Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking on Chicago Harley for clutch master cylinders. They list three PN's
38744-06A
38744-06B
38744-09

Question is will the 38744-09 fit earlier models?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
John, it should I use the new style on my 03. I just put dot 5 in it instead of dot 4 when it was new... works just fine Donald

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, it should I use the new style on my 03. I just put dot 5 in it instead of dot 4 when it was new... works just fine Donald
Donald, Thanks. Did you change the sticker on the cover? They are available.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I didn't... guess I should do that
What color is the 2009 unit? My 03 has silver controls. My 07 has black. I will need black.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have an 09 on my 07.The clamp is different.You need the clamp too.
The 09 clutch master is a Kelsey-Hayes master made to look like the Brembo brake master.You will have to change the brake master so they match on the pre Brembo bikes.
You'll need a banjo bolt and I think a cover too.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 09 on my 07.The clamp is different.You need the clamp too.
The 09 clutch master is a Kelsey-Hayes master made to look like the Brembo brake master.You will have to change the brake master so they match on the pre Brembo bikes.
You'll need a banjo bolt and I think a cover too.
Interesting.

My issue is the peeling paint and I was originally going to strip the Master and repaint it. I applied paint stripper to a spare Kelsey-Hayes master part I had and could not get the paint to peel so I immersed the part in DOT 4 fluid. After 4 days the paint is still intact. NO peeling whatsoever.
Whatever Kelsey-Hayes uses to coat the brake and clutch it is impervious to DOT 4 fluid. This is why I was considering the swap to a newer version of the master cylinder.
You can't order just the offending part(s). You need to order a complete assembly which includes housing, internals, gasket, cover, lever, and everything else you take off when you remove those two screws holding the thing to the handle bars.. Zanotti's wants $111 for the '09 version, Chicago Harley $123, MSRP is $155

1 - 7 of 7 Posts