Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I'm an old biker (since 1973) entertaining the thought of purchasing a VRod.
A little about my self;
My H.D. hands on, interchangeable parts experience stopped with the 80 80. Fasst forward 33 years.. In 02 I scored an 02 Road King and after purchasing many parts on Ebay I found out parts no longer interchange. I did my level best to create a Bobber and sorta succeeded, but since then, the new HD's well...

Anyway, I've got a hankering for a new Vrod, but dang if all those Vrcxyz letters just create more confusion in my already chaotic mind..

And then on this web site I read where on some years the frames are wider and this gets me to thinking, "I wonder which years and models to avoid, which frames are better, stuff like that...
(Being 6', 33" inseam, so far the Night Rod seems the best choice, but which year!?)

So, I guess I am asking for some Vrod advice, like, which models and years to avoid and where the good dealers willing to sell one of them thar Vrods jez gatherin dust for below MSRP. I'm in Central Texas, I've got a pickup and I wouldn't mind flying and riding back if'n the deal is a good one.
Thank you.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
For interchangeability you should avoid the Street Rod VRSCR, however with a 33" inseam if you want mid-controls and a good deal it's the bike for you. I can't see a 33" inseam working on a Night Rod.

02-05 V-rod's are pretty much completely interchangeable and have the most accessories. After that things get crazy.

2004 thru 2005
-VRSCB - Black framed A with different bars

Other than paint, bars and rear shocks here are the changes...

2006 2 new models, both with mid-controls and straight shot power producing exhaust
-Street Rod VRSCR - taller frame, inverted forks, sport rear fender, Brembo brakes, 5 gal. tank, forward ignition and forward thinking!!!
-Night Rod VRSCD - Headlight and headlight cowl

2007 Wider frames for all except VRSCR, 5.0 gal tanks, forward ignition and brembo brakes for everyone
-VRSCAW - 240 rear tire and wide fender
-VRSCX - 1250cc Special Edition Aw model
-VRSCDX - D model with wide rear tire, fender and forward controls

2008 1250 cc, 02 sensors, and optional ABS for everyone.
No VRSCR R.I.P (Race Inspired Prodigy)

oh yeah there were Screaming Eagles for 2005 and 2006 with 1250 cc and bling!!!

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
I would check out the Night Rod special addition - forward controls will feel better for your longer legs. I have the night rod and at 5'8" it feels right for me - might be a little cramped for you. I know people will bad mouth them but Barnetts in El Paso might be able to work out a deal. I got mine from them before they hit the floor for under MSRP.

As for the Night Rod Special Edition check out this thread http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71264
I would wait until mid september before calling them - they should be putting the 08's about then so they might be able to work a good deal for you with the 07s

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
El Chuco...Back in da 70's I'd replace the mustang tank and cobra seat with the fat bobs and tractor seat and cruise from Austin to Junction to EP then back, just to clear the cobwebs. A lot less traffic back then.
Barnetts is known for the salesman game thing, but you are right, it is far easier to deal in person. Hopefully, there is a smart salesman out there in the 1130cc.com world...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts