite better than the twins. So it's one headlite for me.
And I'm going to stick an old sealed beam in the housing till I decide if I like the mount or want to modify it.
That still leaves one question, anybody know a reliable, well made retrofit for a 5 3/4" housing that gives hid low beam?

Thanks,

Mac

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
been running twin lights 18 months no probs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts