Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first post. been lurking forever GREAT site and can always find info needed so never posted. but now I have searched but no luck to problem. i just got the pcv and cant figure how it is supposed to fit under muscle seat? no problem mounting the unit but the wire connector parts?????????????????. any pics of where you mounted yours or solutions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Holy crap I just went through this last night. It took me ten minutes, maybe, to install the power commander and about two hours to figure out how to reinstall the seat to the point that it was back on tight up against the rear fender and at the back corners!

Anyways, I installed the power commander at the location specified in the instructions on the metal plate on the left side with velcro. I routed the stock ECM plug that connected to the PC V's plug toward the front of the seat (next to the power commander) and used the zip ty to install it in the place of the fuse box. I then moved the fuse box toward the back fender and mounted it above the ECM (black metal heat sink looking thing) between the four plastic legs that stick straight up like something was supposed to be mounted there. If you do a little rerouting with the wires the fuse box will sit perfectly in that space with the fuses pointing back toward the rear fender. I moved the fuse box all the way back until the fuses sat flat against the back portion of this space in hopes that it would keep them in place. I used a thick strip of foam to seperate the fuse box from the top of the ECM. I then tucked all the wires along the left side of (looking from the back of the bike) of the plastic base that holds everything together. If you undo some of the tape holding the wires together you can actually tuck everything away nicley.

I had a tough time reinstalling the seat becuase there is a rubber post/detent type thing that maintains pressure on the metal plate at the back of the passenger seat that causes just enough friction that it keeps the seat tight up against the rear fender. I eventually figured out this rubber piece got pushed down through the hole and once I put it back on the right way every thing went back on like it should have.

The only other issue I found was I originally had the thick stock wiring harness sitting over the PC and it kept my seat from latching when down. Just route it across the left side of the PC and it should work just fine.

Not sure I this was the "right" way, but it seemed to work. I'll try and get some pictures up this evening. If there is a better way or if anyone has any warnings about the way I went about it, I'd love to hear about it. Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap I just went through this last night. It took me ten minutes, maybe, to install the power commander and about two hours to figure out how to reinstall the seat to the point that it was back on tight up against the rear fender and at the back corners!
same problem and was last night too.. i can follow most of your description but a pic sure would help. it is ridiculous 2hrs, moving twisting testing, then try the seat but the god dam strap. uuugggggggghhhhhhh. im going to "smoke" on it see if i cant get creative and see if i cant figure it out. thanks for reply. good to know im not the only one.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Can we get a picture of the rubber piece? I think I am missing mine. Damn stealer prob took it out and did not say anything to me. The seat seems snug but if it is suppose to be a piece I am missing then I want it installed..... Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll appoligized ahead of time for my ignorance of what some of these parts are called, but the rubber piece looks like a rubber stopper (or a nipple take you're pick). If you look into the opening at the front of the back fender where the metal tab slides into you will see a hole about two inches back in the black metal fender brace directly in the center. The nipple side of the black rubber stopper fits into this hole and about three quarters of it (flat side) ticks straight up as to press against the bottom of the metal tab.

I found that during the removal of the seat some how this stopper was pressed down into the hole with just a small portion still sticking up making it look like a rubber washer. I pulled it out from the bottom and reinstalled it. When you have it in your hand you will be able to see how it fits in the hole. If there is just an empty hole in the metal brace then it must have fallen off or not been installed. I would say if your seat is tight and doesnt stick up in any where without the rubber stopper then I wouldnt worry about it, but in my case it wouldn't work without it.

Prior to installing it correctly it would stick up slightly and cause the seat to rock from right to left. It would also pull away from the rear fender too easily exposing a visible gap. Good luck guys hope it helps.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
When I installed mine I reversed the location of the wires and plugs and it was very easy to install. I put the PCV in the slot the alarm module goes, it snapped in like it belonged there. I routed the plugs to the shelf where the fuse panel is and zipped tied them. No issues what so ever. I have to pull the rear seat off to access the PCV but once a map is loaded there is no real reason to have to get to it frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts