Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts on here or have heard comments from a certain few people about how Harley Davidson wasted their time making the Street Rod. Harley Davidson intended this bike for individuals who wanted to step away from sportbikes. I think you are kidding yourself if you think Harley Davidson was trying to get riders off their Fat Boys, or Dyna Wide Glides etc.. and on to a Street Rod. They morphed the standard VROD into something that would appeal to people who were once crazed or still are by sportbikes. For example: the 31.5in seat height, USD Forks, Brembo Brakes, mid-mount controls (not rear-sets like on a sportbike), Steel braided lines40 degrees worth of lean etc... These are all things that sportbike riders are looking for that intrests them in a motorcycle. And that is what drew me to the bike.

Now the story of how it saved my life. Living here in Central Florida you would be surprised but there are some great super curvy roads around especially in the Brooksville area. I have been riding these roads for about 10 years, all of them on sportbikes. Now I am not one to pop wheelies or constantly pass cars over the double yellow, but there were some corners that I was used to where I would be doing well over 100 mph. Well after some friends got hurt and some people were getting killed I woke up wanting to slowdown, because I felt I was just pushing my luck. I tried to slow down on my Honda CBR 1000RR, but I just did not have the self-control to do so. Hell when you think you are doing 50mph on that bike its really 90mph. So I decided to sell it and get a Harley Davidson.

After researching their bikes I felt the Street Rod was the perfect choice. By the way just so you know I love many of there models from the Road King Custom to the NightTrain. In the end the Street Rod had my name all over it.

With my Street Rod I am now able to cruise and be comfortable at will (remember I had a 1000RR very uncomfortable!), yet still enjoy the twisties. My father who has been a Harley rider for many years and myself now ride a lot more then ever before. This has really strengthened my realationship w/ him. My wife is more comfortable riding on the back of the bike, and now we actually take little weekend getaways on it. Her and my 2 stepsons actually follow me sometimes up to my local dealership on a Saturday or Sunday for some free barbeque. Which is great because it allows us to spend time together as a family and they love to look at & learn about all of the Harleys there, not only customer bikes, but also the new ones on the sales floor. I no longer have to have two motorcycles because I can now do long distance trips on my Vrod.

Now I know that riding my Street Rod is not going to make me safe from every little variable, but it has allowed me to take out certain variable sdue to how I ride it. Everytime I start it up or even look at in my gargae it stirs my soul. I even love to just cruise and enjoy the ride!!

So in my eyes and for me Harley Davidson did suceed w/ the Street Rod, and I am very happy w/ my decision!!

Thanks for reading:)

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
Excellent...:plause:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I couldnt agree more. I wanted something I could feel more confidence in than my 91 gpz 900. So with the Isle of Man TT fast approaching I went looking for something more modern. A kawasaki ZX9R was soon to be available at a local dealer and unsure of how exactly it looked etc I checked out the local internet site selling bikes. happy with what I saw I was sure when it arrived at the dealers I would be happy. But while my wife checked out ebay UK she came across Edinburugh H D in Scotland selling pre reg 06 Street Rods at a very good deal. I managed to get a run on one at our local dealers and was very impressed. I decided at that point after doing as much research as I could before I left for the TT to buy one when I came home.However the next day I was off to the TT . Over the next week with the mountain section being one way and no speed limits for around 14 miles it was hairy enough at times. Things were good the whole week when a Taxi driver decided that my good time was over and knocked me off at low speed, I was fine but the bike was a write off. I picked up the bike on the 14th of June and since then I can honestly say that I.ve never enjoyed a bike as much. Every run makes me feel better and know I made the right choice. I still like a bit of speed and the sitting position , layout handling etc and everything is spot on. I,m currently trying to decide which pipe willl make it sound more like a Harley but firstly I,ve got to change the pillion seat as its just no good for my wife who will join me on more runs when I get the right one. I,m over the moon with my choice after my wife spotted the ad and look forward to more good times.

Cheers

Bryan Graham

Northern Ireland

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
Couldn't have said it better. :) I got mine for many of the same reasons.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:ride: Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
:them:
I sold my ZX-6R last summer after 2 of my good friends crashed. One didn't make it and the other still can't walk after a compound fracture of both lower leg bones, 16 surgeries and 2 years! I figured it was just as well not to have a bike.

Then spring came and the fever hit me again, so i decided to check out HDs since my wife sells bikes at the local shop. As soon as I sat on a Street Rod I knew it was similar enough to a sport bike to feel at home while riding. And being the only bike HD actually advertises Horse Power numbers on made me interested as well. So it didn't take long to convince me to buy it.

I also agree with the Original Poster, you can still drive this bike fast, really fast if you want. But it doesn't accidentally happen nearly as much as on a sport bike. So I definitely ride safer on it, too.

Ride Safe Everyone!! :moped:
RIP - Carlos Horton

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too was took by the Street Rod. I was missing my YZF750, but not anymore.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jeremylester16 said:
:them:
I sold my ZX-6R last summer after 2 of my good friends crashed. One didn't make it and the other still can't walk after a compound fracture of both lower leg bones, 16 surgeries and 2 years! I figured it was just as well not to have a bike.

Then spring came and the fever hit me again, so i decided to check out HDs since my wife sells bikes at the local shop. As soon as I sat on a Street Rod I knew it was similar enough to a sport bike to feel at home while riding. And being the only bike HD actually advertises Horse Power numbers on made me interested as well. So it didn't take long to convince me to buy it.

I also agree with the Original Poster, you can still drive this bike fast, really fast if you want. But it doesn't accidentally happen nearly as much as on a sport bike. So I definitely ride safer on it, too.

Ride Safe Everyone!! :moped:
RIP - Carlos Horton

:plause:

·
Free At Last
212 Posts
I agree. It was fortunate timing that I was in the market for a bike when the R became available. Initially I was attracted by the looks of the 02 & 03 aluminum A, but didn't quite care for its riding position and its eager low speed turning. I kept thinking of finding a Kenny Roberts RZ 350 2 stroke, but having riden them already, I know I still lack the self control to have one of those for any length of time and live. I might have bought a 1200 R or a Dyna, but I feel certain I would have tired of it quickly and moved on elsewhere.

I am real happy with my R, and plan to ride it for quite a while. It's probably too "European" for general tastes to sell well here in the US. Too bad. It's a fun bike and it's a pleasure to sample it's capabilities.

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
I agree never owned a sport bike but I wanted one since I saw a 93 CBR 900RR the yellow and purple one I believe was the color scheme well the fairings got huge and alien like headlights and they were just ugly in my opinion. Then I saw the street rod told my wife I ddin't get the last bike I was in love with so I was gonna get this one.. I have been broke ever since.. I also think that harley marketing department totally missed the boat on this bike and think they should be fired for being such idiots on this one.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
I'm really happy with my R, and I agree totally with you on getting off the sportbikes. Smart post.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
Sinbad said:
I might have bought a 1200 R or a Dyna, but I feel certain I would have tired of it quickly and moved on elsewhere.

I test drove the 1200 R and hated it. I needed a tall mid-control bike. I wanted to buy what I wanted, the first time out and not have to look back and wish I had. Test drove it once and couldn't get it out of my mind. The R works well in town and on the open road. I still feel that what limits my bike the most is me. What more could I want!!!

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
I love my R. I’ve never owned a sport bike. In my early years I owned a 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900. (Wish I still had it as it is a real collector’s item) My first Harley was a 1989 Springer. From there I was hooked on HD. In 2004 I bought a Road King Classic, as I wanted a bike I could do 500 miles in a day. I also like the idea of taking off the windshield for local riding.

When I bought the Road King I was tempted by V-Rods, but I could not see myself cruising for 9 hours on one. When the Street Rod came out I read all the reviews which proclaimed this the “best Harley ever made”. I sat on one at a dealer and was not impressed.

Months later I test rode an “A” and I did not like the handling as the front end felt heavy to me. I began to think of getting a second bike and even started looking at getting a Hayabusa. But my 51 year old 250 frame looked a little odd on a sportbike.

Then one day I stopped at a HD dealer and decided to test another Rod. There was both an R and A on the floor so I asked if I could test both to compare. Well that was all I needed. After riding both within minutes the R was the bike for me. As I rode, the bike just screamed to play. The R felt more powerful and secure than the A. I waited several months and shopped for a deal, but I added a Street Rod to my stable.

I still use the Road King for trips from Atlanta to Central Florida (540 miles), but when I want to grab curves or feel the power, I’m on my R. This bike is just a BLAST to ride!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pspez said:
I did the same thing except I went from a Honda RC51 to an 02 V-Rod. I understand and I couldn't be happier
I had a 2005 RC51 I loved that bikes...nut I love my Street Rod even more!!

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
JDR, everytime we looked at a sport bike my first thoughts were "I'll be dead so fast on this thing..." We love the D. Doesn't have the lean of the R, but it gets the job done and it makes me keep the speeds a little more in check in the twisties. That's important when you ride double a lot.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DesertSpeed said:
JDR, everytime we looked at a sport bike my first thoughts were "I'll be dead so fast on this thing..." We love the D. Doesn't have the lean of the R, but it gets the job done and it makes me keep the speeds a little more in check in the twisties. That's important when you ride double a lot.

To be honest I am surprised I have not hurt myself. I may have the skill to do what I was doing but I thought I was invincible and never really took into consideration: sand/dirt on the road, animals popping out etc.... At the speed I was travelling on those back twisty roads there is no way I could of stopped or avoided them. Then I started to have close firends that I respected that started going down and hurting themselves. So I used their bad expierences for myself and stopped sportbikes altogether!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts