Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excluding the awesome VROD of course.

For the price I can buy two bikes that are already technologically superior.

I think most people that have HD's havent ridden a REAL bike, or have it as their SECOND BIKE.

I dont get it. Why would you get a FJR, Yahama Stratoliner, or anything with better tech? Old fat and slow?

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
110 years of reliability !!!!!

Hey dude ! go ahead an get your feet wet ! Buy a Harley to go with that Harley tag you have on your truck !! my thoughts Bud

·
Registered
197 Posts
I honestly think 50% of riders are just wanting to be "cool". On the other hand for people like my dad they have road nothing BUT harley davidsons their whole life. I started out on a honda 600rr. I have now graduated to the only bike that I could find had the perfect mix of speed/looks/comfort. Its like a new shelby gt500 in a terrible kind of twisted metaphor for me (LOL) it'll never be a moto gp bike/f1 car but its got the looks and speed in a great package even though its a fat pig lol. If you get what I'm saying. And it just so happened to be made by Harley :D As for the other models I have no experience with them and just attest that most riders are followers of the biking fad thats taken place over the last decade.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Hey dude ! go ahead an get your feet wet ! Buy a Harley to go with that Harley tag you have on your truck !! my thoughts Bud
The OP has one, I think he was just posing a question for everyone else.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I think the real question is "Why would you buy a Motorcycle?", If its because You want to ride a HArley than you are different than I. I Happen to own a HArley as the MC I ride because I wanted to ride, I dont happen to ride because I wanted a HArley.
Things that make Cringe is when someone uses the word HArley instead of the word Motorcycle, shows they are a brainwashed Boob and rarely has anything useful to offer.
Me:
"I rode the Canyons today and my Gawd it was one of the greatest days this year"
Others:
"We Took the Harleys out today and it was really cool"

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
We bought our Softail because it suited a specific need.
My wife had followed me around in her cool cars and suv's to meets and gatherings for years.One day after not finding a safe parking spot for her car,and then having to walk half a mile and find me afterwards,she said she was done chasing after me and wanted to start riding as a passenger with me.
The V-rod is just not a passenger friendly motorcycle.
We looked at a few other makes and models for a while.Once she sat on the back of a Heritage and said,this is the one,I bought a spanking new one.We financed the bike.I had the loan made out in her name,and the bike is registered to her.I believe this is the only vehicle that has ever been registered in her name.
Personally,I like the prestige of owning a late model air cooled Harley.I like the looks of the bike,the nimble way in which it handles,the comfort for both the operator and the passenger,the set of loud pipes we chose for it,the fuel mileage,the ease of servicing it,the reliability it has given us,and most of all,the time it has given the 2 of us to enjoy both the motorcycle and each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
How bout this.... Cause we're AMERICANS and should support our AMERICAN brothers as long as they are making a quality product and asking a reasonable price along with reliabilty, etc... Instead of buying hondas/yamahas/etc... sending all our money overseas. Will step off the soap box now :D

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I've ridden other metrics and they were ok. I have had 2 other Harley's before I bought my Night Rod. I just like the characteristics of the Harley. The Sportster I had was a fun bike, then I bought a Electra Glide Standard. I loved that bike, unfortunately, a cager talking on a cell phone took me out and totaled it. I never thought I'd be on a V-Rod until I sat on one and started re-thinking what I wanted. Now, I'm thinking about getting either a Road Glide or a Victory Cross Country. I'm still keeping the Night Rod. Besides, like the above post, I wanted to buy an American made motorcycle.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
How bout this.... Cause we're AMERICANS and should support our AMERICAN brothers as long as they are making a quality product and asking a reasonable price along with reliabilty, etc... Instead of buying hondas/yamahas/etc... sending all our money overseas. Will step off the soap box now :D
Than you should be riding a Victory as its the Most "American" Built MC.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Thats one soap box thats getting tougher to defend these days! I'm in this forum because I agree with you, but with more and more parts coming from china, being assembled in mexico, and then shipped to wherever the final assembly is done, the lines are sure getting blurry! The MoCo is talking about more outsourcing to hedge low profits, so soon it may be more of an "international" model than an American made bike. Same as my beloved Chevy... I bought an 08 Duramax dually because, by god, I wanted an american truck. My gf got a pontiac G8 GT because I told her we were done if she got the honda whateveritwas she was looking at (she knew I was only partially joking!)

But just like the Chevy, more and more parts are manufactured and assmebled elsewhere and only the "final assembly" is completed in the good ole US of A. :banghead:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Than you should be riding a Victory as its the Most "American" Built MC.
I was waiting for someone to catch me on that :moon: BUT Victory doesnt make the V-Rod :D The Hammer just isnt my cup of tea... :lamer:

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
It is very admirable to feel this way and I do. It is equally important to be able to back away from the emotion of it when a company markets itself on American pride and then fails to deliver on the promise.

Chinese wheels, patriotic tee shirts made by a new vendor in Mexico, do not add up to a company that deserves my American pride.

Think about it, you would not support a company that makes substandard products, or have CEO's that don't know the product or customer.

People however have an emotional attachment to the Harley logo, that absolutely blinds them. It is like the little boy inside that wants to be a "Bad Boy" or "Bad to the Bone" will just never admit that his outdated 65hp Dyna is substandard when compared to many other bike models like a V-Max (just an example).

Most people under twenty five with no ties to the brand, will not even consider walking into an HD showroom because there is nothing there for them. In my mind that spells to a very bleak future and a company that needs change to survive.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Because I like them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats one soap box thats getting tougher to defend these days! I'm in this forum because I agree with you, but with more and more parts coming from china, being assembled in mexico, and then shipped to wherever the final assembly is done, the lines are sure getting blurry! The MoCo is talking about more outsourcing to hedge low profits, so soon it may be more of an "international" model than an American made bike. Same as my beloved Chevy... I bought an 08 Duramax dually because, by god, I wanted an american truck. My gf got a pontiac G8 GT because I told her we were done if she got the honda whateveritwas she was looking at (she knew I was only partially joking!)

But just like the Chevy, more and more parts are manufactured and assmebled elsewhere and only the "final assembly" is completed in the good ole US of A. :banghead:
You are correct sir. It's getting to be a tough deal with all the outsourcing but these days, who isnt?? I drive a GMC Yukon and my wife drives a Pontiac G6. Def jealous over the G8 though! Anyways... I reckon its better to pay some towards the people who put it together HERE than to a company that does EVERYTHING overseas :(

The guy who does my exhaust work was telling me about going to NAPA one day for a water pump. He was asked do you want to pay a few extra for the one made in USA or a cheaper made in China version. Being the upstanding American he is he obviously said sure I'll pay a few extra. When he got back to the shop he opens the box to find the housing stamped made in China and immediately calls NAPA to see what the deal it. The guy said oh well it was assembled in America. So even now you cant even trust that made in the USA stamp :barf:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you may want to go over your bike one more time to see where the parts are/were made. I'm not sure you can consider HDs as reasonably priced when compared to motos of the same calibre. (mind you that would mean comparing a Roadglide to a 1995 Goldwing)

Like Lux stated above, some of us purchased a bike that appealed to us and it just happened to be an HD.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is very admirable to feel this way and I do. It is equally important to be able to back away from the emotion of it when a company markets itself on American pride and then fails to deliver on the promise.

Chinese wheels, patriotic tee shirts made by a new vendor in Mexico, do not add up to a company that deserves my American pride.

Think about it, you would not support a company that makes substandard products, or have CEO's that don't know the product or customer.

People however have an emotional attachment to the Harley logo, that absolutely blinds them. It is like the little boy inside that wants to be a "Bad Boy" or "Bad to the Bone" will just never admit that his outdated 65hp Dyna is substandard when compared to many other bike models like a V-Max (just an example).

Most people under twenty five with no ties to the brand, will not even consider walking into an HD showroom because there is nothing there for them. In my mind that spells to a very bleak future and a company that needs change to survive.
I completely agree with you. Had HD not made the V-Rod I can guarantee you I'd never be on one. Period. I would've stuck to sportbikes. I'm 22 and married which is not the case for most people my age and I realize i'm among a small crowd of young HD owners but its the bike that fit my needs. I was tired of being cramped up and hunched over. I enjoy riding too much to not be able to ride but 30 min at a time :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
you may want to go over your bike one more time to see where the parts are/were made. I'm not sure you can consider HDs as reasonably priced when compared to motos of the same calibre. (mind you that would mean comparing a Roadglide to a 1995 Goldwing)

Like Lux stated above, some of us purchased a bike that appealed to us and it just happened to be an HD.
I completely understand. Just figured I'd stir the pot a bit :D

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RIght, because HD is made in America!:dance:

1 - 20 of 201 Posts