Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys what is the widest possible rear tire we could fit on our bikes? And by this I mean ignoring rim, swingarm and pulleys. I see the 280 kit that Hog Pro makes as well as the 300 for 07+ bikes according to the website. Now it's been proven that you can bolt a 07+ swingarm to a narrow frame bike so what would stop the 300 kit from fitting on our 'B' models? They only thing I could think of is if it (the tire) would hit the frame when bottoming out on the shocks...does anyone know what the largest we can fit?

·
Ride hard be safe!
953 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
300mm kit for 07 up will bolt onto a 05/06 the only thing u would need to do is take off ur saddle bag brackets and fab a rear fender up for the tire! Bam all done...and the reason I know this is, I'll be going to 300mm this summer so I've done my research.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
George
5,411 Posts
I’m curious..... what is the allure of such a wide tire? They are hideously expensive and make for crap handling. Is it just for show?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes capngeo, I believe it is just for show. I understand looks are important for some things, but to me this one just isn't worth it.

It's like putting a big 'ol monster air scoop on a 6-cyl Mustang. The 13 year olds will sure think it's cool, but anyone who really knows about cars will know it's just for looks.

Obviously this is just my opinion. Heck I even think it looks cool in some cases, it's just that the negatives outweigh the positives to me.

·
George
5,411 Posts
OK, Thanks, I thought so! I guess they don’t ride a lot of miles.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
i never like harley's because there rear tires were so skinny. my brother busted my chops for years about getting a harley since all i had were sportbikes. I moved to NJ and happened to be around the corner from a H-D dealer. stopped in one day with my brother to shut him up and saw the DX from behind. saw that back tire and i was sold( while my brother is chanting "this is you". thought my new bike was hot sh_t. went out to the 2008 v-rod rally saw Frank's bike(bad vr) arvid's bike and other guys with 300's or 280's. wasn't in love with my bike anymore. looking at there bikes next to mine especially from behind made my tire look like a bicycle tire. i left that rally on a mission. i wanted that 300 on mine and wanted rid of those hideous stock wheels. it took me 3yrs to get my bike to look the way it does now.(and im still not done). to me the 300 makes my bike. i get compliments on that back tire everytime im on it. and to me it really doesnt handle that much different then the 240. it does take a little getting use to when you first ride it but after an hour of riding i couldn't feel the difference anymore. to each is own. but to me the 300 is bad to the bone.

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
i never like harley's because there rear tires were so skinny. my brother busted my chops for years about getting a harley since all i had were sportbikes. I moved to NJ and happened to be around the corner from a H-D dealer. stopped in one day with my brother to shut him up and saw the DX from behind. saw that back tire and i was sold( while my brother is chanting "this is you". thought my new bike was hot sh_t. went out to the 2008 v-rod rally saw Frank's bike(bad vr) arvid's bike and other guys with 300's or 280's. wasn't in love with my bike anymore. looking at there bikes next to mine especially from behind made my tire look like a bicycle tire. i left that rally on a mission. i wanted that 300 on mine and wanted rid of those hideous stock wheels. it took me 3yrs to get my bike to look the way it does now.(and im still not done). to me the 300 makes my bike. i get compliments on that back tire everytime im on it. and to me it really doesnt handle that much different then the 240. it does take a little getting use to when you first ride it but after an hour of riding i couldn't feel the difference anymore. to each is own. but to me the 300 is bad to the bone.
:notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth::notworth:

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Fat envy is one of those deadly sins.....

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Yes capngeo, I believe it is just for show. I understand looks are important for some things, but to me this one just isn't worth it.

It's like putting a big 'ol monster air scoop on a 6-cyl Mustang. The 13 year olds will sure think it's cool, but anyone who really knows about cars will know it's just for looks.

Obviously this is just my opinion. Heck I even think it looks cool in some cases, it's just that the negatives outweigh the positives to me.
This is way subjective. It all depends on your style or riding, your skill level and the availability of roads to execute that ability. If you are just cruising around town or touring a lot, if you have a big fat heavy bagger, then obviously cornering at 50 degrees is not a priority. This is probably the largest percentage of riders, add those who can not ride to the bikes ability and it's a landslide.
And yes, we all bought this bike due to looks, cool factor, badge ect., so lets stop with all that and enjoy the show! Hell, HD has been selling looks for more than a century!
As far as the expense, well I'm with you on that but to each their own.

Fat envy is one of those deadly sins.....

Girth envy!

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
I'm wanting wide knobby John Deere tires on my vrod:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts