Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing shock oil & replacing to progressive stock length springs in the front and stock length 440's in the rear. here is my question has anyone tried a different weight of shock oil other then the SE 15weight?
what are the like & dislikes, I Ride single 70% of the time in the NW.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
FYI: Keep in mind that there is no standards for shock oil weight. In other words, one companies 5wt may be the same viscosity as the next companies 15wt. In order to be able to directly compare 2 brands of shock oil you must find the actual physical viscosity of the fluids.

Just as an example with the AMSOIL Shock Therapy Medium, which AMSOIL calls a 10#.
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 7.3
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 32.1
---The higher the cSt the more viscous the fluid.---

This fluid is a replacement for:
Spectro SK400 Shock & Fork Oil
Race Tech Medium
Maxima Fork Oil 10
Belray HVI 10W
Ohlins Front Fork Fluid #15
Belray Fork 10W
Spectro Fork Oil 10W
Klotz 10W
Redline Medium
Spectro SPL Very Light
Harley Davisdson Fork Oil Type B
Fox Racing Oil
Harley Davidson Fork Oil Type E

Take note that it would be a replacement for the Spectro SPL Very Light yet also the Ohlins 15#.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken, that is good info, Then do you think 10 wght will provide good damping and ride if the new springs are firmer?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
slow blue said:
Ken, that is good info, Then do you think 10 wght will provide good damping and ride if the new springs are firmer?
Unfortunately, I cannot speak on that as I have not changed mine out yet. (too lazy). I will be running the 10# with lowering springs when I get to it, probably a winter product along with my BB/Stroker. There are a number of members here running the AMSOIL Medium and I have not gotten a complaint back from them.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
slow blue said:
I am changing shock oil & replacing to progressive stock length springs in the front and stock length 440's in the rear. here is my question has anyone tried a different weight of shock oil other then the SE 15weight?
what are the like & dislikes, I Ride single 70% of the time in the NW.
I just put stock height progressive springs (p/n PS-11-1525) in this past weekend and the initial ride was very favorable but I was only able to get a few miles in. Hope to get a real ride in this weekend if the weather holds out. the stock springs starting sagging about 2k miles ago.

Be advised that there are two flavors of Screamin' Eagle fork oil:

Screamin' Eagle Racing Fork Oil p/n 99909-93k and

Screamin' Eagle Performance Heavy Fork oil p/n 99881-87, the one I used.

The bottles look very similar so read each bottle to verify you are getting the correct one, if you choose to go the SE fork oil route. Don't ask me why I know that you need to check each bottle :banghead: . P/N 99881-87 is heavier when compared to 99909-93k, but neither bottle gives actual oil weights, but as Ken stated that is useless if comparing to a different manufacturer.

You will find the progressive springs somewhat soft in the initial travel, such that it makes putting the fork cap on easier than with the stock setup. And you should see that each fork leg uses approx 24 oz (1 and 1/2 bottle) of SE fluid each. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
SE oil is not a heavy oil, Motul or Belray 15 is a good choice if you ride reasonably agressive.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have the Progessive lowering springs in both of my V-Rods.In the A I run the SE racing oil and it's stiff w very little travel under regular riding,I have heavy after market wheels and this is why I chose the off road oil,the heavier wheel gives me the ride I want w a little comfort,I have never experienced the "shock" of bottoming the slider the way it did w the factory setup.
On the X I have the laced spoke lighter wheel and I run the heavy duty Harley oil for the street.I have appr 1/4 inch more travel than the A when hitting a sharp bump,dips and washboard type pavement is smooth without exessive travel.
I also run cut stock rear shocks to 12 inches on both bikes.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I just had to replace my fork seals yesterday morning and went from the extra heavy SE fork oil to just heavy SE oil.I might be talking out my azz,but seems to ride alot better then it did before.

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
FWIW-Went the SE Heavy route and found that I didn't bottom on curbs as easily- also the stiffer ride really seems like the bike handles better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts