Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ROCK*STAR
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a leak in the left lower rear of my engine. This weekend, I should have a chance to clean everything out and go for a short ride to pinpoint the origin, but I haven't yet. It's for sure not the vent tube. I believe that it coming from the front sprocket, but I'm not sure. I know for sure that the oil is being thrown up all over everything though. I did a search, but every oil leak thread I could find was vent tube or stator gasket or the occasional cam cover gasket. Just wondering if there's any common problem areas that anyone has come across.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a leak in the left lower rear of my engine. This weekend, I should have a chance to clean everything out and go for a short ride to pinpoint the origin, but I haven't yet. It's for sure not the vent tube. I believe that it coming from the front sprocket, but I'm not sure. I know for sure that the oil is being thrown up all over everything though. I did a search, but every oil leak thread I could find was vent tube or stator gasket or the occasional cam cover gasket. Just wondering if there's any common problem areas that anyone has come across.
Difficult to see when there is so much oil spills, better to wash engine completely clean and drive until you see where it comes from

·
EXCELSIOR
8,438 Posts
Other areas you should consider from your photos are the shift shaft oil seal or tranny output shaft oil seal.
Not typical complaints but any opening and either it's gasket or seal are the only places that oil could come from.

·
ROCK*STAR
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. I'm just hoping there isn't more to it like a bearing went bad and took the seal with it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
ouch...this sucks.

·
ROCK*STAR
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to split the case. I just went through exactly this. Here are some great details.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75276&highlight=max

I think it comes from running the belt too tight.
I just read through your thread. Did you ever find bearings for it and get her going? Looks like I have a lot more play in it than you did, but right now, even though I'm expecting the worst, I'm hoping for the best. I'll probably start tearing it down shortly.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Yea...the 03 parts manual shows the shaft as one piece...but the 04 lists them separately. I ordered the 2 bearings from the 04 parts manual. This was all 40k miles back...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I think I found the cause of my oil leak.

Looks like I'm going to need an output shaft bearing and seal retainer at a minimum. Hopefully the big second gear cog didn't eat into the case.
WITH THE NUMBERS OFF THE SEAL AND THE BEARING YOU CAN BUY THAT LOCAL-- AT MOST PLACES THAT DEAL IN THOSE TYPE OF PARTS --THIS SAVES TIME AND MONEY WHEN REPLACING THEM BY NOT PAYING SOMEONES OVER HEAD IN A SHOP--BEEN DOING THIS NOW FOR 50 PLUS YEARS --

·
Registered
603 Posts
LOL, a 9 year old thread revival. Whats with all the decade old revivals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts