Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DuPage County
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Dealer just put on a 200 metz and 28T pulley, changed oil too, but now I've got a loud whirr/whine from the bike that goes up/down with road speed.

It's very loud, and you can hear it good with the clutch in OR really good if you shut off the motor and coast at like 30-40 MPH.

It almost sounds like gear whine or transacle noise or like a chain drive or something...Any ideas? Is there anything the dealer may have done wrong while putting on the 28T? Perhaps its belt noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Probably the belt. Some say if you spray silicone lubricant on the pulley it helps. You may also want to check the belt tension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whining Sound

I Work For A H-d Dealer In Phila Pa Pick Up Some Polly Oil From Your Local Dealer And Dress The Sides Of The Belt. That Should Stop The Squeel Or Try Readjusting The Belt.YOU DON,T WANT TO USE SILICONE ITS NOT GOOD FOR THE BELT

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dealer said it was the rubber piece between the pulley and the wheel. The next time I bring it in for service they will take of the rear wheel and put some poly lube on the rubber piece.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
If you have the chrome gaurds, check the lower one, their is a plastic bit thats very close to the tire. Mine is 1mm or less, so a slight change may cause it to rub. Just a thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
cdog said:
Hi all. Dealer just put on a 200 metz and 28T pulley, changed oil too, but now I've got a loud whirr/whine from the bike that goes up/down with road speed.

It's very loud, and you can hear it good with the clutch in OR really good if you shut off the motor and coast at like 30-40 MPH.

It almost sounds like gear whine or transacle noise or like a chain drive or something...Any ideas? Is there anything the dealer may have done wrong while putting on the 28T? Perhaps its belt noise? Thanks.
I installed the 28 tooth myself on my 03 V and the same exact thing, a gear noise that I did not have before. I have been told this is normal because of the different ratio, but nonetheless I have thought about going back to stock gear to eliminate the noise. My wife's 04 has the 28 tooth but I do not notice this noise. SO WHAT'S UP with that. Roy Rogers-Mississippi

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've installed a H-D 28T kit on my '03 and do not notice any additional noise. I did not tighten the belt to the factory specs (6-8 mm) but went for a looser fit (8-10 mm).

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
I have the belt whine noise. It took 2500 miles for it to start. My techs have adjusted my belt twice and the noise is still there but not as loud. Hearing the noise sucks and really bothers me. Not sure what else to do and do not want to go back to the 30 tooth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same as above.Adjusted and cleaned , made no difference.

pc3r
topless
V mods
28 tooth
200metz
Kuryakyn pegs and grips
SE air
Relo kit
V mod brake lines
Chrome add ons
Light mod
Paint and graphics
Fairing and handelbar assy

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I had a hell of a moaning noise for about 3000 miles w. the stock 30 tooth sprocket.Mostly coasting,sometimes it was so loud it was embarrassing.The noise just suddenly went away.Harley told me some do and some don't.W.the 200,the tire rubbed the plastic part of the chrome gaurd and scared the hell out of me.I thought it was the trans.A slight tug on the gaurd fixed it.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I think it has to do w.the cogs on the belt and pulleys wearing into an exact fit.It,s not limited to the V-Rod.I have had relacement and new timing belts sing(not from being too tight).

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
555 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Harley told me some do and some don't. Elrod on the V-Rod
AHH the famous, some do some don't speech by the crack tech's of our locally stealer's. The "shing,shing,shing" of the front rotors. Ahhh.... That's normal, Some do, some don't. The fuel in the oil on only some bikes. Ahhh...."That's normal, some do, some don't. The moan of the drive system. Ahhh....."That's normal, some do some don't.

If the stealer's would spend 1/2 as much time training the techs to be good, as they do to lie to us and take the easy way out, these would all be easily solvable.

DEALERS SUCK :soapbox:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think it is the belt. It is the rubber thing between the rear pulley and the wheel. It is star shaped. It is a rubber coupling and it rubs on the metal pulley. The technician at my dealer just got back from V-Rod training, and this is something they mentioned in the training. Pull the rear wheel and put some poly lube on the rubber coupling.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
The source discovered

I have had that weird noise also. It finally drove me crazy yesterday after giving a nice girl a ride and she kept asking what that strange noise was.
So, this morning I put the bike up on the lift and got down to brass tacks.

Here's the deal, and its pretty simple: Stand at the rear of your bike behind the pulley. If your bike makes the "cry of the V" singing sound, I guarantee the belt is all the way to the left or right side of the pulley. In other words, its not centered exactly in the middle of the pulley track. The inside of the pulley (the side wall) has some minor manufacturing rough spots. As the belt comes off the top of the pulley, these rough spots rub on the side of the belt, strumming her like a cheap guitar.

This is because the rear tire is not perfectly aligned, because of the somewhat non-precision way the tensioning cams are made. There is quite a bit of slop between the left and right cams because the hole for the right cam is too loose- they dont turn in unison as you make the last fine adjustments to the belt tension.

The fix- You need to use the slop in the cams to your advantage and "turn" or align the wheel to get the belt off of the side of the pulley. Depending on what side your drive belt is riding on will depend on the exact procedure. But the result is you need to slightly over tighten or loosen to get the right cam to an extreme position of its play on the axle, and then make the final adjustment with the left.
I put just a little lube on the side of the belt that was rubbing, just for good measure. The result is a silent belt now. So much better!

Hope this helps! :biker:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts