Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying the Corbin dual touring seat, and I'm debating whether it would be better to buy directly from Corbin or to buy one from another source such as V-Mod.com.

I know when you buy from Corbin you give them information like height, weight, inseam, etc. For a standard saddle, do they actually use this information? And would that information be used if I bought the seat from a different company? Any idea if the time to get the seat would be different based on where I purchased it?

In addition, any general ideas about touring seats would be appreciated. I don't mind the looks of the Harley Sundowner, but I've read that it moves you an inch or so forward. I'm 6'1'', and I'm fairly comfortable with the seating position now, but I don't think I would like being moved forward. Does anyone know if the Corbin seat moves you forward?

Thanks for any information! :notworthy

·
Registered
974 Posts
I hear they are having massive money problems.
Make darn sure whomever you get it from has it in stock .
Just my opinion.........
BobT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Corbin has built a reputation of blantant customer dis-service, incredibly slow delivery times and poor-fitting products.

If you can't ride into their manufacturing facility and have them build the seat for you right there, you will probably be in for a long wait as Corbin is notorious for incredibly long delivery times.

As for fit, look under the seat of any Corbin be-saddled bike and witness how much paint and metal is scraped away from the frame and body panels. If tight tolerances are needed for the latching mechanism, be ready with a dremel, file and lots of patience.

If you want to complain about anything to Corbin, good luck.

As for comfort, Corbins are ROCK HARD. However, they're incredibly wide and flat. If you're a heavy person, the seating position provides a huge amount of surface area to spread out your weight and can be comfortable. If you're of average weight, Corbins are just painful.

I'd try any of the many other custom manufacturer's, like Sargents, Utopia, or Russell. Many of these firms offer an unconditional return policy. Corbin won't let you return their seats.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Anybody try Mustang seats yet? I bought one from them for mt Sportster, and that is one FINE seat. Delivery time was nil, installation was abrezze, and the seat caused no harm to the bike.

Only reason I do not have one now is that I am selling my Sportster and parts. Once thats done, I am ordering one for my butt.

Here is the link:

http://www.mustangseats.com/hdcontst.htm

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered a corbin from the their Florida location and they sent it that day-it was a tight fit and took some adjustments but it looks great and is comfortable-it is hard but the foam won't fully compress so the seat is just as comfortable after 100 miles as it was when you started.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I didn't know Mustang made a seats for the V-Rod. It is good to know we have options.

I have the Sundowner seat and love it. I didn't even know I needed a more comfortable seat until I tried that one (because my girlfriend wanted a wider back seat). Compared to my last bike, the V-Rod is the lap of luxury.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information, but now I'm no closer to a decision than I was before :(

I definately need a saddle that can accomadate two people comfortably, but I don't want to be moved forward at all. I've looked at the Mustang web site but I haven't heard of one person that has the Mustang saddle for the V-Rod; therefor I've heard no opinions about them. The pictures don't look very good on their website, but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person.

I certainly don't want to spend the money on a Corbin only to find out it doesn't fit well.

The Sundowner seems reasonably priced, until you add in the cost for the fender baseplate, sissy bar, and backrest. Then it's just as expensive as everything else... Oh well. The salesman I bought my Vrod from actually has a V-Rod with the Sundowner, so maybe I'll head down to the dealer and sit on his bike for awhile.

Thanks again :cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Corbin Seat

I have a Corbin Hollywood Solo. It fit fine, has rubber feet where it rests on the frame and doesn't put my butt to sleep like the stock seat did. I think the firmness is what makes it better. Only down side is you have to buy the passenger pillion at the same time or modify your stock pillion.

Steve

·
******* Viking
113 Posts
Last year I had a biz trip planned to Florida, and I figured I'd like to pic up a new seat while I was over there. I had heard most of the ugly rumors about Corbin, yet I still decided to order a Hollywood Solo from them last year.

I called in my order directly to Corbin in Daytona (this was during bikeweek '03), and told them that I *had* to have it ready for me the following week. They promised it would be, and sure enough - it was waiting for me in the reception of my hotel in Tampa when I arrived there the followingweek. Considering that the saddle was made to order and shipped from Ca to Fl in about a week I was quite impressed with them!

As for the saddle itself I could not be more happy - top notch quality and fit, and a whole new level of comfort during long rides (500 mile + trips). The rear pillion was a tight fit, but required only some minor adjustments to a few bolts and it fit snug as a glove.

So long story short, I could not have been more happy with it!

Thor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts