Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Who works on your V-Rod?

• Quick Maintenance (oil changes, etc) by me, and dealer for heavy repairs

Votes: 97 49.7%
  • Dealer does service and heavy repairs while I enjoy hot dogs with Cheatin

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • No wrench is turned unless my hand is on it!

Votes: 60 30.8%
  • Haven't ridden the bike enough to need either yet!

Votes: 8 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and didn't see this post recently, so ..sorry if it is a repost. First time I have used the poll too, so sorry if I screw it up!!! I was curious who works on their own bikes. I wanted to know who just does quick maintenance (oil changes etc.) and dealer does heavy repairs, and who has dealers do quick maintenance and heavy repairs and enjoys Cheatin's beloved hot dogs at $90 per hour, and who does their wrench'n all together.

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
I'm greese monkey challenged, thus I have a deal with a pretty good VROD mechanic, i.e., "I don't wrench it and he don't ride it". Works:tmbsdow: out pretty good for both of us.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with that brother. I was just curious.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
:spit: Man, you kill me, I just about fell out of my chair readin' this thread!! :laugh: Hard to deny the fact that a free hotdog costs that much an hour!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'll do everything (oil change, brake service, mod install, bleed clutch etc...) except major engine and tranny work, and like VrodG, sometime I get to do things twice. Less and less as time goes bye.

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
Well...I voted for choice 1...I do the service, dealer does the heavy maintenance. But...I think you need another category..."I do all the modifications and service myself, unless it's required the dealer do something to keep my warranty current" I know..that's a mouthfull, but I've done all the modifications...from moving the front turns to the Hogpro 240 kit, wheels, rotors, sprocket...front and rear lowering, etc...all myself. But, if it needs engine work, etc, it goes to the dealer.

I'm interested in seeing the final tally...

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Flyin_Freddie said:
Well...I voted for choice 1...I do the service, dealer does the heavy maintenance. But...I think you need another category..."I do all the modifications and service myself, unless it's required the dealer do something to keep my warranty current" I know..that's a mouthfull, but I've done all the modifications...from moving the front turns to the Hogpro 240 kit, wheels, rotors, sprocket...front and rear lowering, etc...all myself. But, if it needs engine work, etc, it goes to the dealer.

I'm interested in seeing the final tally...
Same here.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I do everything that is not covered under warranty or the extended contract.The dealer has parts on order now for the neck bearings,slider replacement and a new ign switch.They will do the sliders that I had custom chromed because the front will be down.Charge is 1 hr the seals and oil.
I haven't been able to ride since Sunday because the ign switch is broke,stuck in the run position and the bearings won't allow the front to move smoothly.Almost made it to the 30k service.
I did not vote.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
It's been all me except for a warranty claim for a cracked headlight bucket 2 years ago and I let them do the 1000 mile service at that time ($82/hour and didn't get a hot dog). Haven't had the need or opportunity to dig into the motor yet but if something happens, I'll make the first attempt to fix it.

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
I do the 2500 and 7500 mile services. Dealer does the 5,000 and 10,000 mile services. Dealer/ qualified tech handles all the major stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I do oil changes and basic stuff on my own. When it comes to most mods and major stuff I leave it to the pros. Plus, I don't have all the tools that are necessary. I know I'm going to eat it big time when I do my wheel/pulley/rotor swap, SST coolant line, chrome triple trees and chrome fork down tubes.... oh well, you gotta pay to play...

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I'm still running under my prepaid maintenance / service contract. Why get dirty when its paid for already. When It expires, I'll start doing it myself, I suppose. So far, they haven't screwed anything up (but I always check). Max, of course, wouldn't set foot there again after they messed with him (HD N Texas / Allen). But so far, so good.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Danno said:
It's been all me except for a warranty claim for a cracked headlight bucket 2 years ago and I let them do the 1000 mile service at that time ($82/hour and didn't get a hot dog). Haven't had the need or opportunity to dig into the motor yet but if something happens, I'll make the first attempt to fix it.
:stupid: Or at least stand around and talk bout' fixin' it!!

·
Red Hot Rod
1,084 Posts
I put it together myself from a "basket case" so I figure that with the manuals, all the information on the forum, and the loan of a few special tools from the guys at the local dealer, there isn't much that I can't do....... :thumb:

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
Cheatin said:
:stupid: Or at least stand around and talk bout' fixin' it!!
:rofl: I do talk a good game bro but then again, you were right there talking with me.....:rolleyes: Hurry up and bring your ass out here again because I think there's more "work" we can talk about doin'.....:mrgr:

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
I do all my own work less the 10k service. I stay out of the motor for now I have a life time service plan where the dealer takes care of all oil and regural service work but I only let them do the 10k now. I just got a leak in my radiator so I will see the dealer for the warrenty work to get it done for less. I alos tend to work on many of the other vrods here in southern VA.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
I've let the stealer do all the service up to the 10K. Now it will only come in for warranty work.

·
Rub on a Rod
145 Posts
I let the dealer do most of it but I'll do the mods myself like drilling the exhaust and the horn relocation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts