Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to get my clutch replaced and can't find a place in the metroplex to have it done. I went to Longhorn Harley on I20 walked in and ask how much it would cost. The person in service told me that the clutches alone cost $500. dollars. I ask how many clutches they have replaced on v-rods and he said I think one. Then I went to the Harley in Euless and they told me that it may not be the clutch that maybe the motor was weak from age and thats why I can't burn out anymore. I don't think its the motor it runs way to good. So I ask them how many clutches they had replaced and they said the same thing, I think we have only done one. Now I know when people say (I THINK) that it means that there is a good chance that it never happened.

So does anyone know who in the metroplex can change the clutch for me? At this rate I may try my self if I can get the tools. Which I hear is almost impossible to get your hands on the tools. If any forum members know how and have changed their clutch I will even pay them to do it. I just can't seem to trust the dealers with the answers I am getting.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Sounds like first you need to make sure that it really is a clutch problem. You mention you 'can't burn out anymore". Can you be more specific on the symptoms? Does the clutch slip under load? Has the clutch point changed? When is the last time you changed the oil? How about the clutch fluid? Pulling the cover an looking at the plates would be a good first step - that could tell you a lot and is pretty simple to do.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Wow... that shocks me about Texas Harley.:banghead: Although, I've never gone to them for any service issues.

You should bring it out to Tyler. Lone Star is fantastic!

Seriously - there's Fort Worth Harley on West Loop 820, Eagle up in Corinth and a few in Dallas.

Heck... Do it yourself!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
u-rod said:
I am ready to get my clutch replaced and can't find a place in the metroplex to have it done. I went to Longhorn Harley on I20 walked in and ask how much it would cost. The person in service told me that the clutches alone cost $500. dollars. I ask how many clutches they have replaced on v-rods and he said I think one. Then I went to the Harley in Euless and they told me that it may not be the clutch that maybe the motor was weak from age and thats why I can't burn out anymore. I don't think its the motor it runs way to good. So I ask them how many clutches they had replaced and they said the same thing, I think we have only done one. Now I know when people say (I THINK) that it means that there is a good chance that it never happened.

So does anyone know who in the metroplex can change the clutch for me? At this rate I may try my self if I can get the tools. Which I hear is almost impossible to get your hands on the tools. If any forum members know how and have changed their clutch I will even pay them to do it. I just can't seem to trust the dealers with the answers I am getting.

I have put a bunch of them in, they really are easy. Even pulling an exhaust like yours it takes a couple of hours tops. I have a clutch tool but it's been all over the country and I'm not even sure who has it right now. :rofl:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steppenwolf said:
Sounds like first you need to make sure that it really is a clutch problem. You mention you 'can't burn out anymore". Can you be more specific on the symptoms? Does the clutch slip under load? Has the clutch point changed? When is the last time you changed the oil? How about the clutch fluid? Pulling the cover an looking at the plates would be a good first step - that could tell you a lot and is pretty simple to do.
In the past I could just pop the clutch at a slow roll and smoke the tires until I got tired. Now it just falls on its face and won't do anything. I have change the oil in the clutch thinking it was bad, but no luck does the same thing. I change the oil about 2 or 3 times a year. It does seem to slip a little going into 2nd when on it real hard, but not much. All the other gears seem to be fine. I guess I need to pull the plate off and look like you said, just not very good with working on motors and things. Can I pull the plate without taking off the exhaust? Thanks for your help.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Don't do it! You can get an AIM clutch for that price. Plus, there are enough members in the Dallas area that could help you install it for the price of a case of beer, I would bet.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
u-rod said:
In the past I could just pop the clutch at a slow roll and smoke the tires until I got tired. Now it just falls on its face and won't do anything. .
'falls on its face' is still not very specific to me... do you feel the clutch slip? Can you see it by watching the tach?

u-rod said:
I have change the oil in the clutch thinking it was bad, but no luck does the same thing. I change the oil about 2 or 3 times a year.
You do know that the clutch shares oil with the engine - all the same thing...

If you do like to pop the clutch a lot, then chances are the plates are getting worn.

u-rod said:
Can I pull the plate without taking off the exhaust? Thanks for your help.
No. Exhaust needs to come off. There do seem to be a lot of forume members near you - I suggest you stock up an beer and pizza and send out an APB. :) I'll bet you find someone to pull that puppy apart with you.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Do it yourself dude. One of the easiest mods/repairs you can do is to replace the clutch. Clutches run about $160 and you can do it yourself in a few hours at the most.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Max said:
I have put a bunch of them in, they really are easy. Even pulling an exhaust like yours it takes a couple of hours tops. I have a clutch tool but it's been all over the country and I'm not even sure who has it right now. :rofl:
What do you think Max? Can you help and old guy out? I will make it worth you while. Just tell me what parts to buy, any day or night is fine. :notworth:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
u-rod said:
What do you think Max? Can you help and old guy out? I will make it worth you while. Just tell me what parts to buy, any day or night is fine. :notworth:
A clutch is no big deal at all. I may even have a new stock clutch laying around here some place. If you want a barnett or something, that you would have to get. To me it really doesn't matter both are the same to install.

I will say though that the bike falling on it's face when you dump the clutch isn't what I would consider to be a failing clutch. It's so hard to compare, when the roads are slick and the air is cool my bike is terrible about getting wheel spin but as the air warms up, the pavement gets hot it takes more rpm to get past that bog point. Usually a worn clutch will show up by getting the bike to highway speed. Then without downshifting give the bike full throttle from 4k to 5k rpm. A worn clutch will usually break out a little at that point. Usually they will still hold fine in lower gears because of the mechanical advantage they have but the problems show up in high gear first because they are being ask to hold more pressure at that point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Max said:
A clutch is no big deal at all. I may even have a new stock clutch laying around here some place. If you want a barnett or something, that you would have to get. To me it really doesn't matter both are the same to install.

I will say though that the bike falling on it's face when you dump the clutch isn't what I would consider to be a failing clutch. It's so hard to compare, when the roads are slick and the air is cool my bike is terrible about getting wheel spin but as the air warms up, the pavement gets hot it takes more rpm to get past that bog point. Usually a worn clutch will show up by getting the bike to highway speed. Then without downshifting give the bike full throttle from 4k to 5k rpm. A worn clutch will usually break out a little at that point. Usually they will still hold fine in lower gears because of the mechanical advantage they have but the problems show up in high gear first because they are being ask to hold more pressure at that point.

Stock clutch is all I need, I have 17,000 miles on it. My guess is if stock lasted that long its good enough for me. Plus I don't drive it as hard as I have in the past anymore.
I will try the HWY thing when I get home tonight and let you know tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
u-rod said:
So does anyone know who in the metroplex can change the clutch for me? QUOTE]

The only dealer I am aware of in the Metroplex that is V-Rod literate is Harley Davidson of North Texas. They are on Old Denton Road in Carrollton.

Jeff is in service there and rides a V-Rod.

That is not to say that there are not others out there, but when I was looking to buy my DX I did my homework and they were the only one that passed the muster for me in sales and service.

As has been stated here, a worn clutch will show up in the higher gears, not the lower gears. On a stretch of safe, clear highway, get in 5th, pull in the clutch and then release while applying some throttle. This will cause it to slip if worn.

There are many skilled folks here that I would consider before a dealer, assuming you need some help, but you did ask for a dealer in the Metroplex that understood V-Rods, hence my answer above.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
JustSam I agree HD of north tx is about the only local dealer that seems to know or care anything about v-rods.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Max said:

It seemed to slip a little in 3rd, but not much, if at all. I have been driving it like this for about 6 months thinking it would get worse, but it seems to just stay the same. In the past I could do a burn out anytime I wanted to. Now its like driving a bus on the fast starts. My friend has a soft tail and knows I can't smoke the tries and does burn outs infront of me every chance he gets and its driving me nuts. I noticed the difference when I had a new back tire and brakes put on about 6 months ago. After that no more burn outs. Was told by American Cycles that the clutch was going bad. Max are you going to the Dallas HD Motorcylce Super Show this weekend at the Dallas Convention Center this Saturday? If so maybe you can ride my bike and give me a clue on whats wrong. I am to the point I am thinking of trading it in. :banghead:

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
u-rod said:
It seemed to slip a little in 3rd, but not much, if at all. I have been driving it like this for about 6 months thinking it would get worse, but it seems to just stay the same. In the past I could do a burn out anytime I wanted to. Now its like driving a bus on the fast starts. My friend has a soft tail and knows I can't smoke the tries and does burn outs infront of me every chance he gets and its driving me nuts. I noticed the difference when I had a new back tire and brakes put on about 6 months ago. After that no more burn outs. Was told by American Cycles that the clutch was going bad. Max are you going to the Dallas HD Motorcylce Super Show this weekend at the Dallas Convention Center this Saturday? If so maybe you can ride my bike and give me a clue on whats wrong. I am to the point I am thinking of trading it in. :banghead:

LOL

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
u-rod said:
You just said it all with the tire change. Old tires get hard and have almost no traction at all as they age. New tires are still soft and get a good bite. I can tell when my rear tire really needs to be replaced, I can start getting tire spin at 50mph as I accelerate with the turbo even on course pavement. A new tire and a good deal of the tire spin is under control for a while. Every tire uses a different compound, each one will make a difference in how the bike reacts. Some tire spin to get the engine up to speed isn't bad but a slick tire will exaggerate the spin something terrible.

Hadn't even thought about the show this weekend. Is it going to be at the Dallas convention Center again?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, its at the Convention center again. Strokers is having a toy run to the Convention Center that leaves at 10am. If you bring a toy its $5. off the price to get in I may take my little girl to it if shes not too busy, shes 13. Dang Max you get up early. Here is the link to the show. www.supershowexpo.com

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I'm with Max on this. If the engine's bogging, then that clutch is holding. When I was running the stock Dunlops, I could break it loose at just about any RPM by just goosing the throttle. The Metzlers are a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rjrivero said:
I'm with Max on this. If the engine's bogging, then that clutch is holding. When I was running the stock Dunlops, I could break it loose at just about any RPM by just goosing the throttle. The Metzlers are a bit more difficult.
I still run the Dunlop 180 and have replace it 4 times in 4 years, but I guess this one is made of something different then the ones I have had in the past. I would always smoke the tire in the parking lot as soon as they put it on to get the slippery stuff off, but could not spin this one. I think I am going to put the bike on a curb of something and do a burn out and see if I get a slip or something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts