Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my new shocks (Progressive 440's) and having trouble finding the right wrench to use on the lower shock bolt nut on the lower left hand side. That is the side the belt is on.

Since I have the side mount license plate on the shock bolt, it is blocking me from getting a regular wrench on the nut that holds the bolt in. I was able to get a 3/4 inch closed end wrench on it for about a turn or two and now that it has snugged up and closer in, I can't get a grip on it. I guess I could heat the wrench up and bend it slightly, but don't want to destroy a perfectly good wrench. :chair:

Basically the license plate mount and belt guard combination is blocking direct access to the nut and if I don't have something to hold it, it just spins when I tighten the bolt using the hex socket with ratchet. I was thinking a crows foot might work, what do you think. I would guess I am not the only one to have this issue, so any ideas? :banghead:

I would hate to loose the lower shock bolt while riding. :wazzup:

Thanks,

Mike

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Raise the bike and put the wrench on it from underneath, towards the front of the axle.

You should be able to hold it in place that way.

RJ

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rjrivero said:
Raise the bike and put the wrench on it from underneath, towards the front of the axle.

You should be able to hold it in place that way.

RJ
I will give that a try as well. Thanks!!!

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, tried to get to it from underneath with a standard wrench, still no luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help RJ, maybe my situation is different somehow.

Stock swingarm, side mount license plate holder, standard Progessive spacer, chrome swingarm end cover. 180 tire and standard size Hog Pro Renegade Sonic rims and pulley. Maybe it is tight enough, but it doesn't look like I have the bolt all the way into that nut like I do on the right side.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
I just use a 3/4" open end wrench and get it from the top, behind the shock, it is at an angle so I am not catching the whole nut but enough. Not much to hang onto but it doesn't take much to keep it from turning.

Mike

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elgavilan said:
I just use a 3/4" open end wrench and get it from the top, behind the shock, it is at an angle so I am not catching the whole nut but enough. Not much to hang onto but it doesn't take much to keep it from turning.

Mike

Yep, that is what I have done in the past, but now with the side mount in the way and the shock is fatter, I guess it is pretty tight, just need to make sure. I guess I will get a torque wrench on it and see if it is tight enough, just don't have many threads on that stupid nut they have on there. What kind of nut is that anyway?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
If you can't get it any other way - yank the tire. I struggled with rear peg mounts, until Cheatin said to drop the swingarm. Sometimes thinking outside the box is the answer! Good luck! Joe

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
CPTJAM said:
If you can't get it any other way - yank the tire. I struggled with rear peg mounts, until Cheatin said to drop the swingarm. Sometimes thinking outside the box is the answer! Good luck! Joe

I was thinking the same thing...but with the chrome axel nut covers....you can't pull the axel - they are held on by the shock bolt. What I don't get is, me belt guard is the nut so there is nothing to hold?

Do you have a picture...?

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about taking the rear wheel off, but then I do have the problem with the chrome axel nut covers. I just have too much stuff on the shock bolt now. I have a side mount tag plate, shock, spacer, chrome axel nut cover, belt guard then the nut itself. I was talking to my neighbor and he says they make a wrench with a 45 degree angle on them, maybe that will do it. I tried to take a pic, but it is really hard to see.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally, I borrowed another 3/4" wrench that had a slightly better angle on it and my neighbors hands to hold the wrench from the top while I tightened the shock bolt down, we were able to get a grip on it, pushing in the belt guard slightly. I also found that if you are using a side mount for the license plate, you will need to leave the washer off or the bolt isn't long enough to get into the nut all the way. I will have to wait for the rain to dry up for the ride, but it feels much more solid than the stock shocks just by sitting on it and bouncing up and down. The lower rearend looks great now. I will have to take some pics tomorrow and post them, not that everyone hasn't seen a v-rod with the lowered rear end before. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts