Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , my name is Pedro and I really enjoy riding night rods. I live in Sao Paulo and I have a 2012 vivid black night rod special. I really like making long trips with it and believe that , with some few adaptations, it is easy to face the road without major problems. Lets use this topic to share photos, suggestions for adaptations (ergonomics, luggage solution, extra gas tanks and other things) that make the bike more appropriate for big trips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
8000 miles trip with a night rod

These photos are from a trip to the atacama Desert in south america (from Brazil to Argentina and Chile).
I am interested in any kind of solutions, ideas you guys may have to improve confort and luggage/ fuel capacity in this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
sundowner seat for the butt and kuryakyn switchblade pegs for the feet. Luggage options are limited with the 2012+ unless you do some custom stuff. I think the givi universal adapter works if you preferred a top case for the tail. Took at 3k miles trip in the fall packed up like yours in the pics and wish I had at least those two on it. Riding at night, heated grips/grip heaters and at least a heated vest help a ton in the desert night chill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sundowner seat for the butt and kuryakyn switchblade pegs for the feet. Luggage options are limited with the 2012+ unless you do some custom stuff. I think the givi universal adapter works if you preferred a top case for the tail. Took at 3k miles trip in the fall packed up like yours in the pics and wish I had at least those two on it. Riding at night, heated grips/grip heaters and at least a heated vest help a ton in the desert night chill.
Heated grips would be nice. I have never seen it in a night rod (maybe cause in Brazil it would be unnecessary). In Atacama Desert I ride in temperatures -15 Celsius. Its really cold! Just with gloves. My heated grip were the engine from time to time...

I think a top case would be nice if there were an appropriate adapter. Have you ever seen one 2012+ with it?

The problem with the luggages in the photos I sent is puting gas! Taking it off and puting it on all the time!:banghead:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Sundown seat, adjust the bar, and saddlebags with HD bags. You are good to go. I am thinking to get an 16" ape bar to sit back better than the current riding position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sundown seat, adjust the bar, and saddlebags with HD bags. You are good to go. I am thinking to get an 16" ape bar to sit back better than the current riding position.
Glock30Eric, the problem with the HD original sissybar and saddlebags is that they do not take enough weight. The rack supports only 4.5kg and the saddlebags 3kg each. So, you are going to need the "passenger" space to put the luggages that have more weight if you intend to make long rides in your v-rod.

I searched for sissybar solutions in and outside Brazil that could solve those problems. And its dificult to find one.

I found a guy that make oner sissybar that could handle some of my needs. Its a detachable sissybar that supports higher weights. Photos...

Attachments

·
EXCELSIOR
8,376 Posts
It look like you've done pretty well with the equipment you now have.

But since you've asked for suggestions,
For seats, there are Corbin and Day-Long for true comfort over long trips

For luggage, the V-Rod models do not lend themselves to really good options. The best rig would be the Cycle Visions hardbag brackets that use either standard HD Road King bags or their copy of the same type of bag.

A lot of options are out there but you asked that it be quickly and easily removeable and I can see that what you have strapped on takes some effort and time. This is an area that is best handled by products designed for the Adventure Touring type motorcycles, BMW GS, Triumph Tiger, Suzuki V-Strom etc. There are many durable and easily removeable products for these type bikes and perhaps you could adapt something.

Also for adventure type bikes there are very nice compact auxilliary fuel cans. Rotopax, they are stackable

http://www.advdesigns.com/
http://www.altrider.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It look like you've done pretty well with the equipment you now have.

But since you've asked for suggestions,
For seats, there are Corbin and Day-Long for true comfort over long trips

For luggage, the V-Rod models do not lend themselves to really good options. The best rig would be the Cycle Visions hardbag brackets that use either standard HD Road King bags or their copy of the same type of bag.

A lot of options are out there but you asked that it be quickly and easily removeable and I can see that what you have strapped on takes some effort and time. This is an area that is best handled by products designed for the Adventure Touring type motorcycles, BMW GS, Triumph Tiger, Suzuki V-Strom etc. There are many durable and easily removeable products for these type bikes and perhaps you could adapt something.

Also for adventure type bikes there are very nice compact auxilliary fuel cans. Rotopax, they are stackable

http://www.advdesigns.com/
http://www.altrider.com/
Thats right Rc4man. The idea is indeed exchange solutions. I intend here to update myself about possibilities that could be interesting in long trips. That bike in the sissybar phtos is not mine. My bike is the first one in the "Desert Hands" Sculpture in Atacama Desert with a lot of ropes and confused bags attached in the tail. My sissybar and rack are the original HD.

I know that I shoud have a touring bike for those trips. But I really prefer my V-ROD. Everybody uses BMWs. But V-RODs are unique in those roads. And thats good sensation! Obviously , these trips are made in good roads with quality "enough" for harleys.

I will try to translate my trip report and put in the Ride Reports section you mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those later brackets you posted, are they something that someone has made or are they commerically available and can be purchased?
They have lots of potential.
They can be purchased. The store is here in Sao Paulo and is called Dalavas Custom. The owner, Renato, developed himself this sissybar.
The site is in portuguese only unfortunately.

http://www.dalavas.com.br/
email: [email protected]

Attached some photos he sent me. I am interested in installing the device.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Most def if that guy who made that detachable backrest marketed this item in the states, he would make a killing in sales. Wonder if this guy makes a similar detachable backrest for my '07 NRS?

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Here's my patented design - hours of work have gone into this :)
A ventura 50 litre bag sits at the very back , the tent , bed , mattress , sleeping bag , chair , pots and pans etc go into the dry bags on the passenger seat to keep the weight within the axles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice! You have your touring V-rod! In the picture it looks like the weight of the luggage causes a lever on the bike frame (if the luggage is placed behind the sissybar). Do you feel that there is a little swing in the luggage when riding loaded or not?

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Very nice! You have your touring V-rod! In the picture it looks like the weight of the luggage causes a lever on the bike frame (if the luggage is placed behind the sissybar). Do you feel that there is a little swing in the luggage when riding loaded or not?
I can't feel any handling detriment to be honest , this works for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts