Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
04 B ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All
Newbie to the clan here, I just bought a 05 VRSCB has a 1250 bb kit it is topless has a V&H gear set and turnout exhaust tips no baffles. My question is which tuner should I get ? I like my power but i do not plan on hitting the strip every weekend. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
a piggyback unit might be under the airbox, not to sure theres room under the seat for it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It should be somewhere close to the battery or in that area...Thats where most people put them...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the harley tuner is downloaded into the ecm and prolly won't find anything "added" on. a cable is attached from the ecm to a laptop computer to change its settings. i don't know a lot about the harley tuner though. it is quiet popular also.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Stay tuned, some members are ordering up the Daytona Twin Tec tuner... I should have mine for my dresser this Friday... I haven't worked with this tuner before but it looks to be more user friendly then the T-Max system based on the tuning manuals... If it fixes my tuner problems with my dresser then I will most likely go with it on my 06D this year...

·
04 B ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info!!! Thanks a lot!!!! I will check under the seat and in the airbox for any signs of a tuner. I fired her up today and all I can say is WOW !!! This beast sounds EVIL !!!! I cant wait for the snow to melt and good weather to come back around!!!!!!

·
04 B ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so I see nothing resembling a tuner under the seat or airbox. So my next question is with the mods listed above would a power commander be all I need to get the bike dialed in ?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
OK so I see nothing resembling a tuner under the seat or airbox. So my next question is with the mods listed above would a power commander be all I need to get the bike dialed in ?
Yes... I am bout ready to become a dealer for them, check in at my site to see when I have Dynajet listed, you get my member discount...

You will have to work with it, very doubtful that you just plug it in and your good to go... You'll load in a base map for your motor configuration then you'll have to adjust from there depending on how your bike is running...

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
i would think you have a tuner with the mods done to your bike , where did you get it from , can you ask ?
If there is the S E R T , that is harleys tuner then there is a little box and 2 wires , nothing is left on your bike , you download the map into your stock ecm and then take the stuff off . The SERT marries to your ecm so it cannot be used on another bike, so if they have it it might as well come with the bike .

I am not sure but i think you can take the bike to a dealer and get them to check to see if it is the stock map or a different one on the bike .

Generally with a k&n and exhaust done most remap the bike

·
04 B ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had it sent up to Buffalo from zepka harley in PA. I will call the owner next week it was his bike and ask him about any tuning that may already have been done. Guess I am at a standstill till then. Not like it matters winter does not seem to be letting up its icy grip any time soon?? The thought of moving south is heavy on my mind right now, I could have been out in the wind already???

·
04 B ROD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so called HD dealer who owned the bike he said he did a flash upgrade to the bike ?? Does this take care of everything or is a tuner still needed? If a tuner is still needed what tuner is better PCIII, or Daytona Twin Tec? I am leaning towards one of those two. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The dealer did what's called a Stage I flash to your ECU... Basically, it "richens" up your AFR so your not running lean with the mods your bike has... You should be just fine for now... If you do more mods to the motor, cams, headwork, different exhaust etc., then you'll want a tuner... There are several out there to choose from... One of the better ones out there now is the new Daytona Twin Tec VRFI3... You can go here to check it out... If you decide at some point you want to go to this tuner PM me, I am a dealer for them and you'll get my member discount...

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/VRFI.html

I have not installed and worked with the PCV Auto tune so I can't tell you how good it is but I have worked with T-Max and the Twin Tec... Hands down the Twin Tec is the better to work with... The Twin Tec is way more user friendly and has more options for the tuner then the T-Max... I've run the T-Max in all my bikes for the past three years and have had very good luck with them but they aren't ez to work with as far as the program goes... It is another good tuner but it just doesn't match the Twin Tec for what you can do...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
OK, so called HD dealer who owned the bike he said he did a flash upgrade to the bike ?? Does this take care of everything or is a tuner still needed? If a tuner is still needed what tuner is better PCIII, or Daytona Twin Tec? I am leaning towards one of those two. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
If it was my bike I would be using the SERT or the Master Tuner and find someone that knows these tuners and a dyno.

I don't know what a daytona twin tech is.The PC is an interrupter system.It does not change the program in the ecm.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
If it was my bike I would be using the SERT or the Master Tuner and find someone that knows these tuners and a dyno.

I don't know what a daytona twin tech is.The PC is an interrupter system.It does not change the program in the ecm.
The PCUSB is the piggy back system, the new PC Auto tune is a complete ECU as is the T-Max and Daytona Twin Tec... All three are "auto tune" ECU's, using the o2 sensors in a closed loop system... The SERT or Master Tuner are good for naturally aspirated motors but they won't work with forced induction...

I am presently working with the Daytona Twin Tec TCFI III (the new VRFI Gen 3 is the exact same tuner for V-Rods) for airheads on my dresser with a pro-charger blower on it... I'm still in the process of learning the program but I can tell you that it is much easier (program wise) to work with over the T-Max and it has several features (options for tuning) that the T-Max doesn't have at this time... The engineer at T-Max (developer) is presently upgrading the T-Max and is suppose to be coming out with a new ECU but I don't have a time frame for when that is going to happen...

Tuners who are used to working with the HD tuners or the Master Tuner will like the Twin Tec as the tuning maps and how to adust the parameters to the BLR's is exactly the same... For forced induction motors, I believe the Twin Tec is the best of the three auto tuners out there but like I said, I'm still learning the program...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts