Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to run baffled slip ons (like the TAB) and not run a tuner?

Just wondering, I cant see how it can effect it that much that it would hurt anything...

Thanks...Kevin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some searching, here and across the internet, I still can't find an answer...

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
a little more gas in her wont hurt

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Is it OK to run baffled slip ons (like the TAB) and not run a tuner?

Just wondering, I cant see how it can effect it that much that it would hurt anything...

Thanks...Kevin
Is that all you've changed - you've not taken the airbox top off or changed to a K&N as well have you?
If so you really need a tuner , if all you've done is changed the mufflers then you should [1] be ok although it might be a bit pointless as you won't gain any benefit without tuning it (except more noise of course , which might be your desired effect)......

Steve

[1] - of course your bike may explode tomorrow , in which case I bear no responsibility.If it was me i'd fork out a few bucks to look after my $10,000 bike.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran Tab baffled slip ons for a very short time before adding the tuner, and there was a noticable decrease in perfromance over stock. It did not run well at all and is not something I am willing to do for any length of time again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You should run a tuner. There was one in the classifieds on the forum for a really good price. Not worth the chance when a tuner is only a couple of hundred bucks compared to a very expensive bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well...OK. I'll get a tuner (Damn it). :broke:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am.
Running Supertrapp FatShots slip ons.
Their instructions say if you only use 8 of the disks (12 are supplied), then don't have to tune if everything else is stock.

Donno bout TABs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am. TAB turnouts, topless (K&N) and when I took it for the dyno run the fuel air was perfect with no mods. No tuner. 110 at the rear wheel. Runs perfect.

Phatass

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am. TAB turnouts, topless (K&N) and when I took it for the dyno run the fuel air was perfect with no mods. No tuner. 110 at the rear wheel. Runs perfect.

Phatass

Hmmm. With or without baffles in your turnouts??

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Buy your tuner carefully, depending on how radical you plan to go with your bike in the future, it might be worth it to get a more expensive and advanced tuner if you plan on radical mods down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought a 2010 in the fall with 700 mi on it. Previous guy had Tab baffled turn-outs installed by dealer. I've put about 1200 miles on the bike, about 1000 with the Tabs, and about 200 with some used stock cans I bought off these boards.

Stock cans sound like a sewing machine, but the bike runs much smoother. No decel pops and consistent pull through the rpm range. With the Tabs, the sound is good (perhaps a bit too loud for my tastes), but the bike definitely doesn't run as smoothly. It's not a huge difference, but to me it feels like the difference between a new engine and a 4-5 year old engine with 20-30k miles on it.

This is in virginia/DC area, Oct/Nov timeframe, to give you an idea of temps, humidity, etc.

I plan on buying a tuner in the spring once I start riding again. I'm hoping the tuner will be a step above the stock cans, so it's a double improvement for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought my bike with the stock exhaust punched out and even with that the bike ran like a pig during open throttle. Definitely noticeable that it lost a lot of it's get up and go.

Light throttle riding was unaffected though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes..V&Hs ,it was the first thing i did.theres no problem with just doin that but ull probably do more later on so keep that in mind.V-RODS dont run at there best from factory so IF u want a tunner its ur call$..Like a young boy with a honda,the louder ur car the faster it goes- LOL yes i have a civic witha big muffler ( found it on side of road- free) only put it on because my stock one broke off.its annoying-wifes hates it, but the 37mpg is great for a work car

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out Reinhardt (sp?) Is about 10 miles up the road, and they are wanting to use my bike to make some slip-ons. If they do, then I will get exhaust for free... He is coming tomorrow to look at the bike and take a few measurements.

Keeping my fingers crossed... That will save me enough bucks to just get the tuner..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good for you ! Doesnt get any better then that..2 into 1 seems to make the best power and lightens up exhaust weight,but theres nothing wrong with 2 slip-ons

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Turns out Reinhardt (sp?) Is about 10 miles up the road, and they are wanting to use my bike to make some slip-ons. If they do, then I will get exhaust for free... He is coming tomorrow to look at the bike and take a few measurements.

Keeping my fingers crossed... That will save me enough bucks to just get the tuner..
Dammit, why didn't I know that about 5 years ago!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts