Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Where's all this attitude crap?

2K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  deathdealer2006 
#1 ·
2K on the new 09 DX now, and I just ain't seeing it. Not once.

Everywhere I go, riders I've never seen before come over to ogle it and visit with me. They are serious riders, and almost always have glides of some kind; Ultra, Electra, Street, Road, R/K, and they do some serious miles.

Friendly, intelligent, curious discussions about the bike, what I think of it, how it handles, and so on, and about riding in general. Not a single negative comment. Some do think that I must like speed if I'm on a VRod, though, which I never really cared about.

I had some comebacks all ready to go, that I got from this forum, so I'm almost disappointed, ha. But now instead of a comeback, if I get negative comments, I think I'll just keep it civil, and work around to what they ride and how many miles they ride. (what year is YOUR bike? how long you had it? how many miles? )

It could be just because I'm in the friendly midwest. But I suspect that the negative attitudes are coming from keyboard and sidewalk commandos that like to dress up in costumes, but don't ride much.

#2 ·
Give it time

2K on the new 09 DX now, and I just ain't seeing it. Not once.

Everywhere I go, riders I've never seen before come over to ogle it and visit with me. They are serious riders, and almost always have glides of some kind; Ultra, Electra, Street, Road, R/K, and they do some serious miles.

Friendly, intelligent, curious discussions about the bike, what I think of it, how it handles, and so on, and about riding in general. Not a single negative comment. Some do think that I must like speed if I'm on a VRod, though, which I never really cared about.

I had some comebacks all ready to go, that I got from this forum, so I'm almost disappointed, ha. But now instead of a comeback, if I get negative comments, I think I'll just keep it civil, and work around to what they ride and how many miles they ride. (what year is YOUR bike? how long you had it? how many miles? )

It could be just because I'm in the friendly midwest. But I suspect that the negative attitudes are coming from keyboard and sidewalk commandos that like to dress up in costumes, but don't ride much.
Could be but chances are you'll hear some sheet sooner or later. I don't hear a whole lot, had one serious confrontation over the years and the s$$hole was on a shovel-an AMF, so that was easy to shut his mouth.
I think some feel superior expect their asses kissed when they roll in on their V's.
I don't need acceptance or expect anyone to drool over my scoot. I see a guy on a raked out chopper, old school bobber or big-a$$ bagger I would not expect him to like the V, just like I could give a $hit about his crap. Some however really do.

#3 ·
It was bad in the beginning (2002) , either people ar now getting used to the vrod or they ran out of things to say , most h-d people are changed since the vrod wins at the drag strip and its braggin rights , who knows . Be assured their is an a-hole out there that will say something really stupid at some point. Enjoy your dx.

#6 ·
It was bad in the beginning (2002) , either people ar now getting used to the vrod or they ran out of things to say , most h-d people are changed since the vrod wins at the drag strip and its braggin rights , who knows . Be assured their is an a-hole out there that will say something really stupid at some point. Enjoy your dx.
You have a very good point. When i first brought the rod to the local Harley drag strip a few years ago, the anouncer even cut it down. But now i have to say that their attitudes have changed and alot of racers respect the V-Rod now because a street machine is keeping up or blowing away the strip only bikes.

#4 ·
keeping conversation civil is very wise.

my experience has been that typically younger bikers love the vrod and older ones (someone on this forum used the term "pirate baggers" lol) refuse to accept a liquid cooled HD. I've seen this at "biker bars" as well as at a couple of stealerships.

one comment made to me by an 'old timer' as I was leaving a bar was "have fun speeding around". I smiled and said "will do".

can we all get along? yes, of course we can.

#5 ·
:them:

It can happen. More and more you will see people liking the bike though. Everyone are due to their own opinion over all though. Just some people think they should express it in an unwanted way. And some people jst don't understand when they are bing ignorant fools. So just be nice. No reason to get all pissy until there is a need to be pissy, then control the situation. Just don't think it's not going to happen because it very well may. Especially if you are in a larger biking community.

BTW...Friends will definitley do it just to raz you and they don't count :)

#7 ·
Same here. I get nothing but compliments. Of course I never take it to the one hankyhead bar around here. Because all the chicks there are either accounted for or ugly as sin. I guess the real test will be rolling it over there and parking it up in the mix. I'll haul the 36DDD girl with me though, doubt anyone will even notice it.

#9 ·
I've been riding a vrod for years now and I've never even heard of hint of the "it's not a real harley" crap, not a single time ever, even though I've got a dozen responses already memorized. My riding partner says it's because the DX is more accepted into the harley community, I think it's just the way I ride in not caring who looks at it or what they think.

#10 ·
That or...

That or they all know VRODS have terminal cancer and might not make it so they are being nice...........WELL PHOCK YOU ALL ANYWAYS !!!! :D

It all boils down to the alignment of the planets causing the moon to have extra gravitational pull. Now this gravitational pull also has to do with the tides and cycles both in the ocean and in women if you know what I'm saying. And that is why they are bitchy when it comes to the VROD. :blahblah:

People see me and they keep their mouth closed. The one time someone said something was only because he outranked me and it was in a crowd. He thought I was gonna keep my mouth shut when he said in a huff " Vrods...I dont like them " But my reply was " Thats fine Sir I can understand that I personally dont like fat useless ( IMHO) baggers and I didnt feel like paying tomorrows prices for yesterdays technology" "Plus Porsche helped out with the engine which is why I'm guessing it doesnt leak, has been pretty reliable and gets me from point A to B how ever fast I want."

Once people heard Porsche they just ignored him and bombarded me with questions. :D

#11 ·
Probably the difference in attitude is the difference in "destination."

Biker Bars have always seemed to be a sticking point with me. If you are a biker, why do you need a bar to ride to? Why not just ride. If you are riding to a biker bar just to get into a pissing contest about who has a wider tire or more chrome or a vibrator in the P Pad... then that's what you should expect to get. Drunks who seldom ride farther than they can walk home if they need to.

Riding to a destination, where others who have ridden great distances to get to appreciate any type of bike. They also appreciate the miles you put on to get there.

The guys I ride with are 75 miles from my house. Over the last 10 years, 3 trips have started from my house and 300 have start from theirs. We ride to the gold country, Yosemite, Tahoe, Reno and a lot of places in between.

I have 45,000 miles on my bikes BEFORE going anywhere. Which is just the round trip from the ride's "start point."

I can't say I haven't been to a biker bar or two, and maybe even a bike night... but I try to do way more riding and way less time worrying about who likes the current bike I'm riding.

But, that's just my opinion.

#12 ·
I agree. I don't go to "biker bars" I go to bar bars, and I live in Houston, so it's riding season 362 days a year (not counting when it's raining an inch a second) so there are lots of different bikes where I go. I prefer it that way, sport bikes, cruisers, Harleys, all of it all at once.

January 1st this year:

Several Airheads, 2 V-Rods (and I have no idea whose DX that is), a custom chopper and some sport bikes. And this is Molly's pub, not a biker bar at all.

#13 ·
I worked with a mechanic who insisted the V-Rod wasn't a Harley. 2 responses shut him down:

1. "I'm amazed you made it as a mechanic without being able to read, since it says Harley on the airbox cover.", and

2. "That's funny, your girlfriend didn't have any complaints when I was banging her on it last week"....

Pretty much quieted him down.....

#14 · (Edited)
In the past,I've had to many brand new rear 260 met'z slashed or stabbed at bars/saloons....especially at night.Usually when you roll up to biker bars ,the drunk bastards sit on it or argue .

My rules of thumb:
a)I've been visiting cafe's or restaurant bars where the clientele is decent and awesome gals hangout.
b)Cut off the engine and drift into the mix of motorcycles.

It's riding season 365 days of the year in sunny California.

#15 ·
But I suspect that the negative attitudes are coming from keyboard and sidewalk commandos that like to dress up in costumes, but don't ride much.
ding ding ding!!! Any negative crap I've gotten in person regarding the V has been from the the types you describe above. I've even gone to "real biker" bars and have only had one or two folks give me moderate good hearted ribbing.
Hell, did this one ride with a group of 40+ sport bikes, we ran into some gray beard soldier types that pulled in soon after. One of the guys came over to us and started dissing VRODs and invited us over to take a look at a real bike. Imagine my surprise when the real bike was a ratted out new DX w/custom home fabricated exhaust:eek:

#16 ·
Not trying to sound Luxish, but I think short riding seasons bring out the butthole in people too. If there are bikes everywhere you go with all kinds of people on them 24/7/365 then it's just not worth while to try to be a bitch about a particular model, because they're everywhere. I've posted up pics here and talked smack about certain bikes I hate the look of. (M109r, BMW r1200c, etc). But that's shit talking with you guys, I'd never be anything but nice to these people in person, just because that's good manners and the way people should behave.

#17 ·
We are pretty lucky here in Houston even the 1%ers respect the V-rod as a Harley here. I have not heard anyone talk bad about my bike or V-rods in general. My experience in Houston has mainly been a very open one to all bikes though, hell I saw a Bandito on a crotch rocket the other day here. The only closed minds I have ever met around here have been rubs and who gives a sh!t about them anyway.

#18 ·
When I went to the freak show in Plantersville (I can't spell renaissance festival) there was a DX parked out front with Bandito crap painted all over it. People usually don't care here. That and everyone and their grandmother is armed to the teeth in Texas so politness just makes sense. Not a joke, I think most people realize that it's not worth something escalating into a gun fight over talking shit about nothing, so we're pretty polite to each other (except when anonymous in our cages in traffic, then we're all assholes)

#21 ·
Seems like most of the comments come from the "Wild Hogs" type of riders who are 99% of Harley airhead riders. Every time I go to a show or see other Harley riders out I can't help but thinking of the Wild Hogs movie, most of the time they fit that bill perfectly.

#26 ·
I think most people that talk about the bad mouthers,look for others to bad mouth what they ride.
I get a lot of,what type bike is that?
The Outlaws ride V-Rods so there's no problem w the 1%'s.
I've butted heads on the technology,but the people that I've done that with understand the drawbacks on both sides,so not really a big deal.

#28 ·
I think most people that talk about the bad mouthers,look for others to bad mouth what they ride.
I get a lot of,what type bike is that?
The Outlaws ride V-Rods so there's no problem w the 1%'s.
I've butted heads on the technology,but the people that I've done that with understand the drawbacks on both sides,so not really a big deal.
Or roll in with a superior attitude because they ride a V looking to be special. Anyone?
In any case, it's an asshole with his own issues that rag your bike, clothes or anything else. I wonder more what the fock is their need to say $hit.

#32 ·
:hmm: What? You went to the store and bought it dude. You didn't squeeze it out your vag.

#31 ·
I was an old school air header back in my days,having a '48 pan.. in '02 went to the local stealer to look around..and saw this funky lookin,futuristic looking thing..I said "what in Gods creation is that"?? Its a V-Rod I was told.. damn its the fugliest thing I ever seen..never catch on..

I simply LOVE my B!!

#37 ·
14K plus miles in the last 1.5 years and not a single issue. It's been all over FL and other southern states, including plenty of those 'biker bars' and I've never had a problem. From what I can tell, most folks really like the look of it by giving the obligatory nod or thumbs up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.