Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
The radiator in my 2003 went bad last year so I had to replace it with a newer model. The oil cooler mounts differently to the radiator. I had to make adaptor plates. The two cooling fans were kind of single style mounted where the new ones are two fans but single mounted as one unit to the radiator. For this situation I used automotive oil cooler/transmission mount kits. This was completed last year and rode for thousands of miles with no issues. If you are creative you can do it. Otherwise you will have to update your oil cooler and cooling fans at an added cost. -Kevin

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to see you guys are still around.You've both helped me greatly in the past I would appreciate your opinion on the flowing.
My old radiator part #26722-04 and old oil cooler part #26723-04 are both obsolete with no superseding parts to replace them.
Part #26800027 is a new radiator/oil cooler kit and replaces the original F setup.Since my 07 AW shares the same old part numbers as the F #26800027 should fit with at the most slight modification or thats my logic anyway.What do you think?
I want new because v rods are the only bike that I like and mine looks new at 62000 miles and could go 150000 at which point ill get another.Even the Broken rad looks new with no sign of damage at all.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Glad to see you guys are still around.You've both helped me greatly in the past I would appreciate your opinion on the flowing.
My old radiator part #26722-04 and old oil cooler part #26723-04 are both obsolete with no superseding parts to replace them.
Part #26800027 is a new radiator/oil cooler kit and replaces the original F setup.Since my 07 AW shares the same old part numbers as the F #26800027 should fit with at the most slight modification or thats my logic anyway.What do you think?
I want new because v rods are the only bike that I like and mine looks new at 62000 miles and could go 150000 at which point ill get another.Even the Broken rad looks new with no sign of damage at all.
Can't say for sure what's needed to adapt or convert. One thing I'm quite sure of is the later rads use a GM oil line clip in method with O ring, rather then the JSC or tapered AN fittings on the earlier bikes . You might need to swap out the inlet and outlet fittings on the engine case so the new lines will plug in. I'm not sure what year they switched over to the later fittings , so you might already have them.
Ron

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
rbabos is correct the inlet and outlet fittings on the engine will need to be changed also if using a new style oil cooler. The old style oil cooler are Parker fittings if memory is correct. I bought the minimal amount of items to complete the radiator swap. My radiator leaked at 35K and I only used HD coolant with distilled water. There are other members here who have paid the dealership to perform this conversion with the same roadblocks with the oil cooler. -Kevin

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Those fittings, should you need them are Part# 63650-04K. Inlet and outlet the same so two required and these come with O ring seals and clips.
Should a clip go flying and lost, it can be had at any GM dealer. Part #15724727.
Ron

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the parts fiche at Ronnies Harley the 2016 Night Rod and 2013 Muscle share the exact same parts as my 07AW in the parts fiche including the oil lines and quick connects The only difference i see is the radiator and cooler.My concern is that the parts fiche might be wrong and that HD does not list the radiator and cooler for the 07.Dont laugh but i also found a picture of both the old radiator and the new radiator side by side and measured all the dimensions off the screen.The only thing i can think of is that the new rad does not fit the old cooler and visa versa.I would buy and replace both anyway.Thinking i might pull the trigger and but them along with new coolant hoses and oil lines.Anything else you guys think i should get for the install?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Looking at the parts fiche at Ronnies Harley the 2016 Night Rod and 2013 Muscle share the exact same parts as my 07AW in the parts fiche including the oil lines and quick connects The only difference i see is the radiator and cooler.My concern is that the parts fiche might be wrong and that HD does not list the radiator and cooler for the 07.Dont laugh but i also found a picture of both the old radiator and the new radiator side by side and measured all the dimensions off the screen.The only thing i can think of is that the new rad does not fit the old cooler and visa versa.I would buy and replace both anyway.Thinking i might pull the trigger and but them along with new coolant hoses and oil lines.Anything else you guys think i should get for the install?
All of us from mid 13 and down are in the same boat Superseded rather then obsoleted. New rad and cooler new part numbers . It is however a direct bolt on. Just pisses me off you need to buy both. 2014 and up should all have the latest versions. Don't know for a fact but hear the rad has a few more cooling tubes in the core.
Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just had to replace the rad and cooler on my 02. If I remember correctly I put an 07 on it and yes, you have to replace the rad AND cooler. And the inlet and outet fittings on the engine. And the cooling fans to the one with the mounting frame.
Bought mine from D&D Performance on ebay. $150 for rad and cooler and lines. $75 for fans and frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My name is Scott and I just bought a stock 2006 VRSCA with only 7500 miles and I really like it. I've never had a V Rod before, so in trying to learn about it I found this site and I can say it is a little disappointing to find threads like this about HD discontinuing or listing the parts for the older V Rods as obsolete. It is good to know that people are finding work arounds to retro fit newer parts to their older bikes as discussed in this very thread. So at the very least I will know where to start looking for solutions when I do run into similar problems as described here and elsewhere on this site. Thanks to all who support others here with valuable answers, suggestions and links to places to find parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.