Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have notice on the forum many are keen to drop the front pulley as low as a 26T but what about the other way?

I know it would lower the RPM at cruising speed and the bike has more than enough power/torque to get off the mark with the STD pulley.

I have also noticed people say if it had a sixth gear it would be better?

Well do the people who make the 26T pulley ever think of going to a 32 T i for one would certainly buy one if they did.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I never heard of a 32T I think some international models came with a 30T but not sure if the muscle did. I found a forum discussing the 30t. As far as the 2 companies I know about who make the 26t they don't advertise any other pullys.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122324

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes long post but apparently none for VRSCF. I may be wrong but I read 6 pages of post and didn't really ready about anyone that actually got one except for this dark knight charachter. Seems to me they trying to take the Rod out of V Rod!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The VRSCF takes the same pulley as all the other models, 28 tooth for domestic and 30 for export. I think the reason that only one guy got the 32 tooth was because they were still in development of their new pulley last time I heard and he is/was a test guinea pig.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The VRSCF takes the same pulley as all the other models, 28 tooth for domestic and 30 for export. I think the reason that only one guy got the 32 tooth was because they were still in development of their new pulley last time I heard and he is/was a test guinea pig.
I am not sure what you mean by this? VRSCF may take the same pullye's as a DX but It certainly does not take the same pulley as all the other ones. All V Rods with a 240 rear require the use of an offset Pulley. Some V Rods require belt changes for some sizes while other's do not. I recently went to a 26t pulley and when I purchased it there were two option 26t and 26t offset. I for reasons stated above went with the offset.

·
boredom kills
2,326 Posts
all 02 and 03's came 30 tooth pulleys. In 04 HD started shipping domestic bikes with 28 tooth pulleys and left the 30 tooth on International (export) bikes.

I bought the hd kit, pulley and belt, and switched the gearing. It was just what the bike needed. I live in New York and there is traffice, rolling at less than 20 miles per hour, the switch helped with lugging.

On the open road, you may find yourself looking for a 6th gear, I have and so have others. The thought of 32 tooth front pulley is to make the bike a better highway machine.

I believe the right solution would be to make change the gearing in the transmission so that 4th gear would be somewhere halfway in between 4th and 5th, and so that 5th gear would have a lot more of an "overdrive" effect.

Many people have said there is no rrom to add a sixth gear.

The thread you read about 31 or 32 teeth front pullies is all about trying to maximize the range on the vrod between fill ups. Let's face it as far as MPG goes this bike sucks. Comparably sized engines on a sportbike are more efficient. The reason MPG becomes important is all about distance between fill-ups. Picture taking an 1100 mile trip on your VROD, that has to be at least 9 gas stops.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by this? VRSCF may take the same pullye's as a DX but It certainly does not take the same pulley as all the other ones. All V Rods with a 240 rear require the use of an offset Pulley. Some V Rods require belt changes for some sizes while other's do not. I recently went to a 26t pulley and when I purchased it there were two option 26t and 26t offset. I for reasons stated above went with the offset.
I wasn't trying to start anything and I was aware of the two different pulleys pending factory tire width but I was responding to your comment of
...but apparently none for VRSCF...
That guy was working on both offset and non offset pulleys at one point. He was just starting with the early model pulley first, if that post linked is not the one where he talks about the offset pulley then I am sorry I didn't click the link to that post because I knew what his plan was according to either that post or another one floating around here.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
or get a bigger tank if you have a narrow framed vrod. with a larger tank your cruising range should go up to the 150 mile or above range. rustyg experimented with a 30+ tooth pulley to increase cruising range but ultimately sold it because it didnt result in any appreciable mileage increase not to mention it required a special belt.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's all good I just noticed that three was a lot of hype concerning these pulley's then the info just kind of stops.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started this thread because i was interested in highway riding without as many fuel stops.

I personally think the dropping of the revs will not only help this but also the constant revving of the bike at 4 to 5k RPM.

I appreciate all comments and feel this is a well worth it modification and reckon ill contact this guy to see if he can do one.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm not even sure how many miles to a tank is good anymore! Today I rode about 135 miles when I got gas I was able to get about 3.75 gallons in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im still really keen on changing to a 32 and have been in touch with the guy making them.
I just called HD here and they tell me that the year and model of my bike are running 152 teeth belts now so i asked whats the next one up and they say HD dont list anything above that.

Im hoping he just means on the OZ market.

·
speed racer
86 Posts
we have pulleys for the 02-07 earley bikes as well as the late 07-10 bikes . the black knight is doing his own testing for us . an we have done our own in house test . everyones riding style is different and the rps and millage will differ from rider to rider ,but the bottom line is the same . lower rps ans better millage . an exact figure is is your own test .
spdrcr

·
speed racer
86 Posts
I never heard of a 32T I think some international models came with a 30T but not sure if the muscle did. I found a forum discussing the 30t. As far as the 2 companies I know about who make the 26t they don't advertise any other pullys.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122324
i have the same bike as you a 09 muscle and it has a 30 t on it stock . i have a 32 tooth on mine now our test bike and it works great. spdrcr

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
going to a 32t pulley will be so negligible in the fuel mileage that what you lose off the line won't be worth it.... and with a passenger it will even be worse.....will feel like your towing a bloody trailer!....not to mentioned the extra wear and tear on the clutch lugging that pig off the line!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sprocket on......

I went for the 32 tooth and received it last week.

I put it on last night and was impressed with the quality of the product but also the concise and accurate instruction on fitting etc.

Thanks to Scott for the awesome service and quality product supplied....

I havent ridden it yet as my airbox is being altered........

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill wait till i reattach my rear shocks and have the belt back in place and wheel tight lol

I will early to mid next week

Riding last week i monitored my speed at 110KPH to RPM and dropped revs by 500RPM and equated to a 15KPH speed change so im looking forward to do many riding tests :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.