Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Searching the forums only yielded results for the budget 240 conversion, which uses the stock 180 swingarm. I have VRSCF wheels with the 240 swingarm on hand, what does that exactly change from the diagram attached?

My guess is that all spacers, axels, pulley and belts will have to come from the VRSCF/VRSCDX with no cutting required for the spacers. Any mods needed for the brake caliper?

Attachments

·
Bad ride inside
522 Posts
yes on the spacers and pulleys and the two piece rear caliper is not mandatory but makes it easy to remove and install rear wheel

·
Registered
780 Posts
Correct. Use everything from the "F". As mentioned, you can use your caliper but keep in mind that the new axle is a tad smaller so there might be a bit of play in the caliper where the axle goes through. It shouldn't matter once it is tightened up, but just so you are aware.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I started installing the swing-arm but I’m having trouble fitting it with the spacer P/N 48386-05. The spacer seems to be too long, throwing the swing arm off center to the left side of the frame, as seen in the picture below. It makes me believe that the spacer needs to be cut for the swing arm to be centered. Looking through the forum, I’m seeing that 05 VRSC onwards use the same size spacer. I have an 06 vrscd, the pivot shaft I have along with the spacer match the ones I have from the kit (from a vrscf) (for reference, I bought the kit second hand)… I must be overlooking something, because if the spacer and pivot shaft match, there should be no cutting required.

Attachments

·
VRSC est -03
3,410 Posts
As it should be.
This is to ensure that there is sufficient clearance for pulleys and drive belt. The wheel would still be centered.

Reactions: 2003 VRod Rider

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, understood. But I’m seeing difficulty in clearing the left side spacer as well, I had to remove the tank strap bolt to give the swing arm just enough clearance to squeeze in the spacer. That was a mock fit, as I can’t fit the tank strap bolts back without removing the swing arm first.

Edit: disregard, a little elbow grease got it to fit. Will follow up once the wheel is up

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel is up. Everything fits nicely, except for the drive belt. It’s sitting too loose, even with the rear wheel cranked all the way to the back of the swing arm.
part number I’m using is 40144-07, which should be the go-to for 2007 and up swing arms.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Wheel is up. Everything fits nicely, except for the drive belt. It’s sitting too loose, even with the rear wheel cranked all the way to the back of the swing arm.
part number I’m using is 40144-07, which should be the go-to for 2007 and up swing arms.
The swingarm you have in the pic above is not a Muscle swingarm. That is a pre 2007 arm which would account for why your belt is slack. Measure the 2 arms. I think you will find both your arms are the same length. If that was a 2007 on swingarm it would be about 20mm longer.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The current pulley I have is 28T (2006 VRSCD). Based on Ronnie's Parts Finder that pulley has a part number 40345-04A instead of the 40646-06B you have mentioned.

40646-06B shows up for 2007 VRSCD, Are you sure you have your information correct?
If you are going to run 240 rear then you need that offset pulley. It's all models 2007 on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh I see, didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying!

I managed to get a new swing arm from a 2012+ vrscd. Attempted to assemble the rear end, and once again I'm at a loss. While the belt now fits tight (thanks for calling out the swingarm). The wheel does not fit using my stock VRSCD brake caliper, the caliper width where the axel goes through is approx. 1.25" meanwhile a 2 piece caliper from VRSDX/VRSF is 15/16" wide. that extra width of my stock 1 piece caliper doesn't fit in the whole assembly.

Doing a sanity check, Here's what I have:

Numbers are in the snippet below.
  • Back pully and comp bowl from 07-up vrod. 9, 8 and 12
  • Axel spacers from VRSCDX, 16 (non abs spacer), 11 and 18
  • Pivot shaft from 2012 VRSDX, also came with the left spacer, which i'm using. But this part shouldn't matter as the pivot shaft and spacer matches my 2006 vrscd
  • Muscle rear wheel, stock inner wheel spacer (24) and non abs bearing (6)

The assembly and parts matches the exact layout that you see here in the snippet below, but replacing the ABS sensor with the non abs spacer and bearings,

From what I'm seeing, even if where to use a 2 piece caliper instead of my stock 1 piece caliper, the wheel will not be centered relative to the frame. It's offset to the right. I'm starting to believe the swap isn't possible.

I'd appreciate the input. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I managed to get a new swing arm from a 2012+ vrscd. Attempted to assemble the rear end, and once again I'm at a loss. While the belt now fits tight (thanks for calling out the swingarm). The wheel does not fit using my stock VRSCD brake caliper, the caliper width where the axel goes through is approx. 1.25" meanwhile a 2 piece caliper from VRSDX/VRSF is 15/16" wide. that extra width of my stock 1 piece caliper doesn't fit in the whole assembly.

• Pivot shaft from 2012 VRSDX, also came with the left spacer, which i'm using. But this part shouldn't matter as the pivot shaft and spacer matches my 2006 vrscd

The assembly and parts matches the exact layout that you see here in the snippet below, but replacing the ABS sensor with the non abs spacer and bearings,

From what I'm seeing, even if where to use a 2 piece caliper instead of my stock 1 piece caliper, the wheel will not be centered relative to the frame. It's offset to the right. I'm starting to believe the swap isn't possible.

This is really difficult to understand without seeing it. The only thing I can tell you it is absolutely 100% doable as I have that same setup on my 03
Can you take some close up pictures of each side around the axle/ spacer areas and swingarm pivot areas. Maybe we can spot something.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Break calipers ARE different

The little lip at bottom of the one piece that is 1/4” wide - that lip isn’t there on a 2 piece caliper

Offset becomes wrong due to that lip

Not to mention axel size and play - your putting a larger hole caliper w/ a smaller axel in it - doesn’t seem like it matters much but at 100mph and your life on the line is that mismatch of parts ok with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Break calipers ARE different

The little lip at bottom of the one piece that is 1/4” wide - that lip isn’t there on a 2 piece caliper

Offset becomes wrong due to that lip

Not to mention axel size and play - your putting a larger hole caliper w/ a smaller axel in it - doesn’t seem like it matters much but at 100mph and your life on the line is that mismatch of parts ok with you?

I don't think he has a mismatch of parts. If you read the whole thread you will see he is now using the later swingarm, axle, wheel and parts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
He has to use the newer brake too - my point at 3:30 am - maybe I didn’t word that well - who knows at 6am before coffee if I am doing better now lol

This phrase he said (screenshot) makes it seem like he has not actually assembled with the smaller newer break caliper

And notice he doesn’t list break caliper in list of parts he is using

Maybe my non coffee head is reading wrong.

Yes if you do “math” it looks to the right but look at any 240 bike - one side pulley + comp + spacer one side, other side spacer and break - math it would seem off center- reality it’s fine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts