Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiley-X has just released the best riding glasses I've seen!
The JP-3 and XL-3 models are great. They both have removable wind seals so that they can be worn as regular sunglasses. The XL-3 is metal and the seal is magnetic - it simply clicks on the back for riding. Check out the website: www.wiley-x.com
Let me know if you want a pair; forum members get a nice discount. Email or call for the cost.
Gene P.

Dr. B. E. Popham
12 Nelson Street
P O Box 295
Cartersville, GA 30120
(770)382-1144
1-800-319-5975
[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
wiley-x v.s Panoptix

I had a pair of wiley-x glasses,they were very good . The only complaint I had was the interchangable lenses were a pain since I didn't always carry both shaded and clear lenses. I been caught out with my shades after dark which made riding a little difficult. This is not the glasses fault obviously.

I have now gone with the Panopix Cyclone day and nights which get darker the brighter it gets and vice-versa, They also have softer foam than the Wileys. I love them.

Regards Brothas and Sistas
Conan :cheers:

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
conan said:
I had a pair of wiley-x glasses,they were very good . The only complaint I had was the interchangable lenses were a pain since I didn't always carry both shaded and clear lenses. I been caught out with my shades after dark which made riding a little difficult. This is not the glasses fault obviously.

I have now gone with the Panopix Cyclone day and nights which get darker the brighter it gets and vice-versa, They also have softer foam than the Wileys. I love them.

Regards Brothas and Sistas
Conan :cheers:
Yeah, the Panoptx are nice, but you may not know that Wiley-X has improved their line to the point that they are no longer considered in the same catagory quality-wise as previously. I looked at Wiley-X a few years ago and would not put them in my office -- low quality was apparent. Now it is a different story. The quality is there.

The soft foam of the Panoptx is the number one complaint. It soaks up sweat, or whatever, and deteriorates rapidly. Then Panoptx wants them sent back to them for replacement ($20.00).

Another fact that you may not know is the availability of "LA", or light adjusting lenses from Wiley-X. They perform better than the Panoptx "Day/Night" lenses and are tougher. Panoptx recommends that you NOT clean the backside of their lenses because they are apt to scratch or swirl.

I sell both, so don't get me wrong, Conan, but your comments called for further information about the Wiley-X line of products.

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Do any of the Wiley-X come polarized and light adjusting? Also which models have interchangable lenes?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Gene,

Between the JP2 LA and the XL3 LA which one seems the have the best coverage? My current XL1's still let a little too much air through.

I also notice the JP4 LA is specifically for smaller faces. Do you have specs on the sizing (standard optical specs are OK, the wife knows how to convert them)

Damn you, I need another pair of glasses like I need a hole in the head ;)

Mark

·
Registered
249 Posts
GeneP said:
Yeah, the Panoptx are nice, but you may not know that Wiley-X has improved their line to the point that they are no longer considered in the same catagory quality-wise as previously. I looked at Wiley-X a few years ago and would not put them in my office -- low quality was apparent. Now it is a different story. The quality is there.

The soft foam of the Panoptx is the number one complaint. It soaks up sweat, or whatever, and deteriorates rapidly. Then Panoptx wants them sent back to them for replacement ($20.00).

Another fact that you may not know is the availability of "LA", or light adjusting lenses from Wiley-X. They perform better than the Panoptx "Day/Night" lenses and are tougher. Panoptx recommends that you NOT clean the backside of their lenses because they are apt to scratch or swirl.

I sell both, so don't get me wrong, Conan, but your comments called for further information about the Wiley-X line of products.
GeneP

I don't sell anything...... I can not comment on all of the products out there just the two I have in my hands right now.

So as John Stoesel would say..............GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Conan,

I'll assume you don't know the history of our crowd and think that Gene is SPAMing the Forums. You couldn't be farther from the truth. Gene is a V-Rod owner who happens to be an optometrist. He offers Panoptx and Wiley-X riding glasses to the members of the forum at a significant discount, far less than you will find ANYWHERE else. So much so that Panoptx threatened to pull his dealership if he didn't stop. (scared some of the Stealerships who, BTW buy them at a lower price than Gene).

Gene isn't doing this to make a buck (sure he'll make s few per sale but not much) he's doing this because he wants to offer people he shares a hobby with a break.

As for the criticisms of the Panoptx, that's public knowledge. The 2 major complaints are the foam causes some people to sweat more and they are known to break at the nose piece if too much pressure is applied. Search the forums, this and others, it's public knowledge.

Nothing he said was meant to criticize what you wear, he's just offering up information so we all know what's available as new things come on the market. (oh yea, and offering them to members of this forum at a really good price)

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
Hey GeneP,

Check you Email. I sent you a request for more info.

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Conan, Mark is right, I was just making sure that everybody understands what is going on with what I am selling them. :cheers:

Mark, maybe too much air gets in because you go Warp Factor 5 all the time. :laugh:
It would be best to try some on -- but you are right, the JP-4 is "for smaller faces". It also says that they cannot be Rxed. And thanks for telling Conan my intentions. Conans ok in my book - he wears real riding glasses instead of risking his life to tear-filled guess-work on the road.

1BADV, take my word for it, you do not need bifocals in riding glasses; however, bifocals can be put in there if you want them. They are just like any other pair of glasses as far as availability of options.

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BobT said:
Gene,
Any of them fit "fatheaded" people ?
Can you get single vision prescriptions ?
Thanks,
BobT
Yep, fatheads are covered. You can get SV Rx's up to (+) or (-) 3.00 diopters or so. I have gone a little stronger. The problem is that the lens cannot be so thick that it hits the wind seal in the back of the frame. My lab and I are working on a edger computer program that will put the thickness out in the front on the stronger lens powers -- I don't know exactly what to expect, but my senses tell me that it will work. Whether the results will be cosmetically acceptable or not, we will just have to wait and see.

Bob, the fathead species needs to try on the Wiley-X SG-1 because it is flexible enough to fit around a water buffalo's head.

For the skinny heads, Panoptx just released the Chinook model. It is small enough for most anybody that has had trouble with getting a good fit.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
PM'd you Gene. Thanks for all your help here.
Greg

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I had better let everybody know that I am still offering the Wiley-X and Panoptx riding glasses at a nice discount to the forum members.
Wiley-X has the new XL-4, and Panopotx the Chinook - they are both nice. I have started wearing the XL-4 for riding and regular wear; it looks just like standard sunglasses with the magnetic seal removed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
May I say Gene P is my family's eye Doc, a friend for more yrs than either would admit, a neighbor, and sometime riding companion. I bought a pair of Wiley's form e-bay, they had a problem, I talked to Gene. Did he say "you didn't gettem from me", no he said bring them in I'll see if I can fix them for you. Just my 2 nickels,dime, and a quarters worth.

·
Eyeball Mechanic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:angelwin: :angelwin: :angelwin:

Is there some way I could forward these remarks to my wife's email address so she can find out what a great guy I really am instead of what she thinks?? :rolleyes:

You fellows are too kind -- thanks...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts