Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the bikes are assembled in the KC plant. But hows about the motors? Are they assembled there or elsewhere?

Also are the parts cast here or overseas? I have heard two stories with 1 saying they have "made in germany" cast into them & the other claims its France.

Does anyone here know? If anyone does it would have to be the guys who love the bikes the most.

Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dyna I saw a film that showed the engines being assembled in KC. Where the parts are made at I can't say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought thats where they were assembled. Now i just have to find out which country produces the parts.

Thanks

Maybe Kaz or someone who has had their motor apart would know & hopefully will respond.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I really don't believe the engine is built in W Germany. Porsche had a LITTLE to do with the development, but that's ALL.

John

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Dyna,
Stay Tuned!:diablo:

·
Hooligan
416 Posts
My heads were cast in France. The engines are assembled in KC. The heads are now cast in USA and machined in Milwaukee. That is all I know, for now.;)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Ketsugo said:
Porsche had a LITTLE to do with the development, but that's ALL
A little? Harley really had not gone much beyond taking the VR-1000 race engine and said "how can we turn this into a street-going powerplant?" when they realized they didn't have the engineering expertise to do so - at that point they shipped the engine development effort en masse to Germany.

Harley engineers worked at the Porsche facility (for several years) - but virtually all of the development work (on the engine) was done there. From my understanding, it was Harley engineers who called the shots - i.e. laid down the specifications - but it was Porsche engineers who made it happen. Virtually every engineering working drawing I've ever seen for the Revolution engine is on Porsche AG titleblock - that alone should tell you something.

The Revolution engine is assembled in the Kansas City facility, under a "joint venture" agreement with Porsche. This means that Porsche manufacturing engineers are on staff permanently. I should note that neither Harley nor Porsche has been too candid about the terms of the "joint venture" agreement - but I would imagine that it means that Harley has guaranteed that they will build a certain minimum number of Revolution engines over the next several years. The "joint venture" agreement was most probably a means of spreading out the huge cost of developing the engine - but I wonder what the possible implications for other uses of the engine might be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so now we have a west germany...I thought the wall fell??

A vote for France but now USA.

Im more confused than before:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts