Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had the bike for 2 months now, so of course it's time to start customizing. I usually like to have a plan for where I want to end up before I start throwing random parts at a vehicle--you end up with a much more cohesive end-product that way. I know my first three mods will be a pipe (because it's way too quiet), an air filter/topless setup (see previous reason), and a fuel controller.

After that, it gets complicated. I've narrowed it down to three basic directions, and I need to pick one to even get started on a pipe (because it will determine which pipe I go for). The two other VRSCs I absolutely loved were the anodized VRSCA (didn't want forward controls or a used bike) and the denim black VRSCD (didn't want to pay $17k). So, I'm thinking I either:

1. Keep the spirit of the R by starting off with an up-swept pipe (D&D, etc.) to maintain lean angles and handling prowess, keep the stock ride height, and end up with a shaved rear fender like GearheadESW's (gorgeous bike, by the way, dude) and some lighter wheels, or
2. Go the way I originally intended and lower it a little, throw on a V&H Indy pipe (since ground clearance won't really matter anymore), and get some anodized or denim black painted tins (If I go the denim black route, I'll probably start blacking parts out as well--exhaust, etc.)

My riding style doesn't really matter because I'm way too much of a beginner to be worried about 40 degree lean angles, but I don't want to compromise TOO much in the way of functionality. The thing I'm a little worried about with the denim black is that I don't like the way the silver frame looks on a black bike--saw a black tin/silver frame VRSCA in the showroom when I bought my R and didn't really like the color scheme at all. Is frame painting prohibitively expensive?

Any hints/tips/suggestions/ideas/ridicule to throw my way?

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Idea #1 sounds the best!!! We all gotta start somewhere, and you seem to have some idea where you want to go with this. My Rinehart doesn't have any clearance issues, so don't rule out a 2-1 with no upsweep!!!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
All great ideas. Pick one, and run with it. Nothing fits an "R", so, everything will be custom. Annodized tins won't fit easily, so go with the Black. Frame painting is no more expensive than any other painting. Unless you don't strip it to the frame yourself; if you have that done, crazy expensive! My CFR works great, but the Rinehart is terriffic, too. I think once you have a finished product in mind, budget is the only thing stopping you. One idea I had - see if a used 3.7 tank is available (probably plenty - lots of folks got the bigger tank), and swap yours out for the smaller tank, to allow you to really lower the thing with a set of "A" shocks, or air shocks. Once it is slammed, slap on the 240 kit, blacken out stuff, and enjoy!
I would give all that a go, but I really do use the 40 degree lean angle, and got my "R" because it does all of that so well. I can appreciate modding the thing, so, I thought I would offer up an idea or two. Good luck, and post the pictures of build. V/R Joe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Streetrodder, yeah, that Rinehart is a good-looking pipe...If I don't get a V&H Indy, it's down to that, the D&D, or the CFR.

CPTJAM, thanks for the advice--does it have to be stripped for frame painting? If so, that takes the black out of the running as I have neither the time, equipment, or ability to do it myself. Someone on the board suggested someone else who can paint tins to look almost exactly like anodized, so that may be an option. I read on another post the 240 kit runs about $1500 if you have your own wheel widened...that seems worth it because I think it makes a pretty big difference.

Man, time to start saving the pennies...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey man, thanks alot for the compliment, really made me smile as I read that:notworth: I put my own 240 rear together without using a kit, it was fun, but a hell of a lot of work and measuring. Cutting the fender was easy, just started putting on tape lines and found what I wanted, and started cutting. Had to make some brakets as I cut everthing off, nothing to bad though. Build what you think you're going to like to ride and have fun on. I think your doing the right thing by looking at other members bikes and seeing what you like. Might want to keep that cornering ability, for me that's the reason I bought the R. YellowR, thanks again, you will know what to build yourself, keep us posted with pics:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
JE can paint anything! High quality work, and worth every penny. Yes, it has to be stripped to paint the frame. I think the frame is awesome, and like it in silver. I have had dozens of Harley's with black frames, so, the silver looks great to me. When your tires need replacing, you can fit a 200mm Metz on there, no problem. Bigger requires a wider wheel. Everything is possible, but costs might slow you down. It sure limits me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts