Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why didn't anyone tell me the V-Rod was such a fun bike to own and ride?!

So a little about me:
I currently live in SW Missouri. I'm married with 5 kids and have been a full time police officer for about 16 years. I've been riding for about 15 years, and besides the little Honda Shadows at the MSF course I took 15 years ago, I've ridden nothing but Harleys. In addition to riding, I'm a gym rat, love baseball (I bleed Dodger blue), and I'm a tech nerd.

A little about my bikes/riding experience:
About fifteen years ago, ay my first police department, I decided to get a motorcycle. I had the bug to learn to ride for a few years, and almost bought a crotch rocket at one point. (thank God I didn't. I wouldn't be here.) My chief had a 1994 XL883L, and I bought it for $5K. Learning was jumping on it and going. Dropped it immediately. (how do you turn at slow speed on this? *Crash*) but a few drops and bumps, and a few guides, and I got pretty good. Finally took the MSF rider course, and riding got in my bones. Unfortunately, I got married and we had a baby, and all the man toys, including my Jeep TJ and my Sportster had to go.

About five or six years later, I really got the bug to ride again. It was eating at me. I happen to work with an old biker, named RD. He was a civilian employee. And he was a BIKER. Partied with the HA and almost prospected with another group. He was an outlaw with a soft heart. And he was a very good and dear friend.

He had an old 1982 FXRS, a Shovelhead, which he bought brand new at HD in KCMO. Well his health was declining, and the bike had ran in 6 years. He wound up losing his leg due to an infection, and with it, hopes of ever riding again. So he offered his FXRS to me for $4K and I jumped.

It was a blessing. My first wife had just passed away a few weeks earlier, leaving me a single father. And that old Shovel proved to be a good distraction. And after a few months of tinkering, replacing parts, rebuilding the clutch, new starter, etc. I got it running. Not long after that. RD passed away as well, and that bike suddenly became not just valuable to me, but priceless. And a constant pain in my ass, LOL. If it can shake loose, a Shovelhead will shake it loose. If it CAN'T shake loose, a Shovelhead will still shake it loose. Lot of blood sweat and tears in that bike. And I mean that in the MOST literal way possible.

Fast forward a couple years, I had met another beautiful woman who had four amazing kids and we hit it off and fell in love. As a wedding present I bought her a 2013 Sportster 883 with the intent that she'd learn to ride. She liked being on the back of my old shovel and she wanted to learn to ride. Well she never did, LOL!

After about 4 1/2 years of fighting that Shovelhead every riding season. I go tired of spending most of the pretty days turning wrenches instead of riding. I told my wife I was going to put in storage (I'll never sell it), and go get a more dependable Harley to actually RIDE, while I saved up money to turn the Shovelhead into a complete restoration project and probably a show bike. Told her that her Sportster was getting sold, since she'd never put a mile on it in 3 years. I only put about 500 miles on it myself, because it just felt like a toy to me.

So I began with the old familiar bikes: Dynas, Softails, a newer FXR, etc. Then I remembered a buddy of mine bought a 2003 V-Rod back in the day and loved it. And I had actually considered a Night Rod at one point, even though they weren't "traditional" Harley's. It was kind of hard for me to get over that, as I'm really a traditional kind of guy. Don't judge others, but know what I like.

Well, I started researching V-Rods and learned they are considered one of, if not THE, most dependable Harley ever produced. Dependable? Harley? WHAT?! Now my interest was peaked. I researched V-Rods, different variations, 1130cc can 1250cc. Mid controls, forward controls, learned they made reduced reach controls. I'm 5'6" so I was concerned about being too stretched out and uncomfortable. VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCAW, VRSCD, VRSCDX..It was all confusing at first, but I do a lot of research anytime I buy anything and I finally settled on a Night Rod Special. That aggressive all blacked out look with a fat ass and a 1250cc engine to launch it. Well that brings me to:

A little about my V-Rod:
I searched and searched and searched online for V-Rods. I finally found a couple NRS about 2 hours from my house. We drove down on a Saturday and I test rode a 2008 denim black NRS with 15k miles for $7K. When I opened the throttle on the highway, my exact phrase was "HOLY ****!" I was grinning ear to ear and sold on V-Rods. But that clamshell position had me stretched and achy.

I then went to look at a 2013 vivid black NRS with 12,500 miles for $9K. I knew in 2012, HD added the reach handle bars and controls as a standard option. And it fit me like a glove. I bought it.

So it's a 2013 VRSCDX in Vivid Black. It has Akrapovic exhaust, custom LED headlight, a Power Vision tuner, custom built back rest, Anna rear fender turn signal eliminator kit. It needs new shoes and probably a fluid change, but other than that it needs nothing. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

So again, I ask, why didn't anyone tell me these are such great, dependable, and FUN Harleys? It's like the best kept secret!

This community has been a fantastic source of information, since even before I bought the VRSCDX. I hope to learn and be able to pass information along to others.

By the way, I'm planning on wrapping the wheels with Scorcher 11s. And we just sold my Wife's Sportster yesterday. So every thing is going smoothly for now!

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Welcome!

Yup-- dealer's hate them, "traditional" H-D riders hate them, and the inmates around here? We just ride with a huge grin on our face.

The V's are pretty bombproof-- no muss, no fuss, they just keep cranking out the miles.

Welcome again!

R.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
I envy you. I wish I'd never sold my FXRP. Picture in my "Images" folder.

In time,I'll have another FXR.

Welcome. :vrodforu:

·
VRSC est -03
3,092 Posts
Nice story. Congrats with a dx, great design & look, sadly not available out thru MoCo`s doors anymore.
Have just had a ride on my own dx, holy mama, this darned turbo still scares me..! :D
Welcome to 1130cc.

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
First, thank you for keeping the local level streets safe for your 15 years of duty service. many years ago that was an easier job but these daya it is an endless struggle between politics and the law (and the abuse of the perpetraters apprehended)
yes the vrod is the ONLY HD to have in the garage in my honest opinion.
Nice lookin bike ypu got there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thank you for keeping the local level streets safe for your 15 years of duty service. many years ago that was an easier job but these daya it is an endless struggle between politics and the law (and the abuse of the perpetraters apprehended)
yes the vrod is the ONLY HD to have in the garage in my honest opinion.
Nice lookin bike ypu got there.
Thank you very much. And yes, law enforcement has changed alot in 15 years. Public perception and media misinformation has caused a lot of problems for us. But it's the same old story.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Nice bike, nice photographs, nice story. Welcome and thanks for your service!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts