Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've determined that my '07 DX is running pretty lean. I know that it has a warranty and that if it does seize or burn a piston that it'll most likely be taken care of under that warranty, BUT wouldn't it be cheaper for H-D to flash the ecu to eliminate this problem now rather than later?
Or is it up to the owner to solve this problem?
Greg

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Lean on a liquid cooled engine like the v-rod is not the same as lean on an aircooled engine of yesterday. With that said Harley I'm sure is well aware that many of the current bikes have lean spots in the maps when they leave the factory, but they can't alter the maps and keep the same epa rating that they have. It's not a case of if they should it's a case of they can't do it. I know from years of working with GM engineers that any changes made at all and special maps require almost an act of congress to get out of engineering. Usually they deny all request for anything like that because they simply aren't allowed to make the changes. If you buy a race tuner and make the change fine, Harley did nothing wrong and the race tuner does carry the not for use on the street branding as does all the fuel managment systems. If the engine burns a piston they will cover it under warranty but so far I only know of one stock engine that melted a piston and the owner was going up a mountain pass at over 100mph for severl miles when the engine quit. Under normal conditions it just isn't going to happen and they know it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well put, now I feel better. I'm used to old American v8 engines and the old saying of " too lean too long too bad" has always been sort of a montra for most of us. I'll stop stressing and just have fun. :)
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Max said:
With that said Harley I'm sure is well aware that many of the current bikes have lean spots in the maps when they leave the factory,.
Is this why my '06 D spits and sputter between 2K & 3K RPM and ,worse when cold? It also pops constantly during deceleration. It is in the stealer right now for troubleshooting and, they say they can't find anything wrong, yet they experience the same issues. I was told today that they have a call into the factory for advice. :banghead:
BTW... Stock, no mods except the holes drilled in the exhaust.

Any input from those who know???:stilpoke:

Thanks

Dave

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
PhantomQA said:
Is this why my '06 D spits and sputter between 2K & 3K RPM and ,worse when cold? It also pops constantly during deceleration. It is in the stealer right now for troubleshooting and, they say they can't find anything wrong, yet they experience the same issues. I was told today that they have a call into the factory for advice. :banghead:
BTW... Stock, no mods except the holes drilled in the exhaust.

Any input from those who know???:stilpoke:

Thanks

Dave
Been there done that with my D, they will contact HD and HD will tell them it is normal and tell you to put more miles on it and it should get better after around 5000 miles. That's when I found the forum and learned about the fuel management devices and purchased a PCIII and cured the problem myself by richening the bike up, got rid of the surging and the decel pop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spaz said:
Been there done that with my D, they will contact HD and HD will tell them it is normal and tell you to put more miles on it and it should get better after around 5000 miles. That's when I found the forum and learned about the fuel management devices and purchased a PCIII and cured the problem myself by richening the bike up, got rid of the surging and the decel pop.
They'll have to up the miles part a bit, I'm at 6250mi and it seems to be getting worse rather than better???

DJ

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Drilling holes in the exaust, you need to probably get a fuel mgmt system

·
Registered
32 Posts
wiley81db said:
Drilling holes in the exaust, you need to probably get a fuel mgmt system
Ok, Ok... That seems to be the general concenses around here, mods or not... Which one should I get? PCIII, CFR, or other??? Pretty new to me...

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
PhantomQA said:
Ok, Ok... That seems to be the general concenses around here, mods or not... Which one should I get? PCIII, CFR, or other??? Pretty new to me...
If you are going to do extensive mods get the Racetuner, if you are only going to do exhaust, filter and top mods you can use the PCIII or a gils box or CFR or RaceFueler. Depends on how much you want to spend.

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
Same here, Harley said it was normal and let it warm up longer. My ride to work is 20 min. and it still ran like crap when I got there. I installed the HD fueler an was able to tune all the pops and surges right out of it.:D It"s not just HD, almost all new engines are so lean they can hardly run..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i would do either race tuner or the pcIII

if youre gonna keep it simple go with the pcIII unless you just want to spend the extra for the RT just to have it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you feel that something is amiss,,, you should call the dealer service rep, and state your concerns, you may be running a superceeded flash. The dealer should for no charge, check this, and if needed, update the flash. This is not re-mapping, just replacing your entire operating program with the updated version. Mine was two versions out of date, and was stalling, and misbehaving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geezer 55 said:
If you feel that something is amiss,,, you should call the dealer service rep, and state your concerns, .
You mean the guys that had my bike for a week and said they couldn'd find anything wrong to cause the problem? They said they checked for intake leaks, pulled and checked the spark plugs and supposedly checked the ECU? They even said that they called the factory for advice and the factory never got back to them.
I do believe they tried in ernest to find the problem. Sux that MoCo didn't respond to their call for assistance...:banghead:

DJ

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Max said:
Lean on a liquid cooled engine like the v-rod is not the same as lean on an aircooled engine of yesterday. With that said Harley I'm sure is well aware that many of the current bikes have lean spots in the maps when they leave the factory, but they can't alter the maps and keep the same epa rating that they have. It's not a case of if they should it's a case of they can't do it. I know from years of working with GM engineers that any changes made at all and special maps require almost an act of congress to get out of engineering. Usually they deny all request for anything like that because they simply aren't allowed to make the changes. If you buy a race tuner and make the change fine, Harley did nothing wrong and the race tuner does carry the not for use on the street branding as does all the fuel managment systems. If the engine burns a piston they will cover it under warranty but so far I only know of one stock engine that melted a piston and the owner was going up a mountain pass at over 100mph for severl miles when the engine quit. Under normal conditions it just isn't going to happen and they know it.
However, it is clear to me my 07AW runs lean - it isn't good for it long term, it makes it pink, and I'd like to fix it.

Question is, how? It is the European version, so it has cats and probably a different flash. That makes me dubious about the maps...

Quite happy to pay for SERT, PCIII, whatever.

And eventually I'd like to change the exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts