Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VROD that is stock except for the S.E. exhaust which appear to be the slip ons. The engine surges, seems not get enough fuel in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range. I see that several people use a SERT or Power Commander or V&H Fuel pak. After searching the forum I could not locate anyone with my specific set up who left a comment on what they liked or did not like about the various options. Anyone have any experiences good or bad, please post.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also have a 2003 V-Rod. When I originally bought mine a year ago, it had the Screamin' Eagle slip-ons too and a K&N air filter. The previous owner didn't have a tuner, but when I bought a V-Mod exhaust I bought a Power Commander III (PCIII) for it. Considering you have the SE slip-ons, I'd recommend buying a PCIII for it because you download the map for that exhaust right off the dynojet PCIII website...it is very simple! The problem with the Screamin Eagle tuner is they're very expensive and you can only use it for one bike (meaning if you were to install it on you 03 and let's just say 5 years from now you buy another V-Rod, you can't take the tuner out and put it your new one). I don't know about the V&H fuelpak (I know TAB Performance also makes one), but my philosophy would be unless you have a V&H exhaust (or TAB Performance exhaust if you wanted the one by them) then I wouldn't bother getting it. I personally think the PCIII would be your best option (not only do they have the maps on their website, but if you bought a custom exhaust in the future (like a V-Mod) then the map can be custom tuned. If you watch the classified section on the forum, sometimes members sell them for a good price and ebay would be another place to look (I personally got an awesome deal on ebay for mine which was a brand new one for like $150.00). Anyways, good luck!

·
Dean
775 Posts
I understand the knock on the SERT only being used on one bike, but aren't you in the same boat with a PCIII? I don't believe ther is one size fits all approach with the PCIII. Is there?

·
Registered
188 Posts
del518-Not exactly. The PCIII that 98 vette would need is part # 809-511 which works on all 2002-2006 V-Rods. 2007 has a different part number and 2008 has a different part number from the other two. While 2009-2011 uses a PCV.

Assuming 98 vette buys a 2002-2006 in the future he can still use the same PCIII. Or let's just say he loves his 2003 and in the future he wants to buy another 2003 with lower miles he can use the same PCIII, but if he had the SERT he would have to buy another one (even though it is the same year/model bike).

You can also look at it from this perspective: let's say 98 vette buys a PCIII for his 2003 (I think they retail for $359.95, but realistically he could find one a lot cheaper on the forum or ebay) and in the future he buys a 2010 which would require the PCV (which retails for $369.95). Now if he was to buy the SERT, I think the complete kit retails for $529.85. He would have to buy one for his 2003 and one for the 2010.

So basically, the SERT is significantly more expensive and can't be re-used while the PCIII is cheaper and can be reused depending on what year V-Rod you buy (assuming you buy another one).

Does that help answer your question?

·
Dean
775 Posts
It does.

I purchased a PCIII off of ebay about a month ago for a 2008 and I didn't think that it could be used with any other VROD.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well technically the only way you could reuse the one you bought was if you bought another 2008. I don't know if you'd benefit from doing that or not though...maybe for the 105th anniversary edition one?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have a 2003 VROD that is stock except for the S.E. exhaust which appear to be the slip ons. The engine surges, seems not get enough fuel in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range. I see that several people use a SERT or Power Commander or V&H Fuel pak. After searching the forum I could not locate anyone with my specific set up who left a comment on what they liked or did not like about the various options. Anyone have any experiences good or bad, please post.
Thanks for any info.
It sounds more like the fuel flange is leaking in your bike.
If it's not,then use the SERT to change the program in the ecm for tuning instead of one of the interrupter systems.
Chances of the ecm failing are pretty slim.Chances of one of the other style interrupter boxes failing and leaving you stranded are pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, Elrod, did some checking. I see you have posted fuel flange info several times. I have now gotten a lot better with the search function.
Thanks

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you don't see the leak in the description below,chances are your flange is OK and you have other issues.
Even if your flange does not fall into the bad part #,or year described in the TSB,it does not mean the flange is OK.If you see the leak,the flange is broken no matter what.

You need a good battery operated flashlight.

With the gas tank at or below a half tank,lift the seat up and remove the filler cap on the gas tank.Put transmission in neutral and start the engine.BE SAFE! While the engine is running,use the light to look into the tank.If you see a spray of gasoline,the flange fitting where it is pressed in is broken,or coming out.
There is a TSB on this flange.Have a dealer run the part # ,(not the VIN), stamped on the flange to see if it falls into the TSB category of failed components.If it does fall into the bad part # category,Harley will usually pay the dealer,under the provisions of factory warranty to replace the flange.Most of the time the dealers are unaware of this,so the best way to handle this parts replacement is to just have the number run at the dealer,then you call customer service for the replacement authorization.
Remember,a TSB is information only.A TSB is not a Recall.TSB repairs are typically covered under the provisions of the factory warranty only when the vehicle is still within the parameters of the advertised factory warranty.
Now,some people only get the part replaced under the provisions of warranty,they pay the labor,then again,some get the whole job done at Harleys expense.The reason for this is simple,and you just have to understand that Goodwill money is not readily available 24-7.Dealers w a high CSI score get the allotted moneys first and dealers w a low score get sloppy seconds.It might not be fair in your eyes as a vehicle owner,but tough shit,this is the way the system works!

If for some reason you cannot get Harley to foot the bill for the replacement flange,there was a TSB issued,before the replace part was available,on how to repair the flange by using an 8th inch NPT tap and fitting.I do not have either TSB at my disposal,but if you search hard enough on 1130,or V-Mod.com's forum,you will find them both.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
If you are considering a SERT, you should at least check out TTS Master Tune.
Sadly, there is a large void between what is actually needed and what is available in this area. The vast majority of people will never use the full capability of a SERT or Master Tune. For a street rider adding a less restrictive air filter and exhaust system, these tuner are super overkill. On the other hand, Al’s comment above is right on. The interrupter type fuelers are less than fully reliable but really all you need. I can attest to the havoc these little black boxes can cause when they fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts