1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Its better. Don't forget the fender baseplate and maybe a backrest. You may wish to look for a used Sundowner seat, too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the fender baseplate, but no backrest...maybe I should try that first.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The Smallest Backrest is the best and Doesnt screw up the look of the bike.

The Passenger pillion comes out when we do over 500 miles trips. Its the Least Terrible looking available and quite comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, that is a small backrest!! Thanks for the pic, I have the exact same color so I have a good idea how it will look!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
If you order the items from www.haleshd.com you get it 20% off. The Ebay item for $100 is $1 MORE than buying it at the dealership, dont do it. Buy from HAles and get it Cheaper. The Seat comes Smooth or textured, my 02 has a textured top so it matches the pillion.

Small Backrest Part #52759-04
Cast and Chrome Mini Sissy Bar

Accent the low and lean look of the VRSC™ motorcycle with this highly styled Mini Sissy Bar. The unique die-cast shape and mirror-chrome finish blends with the Fender Base Plate to form a functional, yet stylish backrest. The included smooth look pad complements Original Equipment and low-profile® custom seats. Kit includes mini upright, pad and chrome mounting hardware. Fender Base Plate sold separately.
Fits '02-'06 VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCD and '05 VRSCSE models equipped with Fender Base Plate P/N 51120-01A or 51140-04A. (Does not fit with luggage rack.)
Touring Passenger Pillion - Textured Look
Although the VRSC™ family of motorcycles is built for speed, it can also make a radical touring machine. Styled to complement the stock seat or the Reach® Seat, this textured Passenger Pillion delivers maximum passenger comfort for long hauls or around-town riding.

52023-01A
Fits '02-'06 VRSCA, VRSCB and VRSCD models. Also fits '05 VRSCSE models. Requires use of Fender Base Plate or One-Piece Luggage Rack (sold separately). Pillion width 11.5".

MSRP US $99.95

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Wife HATES the stock rear seat also . I HATE the way the sundowner looks. I call the sundowner her " Big Girl Seat " . She hates that !! Good thing it only takes a couple of minutes to change them out.

Wife: Lets go for a ride on the vrod
Me: I will have to change the rear seat to your Big Girl Seat
Wife: Well do it big boy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
^^ Thats pretty funny. My girl is young and has a pretty nice arse and has yet to complain about the stock AW slice of a seat lol. I did however get her the mini sissy bar like Lux posted above. I call it a butt stop cause thats all its good for is keeping her ass from sliding off :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anybody know if HD make a "mini' sissy bar for a nightrod? The only black one the dealer found for me looked larger than the one pictured above.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Wife HATES the stock rear seat also . I HATE the way the sundowner looks. I call the sundowner her " Big Girl Seat " . She hates that !! Good thing it only takes a couple of minutes to change them out.

Wife: Lets go for a ride on the vrod
Me: I will have to change the rear seat to your Big Girl Seat
Wife: Well do it big boy.

Actually I think you have that backwards if she was a big girl with the extra padding she would be able to ride with the stock with out a complaint. Seeing she likes the padded seat I don't think she would qualify as a big girl. :2cents: :D

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Does anybody know if HD make a "mini' sissy bar for a nightrod? The only black one the dealer found for me looked larger than the one pictured above.
The Night Rod Special (Aka DX) it is NOT available, only the Rather Terrible Large Padded ones seem to be available and this Small Bar one that comes in both Chrome or Black

51177-06

Fits '06-'07 VRSCR, and '07-later VRSCAW, VRSCD, VRSCDX and VRSCX models. Requires separate purchase of Fender Base Plate P/N 51156-06, 51138-07, 51220-07, or 51120-07.

MSRP US $59.95

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just get the small chrome one and have it powder coated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I finally ordered a sundowner seat with a backrest...hopefully this will solve my problems! Unfortunately we only have another month or so of riding and then I gotta put my bike away for winter :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So a little review after I used the sundowner for a couple hundred kilometers...my wife loves it and I hate it!! Its not even the look, just the comfort, seems to dig into my back and I have a sore back after riding for more than 15 minutes, this never happened with the stock.

Anyone put the stock seat with the sundowner pillion?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I bet you are going to try it ...so tell us how it goes.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Lie to her and tell her that's all there is. The "comfortable" ones look horrible.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Three Words...

Dump

The

Wife

After the initial expense of mod'ing, you'll get much more trouble-free miles out of the bike.

Alternatively, buy wife her own damn bike...

My last (ex) wife (of 3, 3rd time apparently WASN'T A CHARM) used to complain when I started using the rider backrest on my dresser; "you never used it when we were dating, it hurts my thighs". Perhaps my dear, if you take off some of the COTTAGE CHEESE you put on in them there thighs, it might not hurt quite as much...

That one lasted just shy of two years. My last DOG lasted 2X longer than all THREE EX WIVES PUT TOGETHER. And HE didn't think I was an ASSHOLE, never asked me to lose weight, never wanted jewelry or a pair of shoes, and NEVER COMPLAINED that I was spending too much money on my bikes.

Rick

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone put the stock seat with the sundowner pillion?
I'm curious about this too. Or using the sundowner seat with a stock pillion. I just got my bike a few weeks ago and it came with a sundowner seat and backrest, but my wife has no interest in riding so I have no reason to leave a comfy passenger seat. Everyone says the oem seat looks so much better, so I'm thinkin of buyin a factory seat to switch to. Should I switch both seats, or just the passenger pillion? Is the oem front (rider) seat better looking too? Or just the passenger part mostly?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unforunately my bike is in storage, will probably be there for another month or so since its still -20 celcius here in Calgary. I am wanting to try this though.

Personally I feel the stock seat looks way better and is way more comfortable for the driver, for the passenger, the stock pillion is apparently horrible (haven't ever been a passenger). But the sundowner pillion does look bulky.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts