Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a new set of tyres for the summer, so while I was at it I was also thinking of some new rims. (Have been watching the thread started by Rockerdan with interest). But, rather than the typical thing of going wider on the rear (just a 250 cobra) I was thinking of going wider on the front. Nothing freakish, just a little different.

Does anyone know what is the widest tyre you can put on a stock front end. It looks like there could be 15-20mm on each side if you trim the fender bolts back.

I would just rather not spend money on a new set of triple trees etc. because that would add up quite a bit. (esp. on top of new rubber and rims). Althought I have seen some nice jobs here and elsewhere. Taylor Made have more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah... they have some crazy shit on there that would give the "dark knight" batpod a run for its money..

Im after something a little more than stock, but not quite that crazy.

Nothing crazy...:hidesbeh:

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
130 mm would be a respectable size on a DX front rim in order to keep it balanced w/rear 250mm and keep the stock front fender.
Then again that trike(small pix) is very cool.If the doctor rules me disabled or handicapped next week,I'll apply for the special handicap plate and mod one of my DX'z in that fashion.

·
The Young One...
2,585 Posts
i have seen a 140 metzler but you have to go from a 19" wheel to a 18" wheel.....will try to find the post again

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bike looks nice.. But, what is it like riding with out a front fender? Dont you get spit at by gravel and such?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run a 160/60/18 on the front of mine with no problems.
So without a front fender, do you get hit with debris, or worry about radiator getting hit by road debris more than with a fender? I really like the look of a wide tire and no fender, but I am concerned about damage to the radiator or my face.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
The middle of the radiator is has that plastic shroud, so it's protected. Only time I get anything in the face is a knife edge of water in the rain. No big, I just lean to the left and let it hit me in the shoulder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the front fender doesnt protect the radiator/cover much anyway, it doesnt go low enough for that. Its main purpose is to stop crap from flying higher and into your face. My regulator heat sink is trashed from the stone chips.

Thanks for the suggestions. Goning to see what size Avon I can fit and worry about the fender later. (if it doesnt fit)

So without a front fender, do you get hit with debris, or worry about radiator getting hit by road debris more than with a fender? I really like the look of a wide tire and no fender, but I am concerned about damage to the radiator or my face.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
so tell me guys.....since im ordering new wheels,can i get a 140 onto stock sized rim and keep fender????

i see that other guy said he had a 18" rim with 140....and kept fender...that might be the ticket eh?...

cheating,you got no fender and a inverted fork....and 18 right?...wow....im thinking 140 with 18" X 3.5" wide.....should work with stock fender too i think..

thanks
dan

·
The Young One...
2,585 Posts
19" 140 is not available......I looked. Unless they just created it

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
19" 140 is not available......I looked. Unless they just created it
nope he has a 18" 140...and hogpro has a 18" rim X 3.50....alittle wider then stock,and im finding that the outer dimensions of 140 on 18" should be close to stock 120 on 19.....i think this is what he did.

but,i only can find a H rated,which is 130mph only....damn.

dan..

·
The Young One...
2,585 Posts
yea i know.... I looked for a decent option and cam up with nothing

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
maybe 130mph is enough?...ive only been there once or twice so far..

the fatter front looks nice though....i really like it

dan

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
how is the handling? CHEATIN, can you chime in?

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Can anyone verify a 140 will work on a 18" diameter front rim with stock fender?....im thinking of changing my front rim order from stock 19x3 to a 18 x 3.5 and then going with a 140 metz....

cheatin....is your tire H rated only???....I assume you HAD TO REMOVE your front fender for that 160 right?...you think a 140 will go with fender?..id like to keep front fender i think for now.

Dan

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 140 will work with the fender on an 18x3.5 inch rim, I know V-Mod was using a 140/70/18 on some of their bikes. The handling is awesome with the fatter front, stays planted nicely. It was a little more effort at first, but you get used to it in no time. I peg the limiter in 5th at leas once every ride so no problems with high speed. BTW, I run about 32-34lbs with my 160/60/18 on the front, seems to like that pressure the most. Oh, and you can't wear a tire out that big, I've gone through two rears and the front is hardly even worn.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
thanks cheatin......i think ill talk to hogpro and have them change out my order from 19x3 to 18x 3.5 with 140.....i wish it was rated over 130 cause i like that speed alot!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts