Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the bike in 2009 used from a dealer
it is a 04b. The tires looked new when i bought the bike
the bike had 3500miles on it when i bought it, i have put 12000km on it since.
Tires still look and handle good - they are the stock dunlops
when should i be considering new tires?
Thanx

·
Registered
837 Posts
Im guessing you mean 3500 kms, so you figure these tires have 15500 Km's?

You could take a pic or measure the tread depth. A new tire will ride and handle alot better, that much is for sure.

Im guessing you have some time to try and hunt down a good deal on some.

I think BumboBee is up to 17000 kms on stockers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cracking, they do not look dry.
The bike came from the US, and it had a imperial (mph) speed cluster on it. It had 3500 miles on it
I bought a new kmph speedo cluster and started at zero.
So there is 12000km and 3500 miles on them.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
No cracking, they do not look dry.
The bike came from the US, and it had a imperial (mph) speed cluster on it. It had 3500 miles on it
I bought a new kmph speedo cluster and started at zero.
So there is 12000km and 3500 miles on them.
If you got that many miles on them then you aint riding it hard enough... :angeldev:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yea I have 17,000 + KM on my stock Dunlops and they are still pretty good although the middle is almost there, due to our amazing flat/straight roads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stock Dunlops should be replaced before the bike leaves the dealership.
No really, lol. Mine are getting replaced before they get near being done with. I really dont like them for how hard I ride.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
your tires are at least 6 years old, and very likely closer to 8 years. Just for the age factor I would replace them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damn, mine had 2300 miles on them and the dealer said i need new tires. The bike is babied and not ridden hard at all. Not even close to hard.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Run 'em bald or till they get screwed or nailed.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
No really, lol. Mine are getting replaced before they get near being done with. I really dont like them for how hard I ride.
No really. They are "adequate" tires at best. For relatively not much you can increase the handling 3 fold.

I also will not run tires that are more than 3 years old or so. Regardless of tread, the rubber compound goes thru changes and dry rot is a huge issue with bike tires. Cars not so much but your scoot -Ya only got 2!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I didnt know how bad the dunlops were untill I put on a set of avon cobra's, they ride so good it didnt feel like the same bike. Drastically improved handling. If I knew then what I know now I would have never put 13K on the dunlops.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I haven't read the responses but the answer is pretty simple. If they're damaged or if the wear indicators are flush with the tread. Doesn't matter if they have 5 or 50,000 miles. Damage can be dry rot too, so tires with very low miles can be shit if they have sat unprotected for too long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dont worry about the age of the tire, More the wear factor, Ive got a 1975 ct70 honda mini trail with original tires and i still ride it!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Stock Dunlops should be replaced before the bike leaves the dealership.
This is a fact.If you were smart enough to buy the tire hazard protection plan,it will cover the replacement without a question because the type of dunlops that come on a V-Rod from the factory are hazardous.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Dont worry about the age of the tire, More the wear factor, Ive got a 1975 ct70 honda mini trail with original tires and i still ride it!
70cc trail bike vs 1130 street bike, is not a direct relation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts