Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long HD stocks parts for discontinued bikes? Should I get parts I may need in the future now before they’re gone? Thinking about rear brake line assembly, and rear breather hose. 06 VRSCD.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Mfgr's are required to maintain a parts supply for 7 years after the last year in which they were used. There will still be after market but I would not depend on it.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I was wondering how long HD stocks parts for discontinued bikes? Should I get parts I may need in the future now before they’re gone? Thinking about rear brake line assembly, and rear breather hose. 06 VRSCD.
Should have started a long time ago...lol.

I worry about this too. Accessories are one thing, but critical parts are going to be a challenge as time goes on. Guess that’s a business opportunity for someone...

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I've already started "COLLECTING" parts. I'm not a hoarder but will be just like one of those guys that you see on "American Pickers" with the whole garage filled with old motorcycle parts. Mine will be only Vrod stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is why i got rid of my warrior, after speaking to yamaha u.s.a. was told yamaha only supports the cancelled bikes for 5 years.

i hope this is different for hd but i did get the v rod as a collector bike

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Personally I don't believe H-D has any intention of doing anything beyond living out of the parts count currently in inventory. Support for 5 Years ? 7 Years ? I've even heard 10 Years ( for Cars, Pickups ) I doubt it with H-D. Ordering parts and having them sit on the shelf is anti- profit and most of it is taxable yearly. Enter Vintage Parts and the like who often shelf all the parts for H-D then resell them back to them and to us. What can we really do - Sue 'em? I order parts every couple weeks in advance of building my next engine and what I get many times is that " that P/N is OBSOLETE ", so it takes extra work finding parts out of dealers stock. The good news is the V Rod & Revo is so reliable those parts should last a long time - but absolutely if you want to keep your bike long term buy select anticipated parts and known breakage/leakage items or like mikew a parts bike for the corner of your garage. I just sold an '03 Anniversary Edition because it was just too damn nice to part out, so I'm going to look for another R model, with prices 4-5K a pretty good investment.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I find parts all over the place. I love insurance auctions. Insurance companies will total a bike for some of the littlest things. Drop your bike in your garage after a ride and you forgot to put down the kickstand?...somebody back into it in a parking lot?...maybe it didn't swim in a flood?.

My '03 parts bike was at a dealer sitting in the back missing too many parts. The '05 was on Craigslist. The owner missed a turn and ran it 60 yards down the side of a hill. Most of the time, These bikes find me instead of my finding them.

Now there's 2 spare motors, spare frame (that I use as a jig), 5+ spare sets of tins, about a dozen crates of small parts and too many damn rims.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I find parts all over the place. I love insurance auctions. Insurance companies will total a bike for some of the littlest things. Drop your bike in your garage after a ride and you forgot to put down the kickstand?...somebody back into it in a parking lot?...maybe it didn't swim in a flood?.

My '03 parts bike was at a dealer sitting in the back missing too many parts. The '05 was on Craigslist. The owner missed a turn and ran it 60 yards down the side of a hill. Most of the time, These bikes find me instead of my finding them.

Now there's 2 spare motors, spare frame (that I use as a jig), 5+ spare sets of tins, about a dozen crates of small parts and too many damn rims.
"too many damn rims" One doesn't happen to be a Muscle rear does it!!
:D

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
"too many damn rims" One doesn't happen to be a Muscle rear does it!!
:D
No Muscle rims. :rolleyes: some of those "pain in the butt" early solid ones, '07-'11 rears, '07-'11 laced fronts, '12 front, and another set of Buell XBs.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Not much of a hoarder, but I did just pick up a font and rear breather hose that were inexpensive-- because those hoses NEVER dry rot- and you just know they'll be impossible to find down the line.

Heh.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
ive got enough spares to replace any damage ,motor,and frame parts,bought over the years rather than waste giving to insurance company.now i have the parts and get to keep insurance premiums.over time this has worksd well for me

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
I agree. HD is not to be trusted to carry parts for 7 years as the law requires. I believe they are already in violation on certain items. For example, I tried to order a 150T narrow belt (i.e. for European 30T front sprockets, used in SC & TC) and their computer said "discontinued" or words to that effect.

So I said: "You mean to tell me that a V-rod sold just last year in Europe, if it breaks a belt, the bike is a write-off? How exactly does that endear anyone to ever buy another Harley? Not that I'd ever waste my money on a push-rod air-cooled PoS. If I were in that camp, I'd go to Indian first. ".

In other words, I think it a good idea to catch and record these violations for the possibility of having to launch a class action law suit. We have the numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. HD is not to be trusted to carry parts for 7 years as the law requires. I believe they are already in violation on certain items. For example, I tried to order a 150T narrow belt (i.e. for European 30T front sprockets, used in SC & TC) and their computer said "discontinued" or words to that effect.

So I said: "You mean to tell me that a V-rod sold just last year in Europe, if it breaks a belt, the bike is a write-off? How exactly does that endear anyone to ever buy another Harley? Not that I'd ever waste my money on a push-rod air-cooled PoS. If I were in that camp, I'd go to Indian first. ".

In other words, I think it a good idea to catch and record these violations for the possibility of having to launch a class action law suit. We have the numbers.
This is kind of disappointing to hear because I recently bought a used 2006 VRSCA which seemed like a great deal for $5.4k and only 7.5K miles on it, but if parts will become scarce or impossible to find, then it's not a great deal.

When I bought it, the front brake lever had a pulse in it, so I had the dealer check it out and they recommended new rotors, but they had to order them, at least they are still available. I did ask if the bike being discontinued would become a problem for getting parts in the future, and the parts counter guy assured me that it would not be, but your story above suggests otherwise?

I'm now thinking that maybe I should buy a few consumables now in hopes of keeping up with expected maintenance for at least the next several years, maybe some brake pads and hoses and a drive belt, does anyone else have any suggestions on other parts before they're gone?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
This is kind of disappointing to hear because I recently bought a used 2006 VRSCA which seemed like a great deal for $5.4k and only 7.5K miles on it, but if parts will become scarce or impossible to find, then it's not a great deal.

When I bought it, the front brake lever had a pulse in it, so I had the dealer check it out and they recommended new rotors, but they had to order them, at least they are still available. I did ask if the bike being discontinued would become a problem for getting parts in the future, and the parts counter guy assured me that it would not be, but your story above suggests otherwise?

I'm now thinking that maybe I should buy a few consumables now in hopes of keeping up with expected maintenance for at least the next several years, maybe some brake pads and hoses and a drive belt, does anyone else have any suggestions on other parts before they're gone?
Lesson no 1 "dealers tell lies"
As Russ said there are already a few numbers disappeared from the parts list and searches show them up as discontinued. I don't think things like brake pads will be a problem as after market suppliers will always produce stuff like that. Breather hoses would be a good one to keep.
On a good note, for a Harley they are pretty reliable so I don't think you need to worry too much at the moment

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.