Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some new tread on my 03, 180 tire on the back, and not sure where to start. I have heard alot of bad talk about the dunlops?? I am going to be putting a ricks tank in. I heard that the Avon cobra was good, but was also told that with that tire the mileage will go to sh*t?? so wanted to see what the consensus was here with the ricks tank and tire choice

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
When you state that with the Avons your mileage goes to shit, do you mean the mpg or the amount of miles you get out of the tire?
Lux runs the Avon on his '02 and gets well over 10k out of them. Shuedude swears by them and he has over 140k miles on his '03! Lots of tire threads on here, you may want to do a search and browse those threads before making a final decision.
Some tire brands out there for your bike other than stock.... Michelin, Shinko, Avon, Metzeler, Pirelli, Bridgestone, and I'm sure I missed a few. Good luck:thumb:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I never worried about the mileage (wear) of a tire. I like what feels good, what is safe and what handles well. Those things are subjective and relative to each of us. Price, mileage, not an issue and shouldn't be on this bike.

·
Can U See me now
1,672 Posts
My avons have been slipping on me in Sturgis. A couple of folks think the streets here are slippery from all the bikes, etc. I don't buy it. I have checked the air. I am losing confidence in the avons. When in Daytona, Smoothrod told me he doesn't use the avons, but prefer the metz's. They are definitely better then the Dunslops.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to throw this out there.... I put on a set of the Pirelli Night Dragons about 500 miles ago. They are not only night and day difference over the stock Dunflops, but they stick like glue and have increased my confidence level while hard cornering and at speed. Have not had a chance to try them in the rain yet, and hope not for awhile.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have never had an issue with the Dunlops. I have run the stock tires and the Metzlers and I just put the Dunlops back on the bike. The Metzlers wore out completely Front and back with only 2700 miles that is unacceptable.
I run the shit out of the bike and never had either tire let loose. On the Vrod you will drag hard parts way before either tire runs out of grip. I just can't justify paying what the Metzlers cost and having to replace them twice in one season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts