Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to mount a big honkin' windshield. I've done a few searches but not really found much in the way of mix and make it work combos of mounts and screens. I've been riding a Shadow from the family herd the past few years and have fallen in love with a big Ole windshield. I will not likely be using anything intended for the R in terms of the windshield but the inverted forks make the mounts a slight challenge too.

Anyone had good luck with given set of mounts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm planning to mount a big honkin' windshield. I've done a few searches but not really found much in the way of mix and make it work combos of mounts and screens. I've been riding a Shadow from the family herd the past few years and have fallen in love with a big Ole windshield. I will not likely be using anything intended for the R in terms of the windshield but the inverted forks make the mounts a slight challenge too.

Anyone had good luck with given set of mounts?

Thanks!
HD made mounts for the inverted forks of the R they also relocate the turn signals. I got the uprights NOS from E-bay. Rifle makes plexi glass replacement windshield for Vrods.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! Look at that big beautiful ba$tard. I saw the Rifle windshields, but there's a lot of inexpensive used ones floating around so I plan to have a go at that option first. What do you by NOS?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have the HD mounts for mid size windshield, I think it was called (Mid Sport), Clearview will make you a larger windshield and drill the mounting holes where they are needed.

That is what I did.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't help it stomper, once you go big windshield it changes you. Deep down in the cockles or maybe even the sub-cockles...

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Don't do it - don't do the big windshield without changing the bike - the R is meant to haul ass without comfort to the rider, I got the mid sport W/S on mine and with DX bars yes the wind hits my helmet lower than the OEM R bars but to put a taller W/S on there is just entering the zone I don't think is healthy which is an old guy on a fast bike with a bunch of crutches and walkers to allow him to ride the bike. I mean whatever - if you gotta do it, do it but it just doesn't pass the initial smell test to me - sorry guys.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! I don't think I'm at the crutches and walker stage just yet. And to be honest I appreciate your passion for the machine. It's good to see opinions still exist in these easily offended times. Some Sportster or A bars, a big plexi wall out front and maybe even a gel pad on that Corbin brick of a seat will make it an enjoyable combo of fun and ugly.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ooh! I have the Corbin seat and while the shape is good it’s certainly a brick! I had mine redone by a local guy with softer foam. Much more-better! (I’m also a bugs-in-the-face guy)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I guess I am the old guy with a walker, hearing aid, and stool softener. LMAO 😁

Joint Shoe Shoulder Vertebrate Cartoon

Streatrodracer is correct, you will be changing the personality of the bike. How many crotch rockets do you see with with a big ass windshield? It's true intent is to haul ass and run with the racer crowd.

57213-06 is the part number if you want to join the AARP crowd. LOL

Just being funny SteetRod, I appreciate your passion and loyalty to true nature of this bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes! Look at that big beautiful ba$tard. I saw the Rifle windshields, but there's a lot of inexpensive used ones floating around so I plan to have a go at that option first. What do you by NOS?
[/QUOTE]
NOS = New Old Stock.

Used would be your best buy.

New the Mid-Sport was $350 and the detachable was $330 + $70 docking hardware and of course all are obsolete.

Part numbers I tracked down when I installed my windshield.
57226-06 Docking Hardware Kit VRSCR
57229-06 Detachable Touring Windshield VRSCR You need both part numbers.
Instructions J03685 REV. 2005-10-27 shows installation and service parts. search and it should show up on the forum.

57213-06 is the Compact Mid-Sport Windshield for the VRSCR

There were also different detachable windshield models 57105-02, 58680-04, 57895-04 for the VRSCA,B,X. I don't know if they will work I was never able to find pictures of them mounted to a Street Rod. Hopefully someone else can chine in.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info summerjim! I found a few various pieces on eBay.

Im not sure how to break this news to some of the group, but believe it or not there's a whole category of motorcycles that blend rider comfort and performance...sport touring.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
As I get older on my R I installed fwd. hwy pegs, my handlebars got taller, seat now needs to be more comfortable, bike needs to be quieter as I've now got music in my helmet and right now I'm looking at a taller windshield ? What then a hole in the seat for when the stool softener kicks in and a rack on the back for my walker ? Hey whatever it takes to keep riding I guess but my buds got a Honda ST1100 and I'll say I wouldn't mind having one in the garage (or one like it) with build in bags, smooth, comfortable, adjustable windshield, etc. etc. then I could leave the R alone and naked for just booting around and making noise - every rider needs a few different bikes for different missions !

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
As I get older on my R I installed fwd. hwy pegs, my handlebars got taller, seat now needs to be more comfortable, bike needs to be quieter as I've now got music in my helmet and right now I'm looking at a taller windshield ? What then a hole in the seat for when the stool softener kicks in and a rack on the back for my walker ? Hey whatever it takes to keep riding I guess but my buds got a Honda ST1100 and I'll say I wouldn't mind having one in the garage (or one like it) with build in bags, smooth, comfortable, adjustable windshield, etc. etc. then I could leave the R alone and naked for just booting around and making noise - every rider needs a few different bikes for different missions !
I'd start worrying when you find yourself looking for a full dustbin style fairing for it!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts