Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If I'm out and about, then I use alarm and fork lock. In the garage, alarm, fork lock and wheel lock. Probably overkill, but you never know...

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Depends when I am out where I am. Usually just my alarm, but if away from my bike for awhile or bad area Alarm, Disc lock and Fork lock. Sometimes, use my Master Lock Street Cuffs to a solid unmovable item.

In the Garage, No locks at all with Keys in the Safe.:D:D:D:D

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
On the street, I use a Kryptonite bicycle lock through a wheel on the 'Barge and they both have alarm systems.

At home, well... I can't give away ALL our secrets!

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Since mine is white...I park it in the closest snowbank......no on see's it there.
I have to let the tire chains off because they stand out....haven't had time to paint them white yet. :rofl:

At night I put about 32 pillows around it...and sleep on it.......really comfortable and everyone knows what to get me for Christmas....pillows (white of course). :rofl:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a HD front brake disk lock.. it won't fit on the front wheel, so I use it on the back (God I hope I never forget it's there)

Fork lock and alarm is my standard normally however.

KBOlsen... to a thief wants your bike.. at least a competent thief with equipemt to steal bikes.. a bicycle lock is just a toy. Oh well.. I guess it might deter the average street punk from trying anything stupid though.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
I'm lucky if I remember to take out my key. To trusting here in the midwest I guess.

Getting ready to move to the east coast, better look into one of those brake disc lock thingies.

·
1,738 Posts
I don't lock the bike in daylight when parked on busy main streets, but I probably should. A friend of mine recently had his locked GSXR stolen from a lighted parking garage. Thieves simply throw sportbikes into their vans or pickups and drive off. He was parked next to a Road King which was too heavy for them, or perhaps not thier cup of tea. I hope the weight of the V-Rod deters this type of slimebag, because fork locks and disc locks won't.

Fred

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
DCLittlejohn said:
I bought a HD front brake disk lock.. it won't fit on the front wheel, so I use it on the back (God I hope I never forget it's there)

Fork lock and alarm is my standard normally however.

KBOlsen... to a thief wants your bike.. at least a competent thief with equipemt to steal bikes.. a bicycle lock is just a toy. Oh well.. I guess it might deter the average street punk from trying anything stupid though.
The bicycle lock works just as well as any disc lock... which is really minimal protection considering two guys with a length of pipe can just pick the front end up and wheel your baby away. My expectation is that the alarm will go off as soon as it senses that the angle of the bike is changing plus disable the ignition system... and the combination will prevent the simple 'break-ignition-lock-start-up-and-ride-away" opportunistic incident which seems to be the more common means of theft.

It takes a team of pro thieves less than a minute to haul off your 'pride and joy', and realistically, if they want it badly enough... consider it gone. More important than any deterrent system is a full-coverage insurance policy underwritten by a reputable company. Having a motorcycle stolen is a major inconvenience (as well as a very personal violation) but it can always be replaced.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
KBOlsen said:
Having a motorcycle stolen is a major inconvenience (as well as a very personal violation) but it can always be replaced.
Number 7 might be kinda hard to replace......

HoldHard

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I'm with you mjw-----

Sig P229 .40 cal. disc lock, steering lock, alarm, dog in garage with garage door locked and my truck up so close to the door you couldnt get her out anyway. But, if they really want it, they are gonna get it...

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
In the garage I just turn it off and walk inside. Garage door down of course. Alarm on in the garage - ie zoned house alarm. At work, I used to use a disc lock and fork lock. Now I'm lazy and its a secure carpark and I know all the tenants in the building , so just turn it off and come up in the lift. If I leave it outside when I'm out and about, fork lock and disc lock with a curly thing from the disc lock to the handlebars so I don't forget it;s on.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Wow you guys are serious, I lock the fork and set the alarm when out. When I'm home I could leave the key in the bike, I have a 125LB. Rottie. :twisted: I think if anyone even looked at my bike she'd rip their head off. I don't even have a disk lock, heard too many stories of people forgetting to remove them. :stupid:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Usually just the steering lock.In the garage no locks.I have a video on always.I have had alot of mini bikes and stuff stolen.I usually carry a S&W 40 cal.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
When I'm out and about I use the fork lock and alarm.When it's parked in the garage I just turn it off,and walk inside.
I have insurance,If it gets stolen,I'll just replace it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
12 gauge, or my .357 magnum. I personally love the 12 gauge, but will grab whatever is handy, 9mm, .357, 30-30, .308, 20 gauge, etc. When out and about, just the security system and the fork lock. I usually try to park next to poles or something, trucks can't just drive up with a lift and grab the bike. Parking in plain site doesnt hurt either! Even then, I usually have at least a 9mm on me. Thank god for Concealed carry permits!

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
At home: fork lock and HD alarm w/siren in locked garage
At work: fork lock and HD alarm w/siren
When traveling with my buddy: fork lock, HD alarm w/ siren, and we each have a Kryptonite NewYork fuhgeddaboudit chain w/disc lock. We chain our two V-Rods together, so if they think they're just gonna pick one up and carry it off... :alien: :alien:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts