Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and my wife pulled into a local steak joint, she hopped off and I'm backing up into the parking space and she says holy$#!%. I jumped off and the tail light was hanging out of the hole in my back fender and the plastic peice that the wires lay on was kind of just dangling from the top left side. Upon further inspection I look under and that peice of plastic that sits right above the licence plate on the inside has rub marks from the tire. Now I got progressive 440's put on when I bought the bike because I almost never ride alone, and we also have a little weight on our sides:dance: .

Anyway why would there be somthing under there that can be touched by the tire that is f'ing retarded. When out riding we have hit some back breakers that bottomed out the shocks but I didn't think that it would hit the fender.

The red cover for the light is it just glued on? That is what it looked like

So when I take this bike in to the dealer will it be covered and am I going to be able to ride with my wife anymore WTF:banghead: :banghead: :bash:

·
Brian
136 Posts
Hey there are several threads pertaining to this problem of ejecting tail lights, not sure why some are having this problem and others are not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but I still want to know if any body had any rubbing on the under side of plastic tail light housing

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
No rubbin on my rear :)

I have hit bottom a few times, but run it a little tighter on the shocks now. Also keep my air pressure nice and full. Running a 260 metz now too, just got her on a week ago and love it. I never run two up, my wife is not into riding, but is into having me do it :D

My tail light is nice and snug so far too. Sorry you are having troubles and hope you get it all squared away soon. May be a great reason to do a mod, much like the nail in my stock rear tire prompted the 260 metz for me ;)

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
naterod said:
got progressive 440's put on when I bought the bike because I almost never ride alone, and we also have a little weight on our sides:dance: .
To date progressive does not make 440's for the DX yet. the DX is about .8 inches lower than the other bikes already and has only 2" of shock travel with a shock length of 12.65". If you have shocks less than 12.65" and or more than 2" travel you can hit the finder inside.

I ride 2-up most of the time also, and we are a bit of a load as well. I shimmed my stock shock preload up a bit and I do not hit, but I do bottom out once in a while, not to bad. I am still waiting for progressive to finish the R&D on the DX then I will buy a set of new shocks. Hopefully with more travel and 13" or more tall.

P.S. Yes I know they make 11" 12" & 13" and lots more too

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
MY_VRSCDX said:
To date progressive does not make 440's for the DX yet. the DX is about .8 inches lower than the other bikes already and has only 2" of shock travel with a shock length of 12.65". If you have shocks less than 12.65" and or more than 2" travel you can hit the finder inside.

I ride 2-up most of the time also, and we are a bit of a load as well. I shimmed my stock shock preload up a bit and I do not hit, but I do bottom out once in a while, not to bad. I am still waiting for progressive to finish the R&D on the DX then I will buy a set of new shocks. Hopefully with more travel and 13" tall.

There are guys here with 13 inch 440's (DX) stating success....and overall satisfaction. :chair: I will CUT you slack though as I used to live in Cali....LOMPOC! :rofl:

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
TEJASPECIAL said:
There are guys here with 13 inch 440's (DX) stating success..... I will CUT you slack though as I used to live in Cali....LOMPOC!
How may I ask is proving my point, cutting me some slack?????
read the reply carefully......... Oh! you are in Texas.......I under stand now!

P.S thats not how you spell Texas.....Location: DALLAS, TEJAS
But I am sure you make up for it by being able to pronounce all three E's in the word shit

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
HOLY SHIT BATMAN! It Rubs!

I got to worrying a bit about the whole tire rubbing on the finder under the light thing. So I took a flash light and a very close look, and sure enough! My stock DX rubs the plastic right under the stop light!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has not knocked the plastic loose off the finder bracket yet, but DAM that 0.8" lower does make the difference!!!! when I get new shocks I think they will be 13" or 13.5" even.

So, yes my tire rubs too!:wazzup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I lost about 3 taillights before switching to an HD led one (different base). I'm sure I'm jinxing myself but it's lasted going on 2000 miles or so.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
I lost my Heavycycles Stage II and put the stock one back on. Soon after that the lens start to lift up. Damn it!

Wire tire the connectors together so you won't loose the light. Better to have it hanging around than not there at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The progressives I got were not for the dx. THey are 13'' ande you have to shim teh inside of the bolt that you mount the top of the shock with or it will rubb.

Thanks for your info , it will give me some ammo for when I take it to the dealer this weak. they won't be able to give me any crap!

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
naterod said:
The progressives I got were not for the dx. They are 13'' and you have to shim them inside of the bolt that you mount the top of the shock with or it will rubb.
Progressive is now suppling the custom shim washers when you by shocks for the DX. they have gotten that far in the R&D so far anyway. hope they get done soon! looks like I need shocks NOW more than I had thought I would.

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
MY_VRSCDX said:
How may I ask is proving my point, cutting me some slack?????
read the reply carefully......... Oh! you are in Texas.......I under stand now!

P.S thats not how you spell Texas.....Location: DALLAS, TEJAS
But I am sure you make up for it by being able to pronounce all three E's in the word shit

get you panties out of a wad...I am just joking.....

disclaimer...use j/k from now on :rofl: J/K = JOKING....

TEJAS is TEXAS in Latin........ duh... :moon:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts