Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have ordered a Eurocomponents (Speed-Point) rear tire conversion kit with matching front wheels, ...

They are now coming out with a kit to mount a 10.5" rear wheel with a :notworthy 280 tire which I could be persuaded (by myself) to change to instead of the 240/250 (8.5" wheel) I currently have on order.

This brings the question never asked; is it much harder to ride a bike with such a wide rear tire? I'm thinking of ease to lean into turns, ground clearance issues, straight line stability, ....

I'm sure it would look absolutely bitching but I'm thinking a bit on the practicality (or lack thereof) of going to an even wider rear tire.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Juan :biker:

·
2,552 Posts
I looked at the bike from Eurocomponents with the 280 when I was at Daytona Bike week and it was IMHO way to wide for a V-Rod. I personally like a 240. Do not forget with the Eurocomponents system you get a TINY 1 1/8" belt:tmbsdown

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John and Frank:

What are the options then? My bike (a 2004) came with the 28t from the factory. My parts are apparently on back order so I can make changes to my order still (I think!).

As to the 280, that's one of my concerns, not having seen one in person, I'm sort of concerned of being way over the top.

Is the tiny belt drive a big issue if I'm not doing any significant changes to the motor(only changing exhaust, program and filter)?

Thanks much for your words of wisdom.

·
2,552 Posts
Ricks is a nice setup if you do not mind the rear wheel out of centerline and polished wheels and MANY bolts. It IS noticeable if you really look at it. I KNOW it rides OK but I am ANAL about uniformity.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Frank Storms said:
BTW, Ernie is a first class guy and does a good job.

Frank,
I'm glad to hear that. He really got off to a rough start on that other V-Rod forum. His web site was full of BS (still kind of is) and he was selling cheesy radiator screens for 10X their worth.

John

·
2,552 Posts
I have been at his business and I rode with him during Biketoberfest. The V-Rod product line is just kind of a side line for him. He is really into modifying hummers and vettes. I have his radiator screens. They may be OK quality for others, but they are not the quality product that I need to satisfy my needs. I am going to leave them on until I make my own. I am hopeful about his Super Charger.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frank,

Just an official :notworthy "thank u" for taking the time to give me some valuable advice on how to go forward with my bike. You have done a lot of research and its great to have someone around like you willing to share what you've learned. This is exactly what I was looking for when I registered on this forum.

Cheers, Juan

·
2,552 Posts
ErVikingo

My pleasure. Us V-Roders MUST help each other out.:D Like I said, let me know when you are in Miami next and we can get together and RIDE.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I have Frank. It's ALSO $130.00 cheaper than Ernie's fiberglass one.:rolleyes: I need to call then to see if there is room for storage in there.

John

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
John,
They are calling it a storage chamber.They have it on their site now.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I can only talk about what I know first hand .My 240 Ricks setup is AWESOME !Handling up to 150+mph was very neutral.The 280 is a Big motha and is more Show then Go!Ernie has been Very Good to me and everything I have tested of his work!:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts