Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year and why was the frame narrowed?
Are Vrods plentiful at point/city of manufacture?
Were the inverted forks a bad idea, or whut?
This site is addicting..

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
consafos said:
This site is addicting..
The frame wasn't narrowed, it was widened in '07 models so they all could have 5 gal tanks. Before that the only model with the wider frame and 5 gal tank was the VRSCR. The R was the only model with the inverted forks and now that it's discontinued none do.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
consafos said:
This site is addicting..
Inverted forks, werer they a bad idea, hmmmmm, wonder how you could have gotten that impression. The forks on the R have 5 inches of travel and work well for a handling oriented bike. A little tweaking and they are very good forks.
So what is bad about them? In GENERAL, inverted forks with cartridge inserts for damping tend to be made with larger tubes so they are stronger, less likely to bend or twist. You don't see fork braces for inverted forks. Most of the mass of the inverted fork is in the sprung portion of the front suspension. This is better for handling.
The R inverted forks also came with different trees than you usually see. They are stylized as their shape change from normal adds nothing to their function. As far as looks, I think the R inverted forks are very good looking and can be made to look great in other applications. Smoothrod's use of an R front end to build his Buell rigid is one of the first examples of things to come. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering why the inverted fork wasn't implemented model-wide for 2008. Brembos, inverted, slipper, bigger battery, cool..

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
consafos said:
I was just wondering why the inverted fork wasn't implemented model-wide for 2008. Brembos, inverted, slipper, bigger battery, cool..
I really have no idea why the inverted forks didn't stay, If I had to guess it would be because it is more of a sport bike front end then it is a cruiser and probably a little to do with cost. :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
consafos said:
HD has had inverted forks as an option on the Softail model for a while now. They have them as standard on the Dyna SE, SE2 so it is probably a matter of looks and cost. The inverted forks cost a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts