Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help me on this one. I have an 03 rod that i bought last year. I have been in Iraq for the last year flying Apache Helicopters but will be back in 2 months. I want to get a wide tire kit, but don't know which one is the best for your dollar. Also I stuck on either a 280 or 240. Also what are some of the better companies making wheels for those sizes? I'd appreciate any help i can get.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The question is so subjective to your taste and budget. You will find several companies that make wide tire kits from Hogpro to CFR to Eurocomponents. All are equally good IMHO just a matter of how big you want to go and how much you want to spend.

On the wheels the sky is the limit. When it comes to wheels personal taste makes up so much of that. Me, I prefer a wheel that I don't see on everyother bike out there. I don't know that any of them are bad, just some have closer tolerances during manufacture.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was hoping to stay in the 3K budget for everything, or is that not possible with a 280. Doesn't the PM Kit go for 3K without a tire and wheel? From what I have seen it looks like RC and HOGPRO are pretty good. I'm just hoping to get some opinions now that I have define it more. Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
kidjt said:
Well I was hoping to stay in the 3K budget for everything, or is that not possible with a 280. Doesn't the PM Kit go for 3K without a tire and wheel? From what I have seen it looks like RC and HOGPRO are pretty good. I'm just hoping to get some opinions now that I have define it more. Thanks.
The 280 makes it much tougher in that budget. If you go 240 you can leave your swingarm pretty much stock and narrow the pulley and use a narrow belt and spend your money on wheels. :) Just a thought, it also leaves you with a stock rear fender since a 240 stuffs nicely inside it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I will be doing a 240 with the stock swingarm, narrowed stock pulley, and narrowed belt. I am using a widened stock 10 spoke wheel. I too am in Iraq, Green Zone Baghdad to be exact. I will be home in 2 weeks for vacation and will be putting it all together. Before I leave to come back I will be taking it all apart and shipping everything off for chrome. Here is a breakdown of my cost so far:

chrome swingarm (Ebay) $275
extra rear wheel (Ebay) $225
extra rear pulley $40
narrow belt $93
chrome belt guard $76
Kosman to widen wheel $600 with smoothed welds and shipping
stock Dunlop 240 tire $100
I don't have the bill for the machining of the pulley yet but I don't expect it to be over $100

Without buying the extra parts you could do this for under $1000. To have everything polished and chromed will cost me another $1200 due to the 10 spokes being such a pain to polish. The solid wheels are much cheaper to chrome.

I hope this helps and be safe flying around Iraq. If you are ever in the Green Zone give me a shout.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Call Jerry at Hogpro and he'll take care of you. He's got great products at the best prices around. I went 280 and after it was all said and done it was more than double what you want to spend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested in also getting a bigger tire (240) and didn't know how to go about it. Will I have to alter anything in order to get a 240 tire? Thanks ahead of time!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested in also getting a bigger tire (240) and didn't know how to go about it. Will I have to alter anything in order to get a 240 tire? Thanks ahead of time!
Welcome to 1130cc.com,the most informative V-Rod forum around.
There are several ways to go about installing the 240 in the older V-Rods.Surf around using the search function with one key word at a time.Look at the different ways,figure which wheels you want to use and choose which way you want to go about the install and stick to that procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you recommend going to a 200 rear tire without needing a kit? Or, would you go with the 240? Pros and Cons to each? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year I put some Vance & Hines Double Barrel Slip Ons with the Screaming Eagle Race tuner and my numbers jumped from 98 to 101. Would adding the Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Competition Exhaust make any difference at all? I've heard that it enhances performance but if it's only minimal I'll stick with what I have. Thanks!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I don't know about the exhaust you want,but mine makes 109 with the stock V-Modded set.
If you are looking at doin the 240,a 200 just won't give you what you want,but it can be installed with minimum effort.
I installed a 200,then had to do the 240.The 240 in the old narrow fender looks tough as nails.

Attachments

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
I don't know about the exhaust you want,but mine makes 109 with the stock V-Modded set.
If you are looking at doin the 240,a 200 just won't give you what you want,but it can be installed with minimum effort.
I installed a 200,then had to do the 240.The 240 in the old narrow fender looks tough as nails.
Don't listen to him.......

He is an evil man with evil ideas like this......

:dance:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So are you saying a 200 rear tire is enough? Going for a 240 is going to costs thousands between the wide tire kit, new wheels and tires.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
NO.,,,,

I have the damn 240 thanks to ElRod!!!!!!!!!

It looks awesome, rides awesome.

He is evil because once you see his 03 done then you want to do the 240 to yours!!!!!

It doesn't costs thousands... Search for "Budget 240".

·
The Snuggly Ranger
172 Posts
This may be crazy, and I am not even sure if it would work, but there are a lot of guys out there that have changed their stock DX 240 to the 300 kit. Can you buy their old swing arms and tires and fit it to your bike for cheap?

RLTW!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts