Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newb V-Rodder, having just purchased an 03 V-Rod from an out-of-state dealer a few months back. Checked the oil last night and discovered that it's a half quart low. Have no idea what oil was used prior to the purchase and was wondering what you all recommend I do? I doubt mixing two types of oil will cause any problems, but want to make sure and find out what oil I should use with the 'mystery' oil.
Have 11,500 miles on her and supposedly had its 10k service, but I didn't get any documentation on that. Hoping to wait until next Spring before getting it serviced again and wanted to fill 'er up with oil before that.
Thanks in advance,
Duke

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it were me i'd just go ahead and change the oil myself. Real easy job to do. Plus you would know what oil was in it.Get you some good quality synthetic oil and a filter.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Maddogg57 said:
What do you use on your Bike?
I have been using Amsoil since 10K miles and now have 32K. It used some oil until 10K so I waited before the switch from dino. I have almost 6K on the last change without any add and could not be more pleased with Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
One thing that I would like to add is that if you are going to be storing your bike over winter you should change the oil and filter before putting it in storage.

I say this because you mentioned not wanting to change oil until spring.

·
"Beyond the Pale"
1,214 Posts
I need to do the 5k checkup (I got 5300 on it). Is it too early or ill-advised to switch to amsoil now?
Thanks

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
I'm taking the V rod in for a check up today, I meant to get some Amsoil, but never got around to it. Can I use Syn 3 for now, then switch to Amsoil next time?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
You can change to synthetic at any time. I generally change all my new vehicles over between the first 500 and 1000 miles. You can also change from one oil to another without issue.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good read:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I was talking to one of our other engineers at work and he is using PAO oil. Ran accross this article while researching PAO.

I'm also sometimes asked if it's ok to run non-Harley oils in Harley-Davidsons. In my opinion, yes. If you change your engine oil every 3,000 miles or so, you can run pretty much any decent oil. I ran Valvoline in my Harleys for 120,000 miles. For extended oil life or superior protection, I recommend AMSOil, Golden Spectro, Motul 5100 or Mobil-1. Harley recommends a 20w-50 oil, so Rotella or other synthetic diesel oils will not do. However, the 15w-40 diesel oils meet the same film strength standard as 20w-50 oil, and are just fine to run in your Harley. I'm told that the standard Harley oils are made by Sunoco, and the Syn-3 is made by Castrol. The Syn-3 Harley synthetic is primarily a Group III oil, and contains very little PAO or Diester stock. I don't consider the Syn-3 Harley oil either a particularly excellent oil, nor a competitively priced oil.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Panman said:
Good read:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I was talking to one of our other engineers at work and he is using PAO oil. Ran accross this article while researching PAO.

I'm also sometimes asked if it's ok to run non-Harley oils in Harley-Davidsons. In my opinion, yes. If you change your engine oil every 3,000 miles or so, you can run pretty much any decent oil. I ran Valvoline in my Harleys for 120,000 miles. For extended oil life or superior protection, I recommend AMSOil, Golden Spectro, Motul 5100 or Mobil-1. Harley recommends a 20w-50 oil, so Rotella or other synthetic diesel oils will not do. However, the 15w-40 diesel oils meet the same film strength standard as 20w-50 oil, and are just fine to run in your Harley. I'm told that the standard Harley oils are made by Sunoco, and the Syn-3 is made by Castrol. The Syn-3 Harley synthetic is primarily a Group III oil, and contains very little PAO or Diester stock. I don't consider the Syn-3 Harley oil either a particularly excellent oil, nor a competitively priced oil.

Actually, the last time I checked the Harley oils including SYN3 were being produced by Venezuelan owned Citgo.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Amsoil, and just a reminder for anyone in the Northeast, I stock over 3k in amsoil products and I also stock vrod filters..

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
there are about a million different threads on this subject. Try doing a search on the site and get all the information and then you can decide for yourself. It's kinda personal preference, but the facts do not lie, but some people still swear by their brand of oil even though you prove to them that there are better versions out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts