Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a coolant flush n change on a 07 vrscaw. I figured I would pick up 2 gallons of hd premixed antifreeze and do it up. But they only sell the schtuff $11 quart bottles. Any suggestions on what coolant should be used?

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
I use Dexcool from the auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Your owners manual documents what is recommended (type not brand). Dexcool fits the requirement.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I plan to use Peak Lifetime 50/50. It's supposedly the same as the HD coolant, just rebranded.
Probably is, just different dye in the HD brand for re-branding purposes.
Just remember life time really doesn't mean life time. Mind you, my crappy Hyundai Accent has 11 year old antifreeze in it. My bike, 2 years I swap it out to keep the corrosion at bay. Don't care about the car, obviously, so lifetime might apply here , LOL.
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
I plan to use Peak Lifetime 50/50. It's supposedly the same as the HD coolant, just rebranded.
Probably is, just different dye in the HD brand for re-branding purposes.
Just remember life time really doesn't mean life time. Mind you, my crappy Hyundai Accent has 11 year old antifreeze in it. My bike, 2 years I swap it out to keep the corrosion at bay. Don't care about the car, obviously, so lifetime might apply here , LOL.
Ron
Oh I know. That's why I'm doing a coolant flush on my 13 NRS next weekend. Actually doing ALL the fluids.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wondering what process you use to flush and fill.
I did it when I first got mine 2.5 years ago.
I pulled front cylinder drain plug as well as opening the left side lower butterfly drain screw.
I'm aware of the top pipe vent/fill screw in the right side of airbox bottom

Do You drain and fill with distilled water and run that up to temp and drop it before you
fill with new fluid? Distilled water and vinegar?
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wondering what process you use to flush and fill.
I did it when I first got mine 2.5 years ago.
I pulled front cylinder drain plug as well as opening the left side lower butterfly drain screw.
I'm aware of the top pipe vent/fill screw in the right side of airbox bottom

Do You drain and fill with distilled water and run that up to temp and drop it before you
fill with new fluid? Distilled water and vinegar?
Thanks!
I just went by the method in the service manual. Make sure you do it while the engine is COOL. Hot coolant spraying all over you is not a good thing.

Obviouslyy this isn't a quote, but is a summary:

1. Pull the main fuse
2. Loosen pressurized cap under air box cover tin.
3. Remove left radiator cover.
4. Loosen, but don't remove the radiator drain screw under the left radiator cover. Fluid will pour out, and you will catch it in a pan.
-NOTE: The drain screw is a plastic screw with a wing shaped top so you can easily grab it and turn it with your fingers. Supposedly. Mine was tight AF and I had to use pliers to turn it. Just be careful...it's plastic.
5. When the coolant stops flowing, screw the drain plug back in. Hand tight only. Again...it's plastic, don't crank on it like a #8 bolt.
6. Remove the drain screw in the front cylinder. It's next to a radiator hose leading to the block. It is an Allen head. I don't know what size, sorry. Fluid will piss all over your radiator. Catch it in a pan.
7. When your bike is done pissing, put the bolt back in, torque to 87 in lbs. Or do like I did and guess how tight that is. It's an aluminum block, so don't tighten it so hard you strip the threads.
8. Under the air filter, there is a black rubber plug. Remove it. Under that plug is an air bleeder valve bolt. Allen bolt again. Loosen it, but don't remove it.
9. Start pouring coolant in the filler neck where you removed the pressurized cap. Not the over flow bottle next to it. Pour in fluid until it is filled to the top of the filler neck. Should be about 2 quarts. You'll have to stop several times and let air escape and add fluid.
10. Tighten air bleeder valve to 86 in lbs.
11. Close pressurized cap.
12. Put air filter, air filter cap, and air box top back on.
13. Replace main fuse
14. Start the engine to circulate the coolant
15. Before the engine warms up, check the overflow bottle. If the level is below the "COLD FULL" line, then fill it to...you guessed it. The COLD FULL line
16. Continue to run the engine and keep checking the overflow bottle and make sure the level stays at COLD FULL.
17. Done

Now the next morning, I came out and the overflow bottle level was below the COLD FULL line, so I added some more coolant. I'd say some air bubbles worked their way up overnight. But overall I added about 2.5 QTS coolant total, which is the VRod capacity.

I didn't run any distilled water or vinegar or any coolant system cleaner. Just swapped fluid. There was some scaling in the filler neck, but not enough to concern me. I may flush some cleaner through it when I change the coolant again in a couple years.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a service manual. I found one for under $50 on eBay and it was well worth the money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I want to do a coolant flush n change on a 07 vrscaw. I figured I would pick up 2 gallons of hd premixed antifreeze and do it up. But they only sell the schtuff $11 quart bottles. Any suggestions on what coolant should be used?
By the way, the capacity is 2.5 QUARTS, not gallons. So unless you're flushing it three times, you would be good with just 3 quarts of the HD stuff, or 1 gallon of the auto parts stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks -
Just FYI - I was interested in Engine Ice but is is pricey and I all ready have a jug of Peak Global Lifetime (Same as HD Stuff) .
So I am going to mix some water wetter in with that and see if it runs a little cooler.

I will drain the old stuff, fill with Distilled water and a little vinegar, run that up and drain it and then add the Peak global 50/0 with some water wetter,.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Thanks -
Just FYI - I was interested in Engine Ice but is is pricey and I all ready have a jug of Peak Global Lifetime (Same as HD Stuff) .
So I am going to mix some water wetter in with that and see if it runs a little cooler.

I will drain the old stuff, fill with Distilled water and a little vinegar, run that up and drain it and then add the Peak global 50/0 with some water wetter,.
Think I'd forget the vinegar part. Just distilled water.
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Either Peak or Prestone (probably both) make a coolant system cleaner. It's specifically made to clean and flush your collant system. I'd use that before I put vinegar in it. It takes souch to get all the vinegar and that smell out. And under high heat, vinegar will cook and turn brown.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I recently switched to Evans water-less coolant. I am very happy with it.

It is pricey and a bit of a process to use, but after that it never needs to be changed again.
As with all of these coolants, the bike running cooler is negligible depending on the climate you live in. Evens has a lower freezing temp and higher boiling point.

I would not necessarily put it in my car. If I decide to build a car, then I would use it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts