Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting tidbit my H-D friend told me...

The reason why the 02-06 models had 3 gallon tanks instead of a 5 gallon tank is that H-D had been trying to get the technology worked out on the sonar sensor that presently exists in the 5 gallon tanks. They wanted to put the 5 gal. in from the start but the technology at the time wouldn't allow it!

BTW...relocating the ignition switch was due to customer preference. Now if they would just provide a easy mod-kit for it!

.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
:bs: Yeah right... They heard all the complaints and only moved on it when competitors stole their thunder with a bigger tank...
 

·
Kicking cancer's ass
Joined
·
969 Posts
The problem with that theory is that the sonar sensors are failing at an alarming rate on the 07's.
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
V Ride said:
:bs: Yeah right... They heard all the complaints and only moved on it when competitors stole their thunder with a bigger tank...
+1
 

·
Dragon
Joined
·
92 Posts
ok, i admit it i have tank envy:surrender for 5 years now i have had a knot in my stomach every time i do a 100 mile ride. i'm ready to throw down the money for 5gal tank, but think it really belongs in the "recall" category. 3 gallons? really now who does that?

when i purchased my bike (02'), it was so damn sexy i felt like i just climbed onto a supermodel, but the tank has been like a wart or crazy long 2nd toe that sticks in my mind and no matter how sexy i can't get it out of my mind. so, i gotta do something but i'll wait till winter when it's laid up and then off with wart and i'm back on my supermodel.:D
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
V Ride said:
:bs: Yeah right... They heard all the complaints and only moved on it when competitors stole their thunder with a bigger tank...
Actually...if you put some brain power into it, it makes sense. The Rick's/UE tank doesn't provide a way to accurately read the fuel level - they just figured we wanted a bigger tank. H-D on the other hand can't come out with a tank you can't read the fuel level though.
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DFinch said:
The problem with that theory is that the sonar sensors are failing at an alarming rate on the 07's.
Actually...you mean't "fact"...and you're right...they rushed it in order to get the tank on the market. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't I guess.
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad Fish said:
ok, i admit it i have tank envy:surrender for 5 years now i have had a knot in my stomach every time i do a 100 mile ride. i'm ready to throw down the money for 5gal tank, but think it really belongs in the "recall" category. 3 gallons? really now who does that?

when i purchased my bike (02'), it was so damn sexy i felt like i just climbed onto a supermodel, but the tank has been like a wart or crazy long 2nd toe that sticks in my mind and no matter how sexy i can't get it out of my mind. so, i gotta do something but i'll wait till winter when it's laid up and then off with wart and i'm back on my supermodel.:D
25% discount...would suggest you go for it: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70602

ONLY 36 tanks left!!
 

·
Blowin' Smoke
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
devlpr said:
Actually...if you put some brain power into it, it makes sense. The Rick's/UE tank doesn't provide a way to accurately read the fuel level - they just figured we wanted a bigger tank. H-D on the other hand can't come out with a tank you can't read the fuel level though.

I have the UE tank and my gage works just fine. I just need to pull the sensor out every three years or so and clean it. At least I don't have to worry about trying to get some sonar high tech (expensive) thing to work. HD put the small tank in because it was cheap and quick to install.
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vroder said:
I have the UE tank and my gage works just fine. I just need to pull the sensor out every three years or so and clean it. At least I don't have to worry about trying to get some sonar high tech (expensive) thing to work. HD put the small tank in because it was cheap and quick to install.
yeah...you're right...that's exactly why they did it.

.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
They went with 3.7 gal because it fit the frame. The prototype had a 1 gal fuel cell, so 3.5+ gal was large in comparison. Sporty's have 3 gal tanks on some of them too. The V-Rod isn't and never was intended to be a touring bike. Are you planning on riding somewhere where there isn't a gas station within 110 miles? I have no problem with stopping for gas and a stretch after 110, it's the daily stopping for gas on the trip to work that is a small issue for me, but I knew the tank was 3.7 when I bought it so I'm not going to whine about it. Plus, the public gets a look at it when I'm at a gas station.
I guess I'm saying that if you don't like it, get an aftermarket tank or a new bike. Whining about it don't help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Heck, I remember when Sportsters had the "peanut" tank [2+ gallons]. You didn't go far with that.

Of course all the vibrations added to not driving real far on the highway either.

When I would run mine from Orlando to Daytona, 45-50 miles, I would need gas and I had to work at keeping my feet on the pegs at 75-80 mph. It would put your hands and feet to sleep !!! But.....it was a badass around town runner. Stop Light to Stop Light "Gran Prix's".

I think the V rod tank is fine the way it is.
 

·
Dragon
Joined
·
92 Posts
there is a good point there.:thumb: my triumph carries about 1.5 gallons so by comparison the vrod's tank is huge. still, it's hard to keep pace with some of the baggers on long rides.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
well another problem with the 3.7 gallon tank is it doesn't hold 3.7 usable:2cents:
 

·
RIP ALEX
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
devlpr said:
Here's an interesting tidbit my H-D friend told me...

The reason why the 02-06 models had 3 gallon tanks instead of a 5 gallon tank is that H-D had been trying to get the technology worked out on the sonar sensor that presently exists in the 5 gallon tanks. They wanted to put the 5 gal. in from the start but the technology at the time wouldn't allow it!

BTW...relocating the ignition switch was due to customer preference. Now if they would just provide a easy mod-kit for it!

.
If thats the case why does the 06 R have a 5 gallon tank without the sonar sending unit?
 

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
Joined
·
7,267 Posts
v10sport said:
If thats the case why does the 06 R have a 5 gallon tank without the sonar sending unit?
Different frame..... it's taller.

HH
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,036 Posts
devlpr said:
Here's an interesting tidbit my H-D friend told me...

The reason why the 02-06 models had 3 gallon tanks instead of a 5 gallon tank is that H-D had been trying to get the technology worked out on the sonar sensor that presently exists in the 5 gallon tanks. They wanted to put the 5 gal. in from the start but the technology at the time wouldn't allow it!

BTW...relocating the ignition switch was due to customer preference. Now if they would just provide a easy mod-kit for it!

.
Nope, the bottom of the tank is the same size as a pack of free :cook !!
 

·
RIP ALEX
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
HoldHard said:
Different frame..... it's taller.

HH
And so is the frame on the 07's.
The point is it as set at 3.7 gal because thats the most the frame allowed.
Not because of a sending unit
 

·
SpeedoDocter
Joined
·
2,364 Posts
I already am used to the 5 gallon.I ride always HARD now and i am close to my old range :mrgr::hitit:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top