Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm still looking at my options for the wide wheel conversion. A friend made me an interesting question which I can't answer:

what is the widest wheel and related tire we could run on the stock VRod swingarm?

I'm still pondering my options and don't want to have an offset frt to rear, don't want a skinnier belt, ...

Your feedback is appreciated.

Juan

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Size 200 will fit but may need a little trimming on the belt guard.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
With the Stock Wheel 200 with an After Market offset wheel 240!:diablo:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
bone stock setup... 200 tire, and minor belt guard trimming as mentioned.

stock swingarm, but new wheel and fender and possibly some messing with the brake caliper... 240 tire.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definitely be getting new wheels and a fender, what are you suggestion Joe?

As to trimming the belt guard, I'll get a Rizoma from Chopper Steve, will that take care of this?

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, what size rear wheel would be maximum without new swingarm, offset alignment (Ricks) or belt width mod (Eurocomponents)?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
With a 240 you can only do a 8.5" wheel, a 9" wheel will have to change swing arm. No belt mods with the 8.5 but you will have some minor grinding.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
is that so?;) I learn so much reading this board!:rolleyes: ;)

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Other than style (which is of course the most important thing) is there any performance or handling advantage to a wider tire? or difference?

Or is this a silly question?

...Fat bottomed bikes, they make this rockin' world go round...

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
morey000 said:
Other than style (which is of course the most important thing) is there any performance or handling advantage to a wider tire? or difference?
None whatsoever - at least as far as advantages go. Putting a wider tire than the stock 180 will, however, make the bike somewhat harder to turn. Going to a tire as big as a 240 would, IMHO, border on making the bike unsafe to ride.

If all you were ever going to use the bike for was 1/4 mile runs down a dragstrip, it probably wouldn't make much difference. But, somehow overlooked in the currently fashionable rush towards ever bigger and fatter (or should I say "phatter"?) rear tires, is the fact that a motorcycle needs to lean in order to turn. A wider tire gives has a larger transverse radius, which will inevitably rotate slower than a smaller, narrower tire. Slower rotation = slower, sluggish turning. And when you need to make a quick turn to avoid a chunk of road debris, or to negotiate a decreasing radius freeway offramp, sluggish handling is the last thing you need.

If you'd like to read more about how tire size affects handling, etc.; take a look at Tony Foale's article on tire dynamics. (Because he's a Brit. he misspells the word "tire", but you'll understand what he means..)

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Did not make that much difference, sure it is not as responsive, but it is hardly noticeable. If you want the back to swerve it will move. It is all about the rider at this point.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Npicklo,

What do you mean minor grinding? and, is your setup offset to the right (I assume as you are usingthe Rick's setup) ?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
There was only 1000 miles on my 180 I would say that is pretty fresh. Yes I am using rick's setup, the grinding consisted of cutting off the corner on the tab in which your rear brake caliper is mounted, also removing the screw on the left inside of swing arm and just behind that screw a tab has to be grinded down or it will rub on the pulley.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I heard about the Avon tire from a custom builder. You may have to call them about the 210 because it's supposedly so new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts