Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The levers I have on my bike right now are 42270-06 and the they work fine, however the I cannot start the bike in gear (not a big deal) and the red-key light is alway illuminated on the instrument cluster (which bothers me).

I know it is due to the a different clutch lever than stock.

Will changing to 42270-06A solve the problem? Is anyone running these levers without any issue on an 08 or newer bike?

I have a 2008 AW.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
from what I've read (mostly here), the A added to a part number signifies the moco switching suppliers/manufacturers and no other changes.
On a side note, many have changed out their levers & grips and do not have the problem you mention. You may want to do some searching through here to fix the problem before you drop the dough on stock levers.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what I've read (mostly here), the A added to a part number signifies the moco switching suppliers/manufacturers and no other changes.
On a side note, many have changed out their levers & grips and do not have the problem you mention. You may want to do some searching through here to fix the problem before you drop the dough on stock levers.
Too late...I already bought the levers on EBay...hoping they would work. When I put my current levers on last Fall..I posted here (can't find the thread) and a few others mentioned that it had something to do with the cluth lever not touching some switch inside the switch housing.

If the new levers don't work...they will be back on EBay.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update....

Here is a comparison of the stock levers and the new levers 42270-06A (same exact levers as 42270-06). The chrome lever is on top and the stock lever is on the bottom. I have an allen key pointing to the additional material that is on the stock lever that engages a button within the switch housing.

These levers both stock and new are currently for sale in the classified:D

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just went through this exact same problem this past weekend. I picked up a pair of the slotted chrome levers, and when trying to install them yesterday I was pissed off to find that they do not have that little bump to engage the switch when the lever is squeezed.

Are there any chrome levers (aftermarket or oem) that have this little bump to engage the switch? I wonder what year they actually did make this change. I actually had to drill a hole in the chrome housings I picked up too because they didn't accommodate the clutch switch either.

...yet in all my searching, I see nothing noting any special fitment for the models equipped with the clutch switch.

What gives?

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get the wrong part # on the slotted levers? I ended up getting the slotted levers (don't have the part # handy) and they worked out fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did you get the wrong part # on the slotted levers? I ended up getting the slotted levers (don't have the part # handy) and they worked out fine.
must have.

I'm about 99% sure the pair I bought on ebay specified '06+. I had no idea there was a difference, nor any reason to believe there was either.

Low and behold, there is in fact a difference.

Perhaps the most deceiving part about the HD Accessories online is that the stock picture is of the non-brembo (pre '05) style levers, which I'm sure is a large part of what threw me off.

Looks like I'll be offering up this pair of levers on the marketplace real soon. Dammit!

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
must have.

I'm about 99% sure the pair I bought on ebay specified '06+. I had no idea there was a difference, nor any reason to believe there was either.

Low and behold, there is in fact a difference.

Perhaps the most deceiving part about the HD Accessories online is that the stock picture is of the non-brembo (pre '05) style levers, which I'm sure is a large part of what threw me off.

Looks like I'll be offering up this pair of levers on the marketplace real soon. Dammit!
LOL.....I here ya! I bought two pair (both indicated '06 and up) before I. Purchased the correct ones from Zanotti. I didn't lose to much money. Those HD part numbers are a guessing game. The second set, I didn't even put on the bike.

I can get a decent deal on some chrome master cylinders.....but it is not the exact part no. That I need. I think they will fit...but at a few hundred bucks....I don't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOL.....I here ya! I bought two pair (both indicated '06 and up) before I. Purchased the correct ones from Zanotti. I didn't lose to much money. Those HD part numbers are a guessing game. The second set, I didn't even put on the bike.

I can get a decent deal on some chrome master cylinders.....but it is not the exact part no. That I need. I think they will fit...but at a few hundred bucks....I don't want to take the chance.
yep, I did that too.

I have the chrome clutch side in the proper 11/16 bore. That's good. I just needed to piece it together because I got a steal on just the housing with guts, then needed to buy the cap and gasket and bar bracket. ...all told though, I'm into the clutch side for about $150.

the brake side, I thought I'd gotten a great deal on a rechromed one, but it arrived gutted. No biggie... I just bought the rebuild kit, but only to find out that the bore on the rechromed one is slightly less than the bore that the rebuild kit was made for. (Which confirmed to me that there were some models which came with an ever-so-slightly-smaller bore than what came stock on my '09 AW w/ABS.)

So now I can get another rebuild kit for the smaller bore, and I'm sure the master will work, but I'm worried about putting the smaller bore master on my bike which was clearly equipped with the larger bore from factory. WTF do I do now?

...and yeah, there's that shitty deal of having to go scrounge for a great deal on a proper fitting pair of levers too.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
the "A" is a superseded part number with a design change. Anytime the is a change the revision gets changed. Be it A, B ect. If a part is unchanged the number remains the same, no matter who manufactures it. The same with the slipper clutch. there was a design change between the -K and the -KA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts