Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with 8k miles. Its slipping out of gear. While it's in getting repaired any other things I should replace since the case will be split? What would you do?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I have a 2002 with 8k miles. Its slipping out of gear. While it's in getting repaired any other things I should replace since the case will be split? What would you do?
Obviously upgrade to the current shift forks and new rod and main bearings.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
795 Posts
Straight cut gears and a case support too. :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Something to do with the Ratchet mechanism was updated also.
Good time to update the clutch to the slipper clutch

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Hey Ron do you know when the new shift forks were introduced ? My spare 1250 case is a 2010 AW and I think it has them but not sure - they do have a yellow coating on the slider blocks if that's any indication THX. -

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Shift Forks were updated halfway through 2005 models and all in 2006 and up

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Hey Ron do you know when the new shift forks were introduced ? My spare 1250 case is a 2010 AW and I think it has them but not sure - they do have a yellow coating on the slider blocks if that's any indication THX. -
Don't know what years were bronze plated and if not before 05, they all should be by then. I do know if you take used oil out in the sunlight and swish it around, you will see it's residue in the oil. Reminds me of the small Continentals I use to fly. Drove me nuts but learned to live with it. Bronze is funny stuff that way.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Also don't forget read the other thread here " Transmission Bearing " Plankowner911 Just 8K miles is really low to replace the output bearing but you'll kick yourself later if you don't and it fails. Have them inspect it with a 10X magnifier look at the roller balls for linear imprints or rough surface. Warning - we have figured out Knight Rod Robs bearing failure was most likely a bad from stock H-D sourced bearing, I inspected my new one and it was bad right out of the package. Not Good if you get a bad one it will fail within a couple years, ask Rob. Trying to get a SKF bearing now - read the thread if you got some time -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts